Crystal Palace and PDL in 07

USL Release

TAMPA, FL -- United Soccer Leagues announced Friday that Crystal Palace FC, which recently launched an Academy and Developmental Club in the United States called Crystal Palace FC USA, will launch an expansion Premier Development League team, Crystal Palace Baltimore FC, in 2007 in Baltimore, Maryland.

http://www.canadakicks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=225&Itemid=9

That's an interesting development. I remember Palace doing a similar thing in Australia in the late 90's. They had to relinquish that agreement when they hit financial troubles. However, now they're a club that seem to be going places and I reckon players in Baltimore area can really benefit from that, as well as Palace themselves. So many fans have wanted a Baltimore team for years - now's the chance.

Good stuff. Palace will be coming to the Northeast USA in the summer during their pre-season and playing against Virginia Beach and the LA Galaxy.

It's 6am, and Palace in the playoffs are an hour away and I can't sleep. Setanta Broadband has been ordered to watch the streaming video. COME ON YOU EAGLES!!! :D

Crystal_Palace_FC_USA.jpg

Crystal Palace 0-3 Watford

_41643416_king.jpg

GET IN THERE!!!

Some great promotion photos galleries at the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/photo_galleries/4979946.stm

Oh, back to the topic at hand. It's a slippery slope having farm teams in the USL. Perhaps it's fine in the PDL, but what if one or two USL D2 clubs become farm teams? Or what if a USL D1 club becomes an MLS farm team?

And what if Palace become tight again and cancel the deal? Baltimore gets screwed over. Independent clubs seem much more stable in my mind.

But beggars can't be choosers, I guess. To be fair, it's not like potential owners were lining up to bring in independent PDL or D2/D1 clubs to Baltimore. Plus, the sport isn't big enough to have separate reserve leagues, so perhaps this is necessary (for now).

Archived