Audio updates - Hampton & Richmond playoff push

Billericay Town (6th) vs. Hampton & Richmond Borough (5th)

Ryman League Playoff Decider!

Hampton & Richmond Borough FC, of the English Ryman Isthmian League Premier Division (level 7 of the pyramind) play their final league match of the season away to Billericay Town.

Hampton are currently 5th (the final playoff spot), and take on Billericay, who are 6th. To make things even more tense, Billericay are three points behind Hampton, but have a better goal difference.

So:

Hampton win = Hampton in Ryman League playoffs

Draw = Hampton in Ryman League playofs

Hampton lose = Hampton not in Ryman League playoffs

The eventual winner of the playoffs will be promoted to the Conference South, so a lot is on the line!

Hampton narrowly missed out on a playoff spot last season, as Leyton finished 5th and Hampton were 6th - tied for points, but Leyton better in goal difference.

Will this be the year Canadian strikers Elliott Godfrey and Jon Henry-Hayden take Hampton to a higher level?

Radio Jackie will feature this match, with a live preview at 2:50pm UTC (9:50am ET, 6:50am PT), and regular reports during the game, half time and full time.

Listen online at:

http://www.radiojackie.com/

Great result for H&R! Nice that one of the cannucks got the goal too. They'll play either Fisher Athletic or Heybridge Swifts in the 1st round of the play-offs. I'm not sure how AFC Wimbledon got on today (home to Harrow Borough) but H&R were only two points behind before today so could go 4th if they lost.

That means that Hampton will play Heybridge over two legs in the 1st round of the play-offs. They must have won at Slough Town today as people on their messageboard are saying they're playing Hampton now. Fisher Athletic only drew at home to Chelmsford City and AFC Wimbledon won 2-1 at home to Harrow Borough. That means Hampton finished 5th, 2pts behind AFC. I believe the 1st leg is on Monday, which is a Bank Holiday here.

It appears that Hampton & Richmond's play-off series with Heybridge Swifts is only one game this season, not the usual home and away format. They kick off at 3pm (GMT) today. Elliot Godfrey and Jon Henry-Hayden are both available. The winner of today's game will played the winner of the AFC Wimbledon vs Fisher Athletic game on Saturday 6th May. The home team will be the highest placed league side so Hampton will be away if they win today.

According to the Hampton message board, they won. It doesn't give a score but says Dudley Gardner scored the winning goal for Hampton? If so then only one game to go for Hampton until the Conference South!

Cheers to everyone for their support and kind words for Hampton and their two Canadian strikers this season. And especial thanks to those who contributed to the Voyageurs' sponsorship of Elliott Godfrey for the 2005/06 season.

This summer I'll be releasing some photos of the matches I attended, and possibly some audio highlights of the promotion run.

If Godfrey and Henry-Hayden are still at the club next season, I'll try to organize the sponsorship again - and hopefully for both Godfrey and Henry-Hayden this time around. Would be nice to see the maple leaf beside both their faces in the Hampton matchday programs and website!

Thanks for the updates again! Hampton have had a great season and did well to get this far. Fisher were always going to be a tough nut to crack. Godfrey in particular has had a good season. I know a few clubs were interesting in signing him this season, maybe he'll get the chance to play at a higher level next season. Certainly if he and Henry-Hayden are at Beveree in 06-07, I'd be interested in contributing to their sponsorship.

Archived