2005/2006 UEFA Cup Semifinals (R)

Daniel

WOW, what a game between Middlesborough and Steaua Bucarest.

Steaua, after winning 1-0 at home, took an early 2-goal lead, which meant Middlesborough had to score 4. It seems that the home team then had 80% of the possession and scored 4 goals between the 33rd minute and the 89th. Ridiculous.

Sevilla is leading Schalke in the other semi in extra-time, but a draw by the Germans will see them through.

Guest Jeffery S.

Two England-Spain finals in the two European cups this year.

UEFA goes May 10 in Eindhoven.

Champions final at Saint Denis on May 17.

The Spain-Schalke series was very well played and tremendously competitive. Both teams have real quality. Watch for Palop, the keeper, and a few unknown players at Sevilla like Marti, Navas. Kanoute and Saviola is a strong strike force as well.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

WOW, what a game between Middlesborough and Steaua Bucarest.

Steaua, after winning 1-0 at home, took an early 2-goal lead, which meant Middlesborough had to score 4. It seems that the home team then had 80% of the possession and scored 4 goals between the 33rd minute and the 89th. Ridiculous.

And 3 of those goals were between the 64th and 89th.

And for something really ridiculous, compare to the second leg of their quarterfinal against Basel. Basel won 2-0 at home and led 1-0 away, so Middlesbrough needed 4 goals there as well. Here is their scoring for both second legs:

vs Basel     vs Steaua
33' Viduka 33' Maccarone
57' Viduka 64' Viduka
79' Hasselbaink 73' Riggot
90' Maccarone 89' Maccarone[/code]

Maccarone first made a name for himself with Empoli a few years ago, earning a call to the national team and a big transfer to Middlesbrough. He has apparently not justified that money since arriving, but these two goals should cement his legacy there now, especially if they go on to win the Cup. Speaking of which, with these two wins and squeaking by both Stuttgart and Roma on away goals in the previous two rounds, they seem to be a team of destiny...

Go Sevilla! [:P]

EDIT: I watched a bit of the end of the match on GolTV's repeat broadcast. Hey announcers, "Maccarone" is NOT pronounced "macaroni". [xx(]

Middlesbrough F.C. have been unbelievably gracious hosts to numerous visits by Edmonton youth soccer teams in the past four years to their phenomenal training facilities (plus free tickets to a bunch of games), they have given extended trials to at least three young Canadian players and signed at least one (Sean Saiko) to their academy. They are definitely a future conduit for young Canadian soccer players. Based on their decidedly pro-Canadian stance, I'm pulling for Middlesbrough!!!

Go Boro!!!

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Ashton Gate

Middlesbrough F.C. have been unbelievably gracious hosts to numerous visits by Edmonton youth soccer teams in the past four years to their phenomenal training facilities (plus free tickets to a bunch of games), they have given extended trials to at least three young Canadian players and signed at least one (Sean Saiko) to their academy. They are definitely a future conduit for young Canadian soccer players. Based on their decidedly pro-Canadian stance, I'm pulling for Middlesbrough!!!

Go Boro!!!

I don't dislike Boro either, and am not traditionally a Sevilla supporter as I prefer Betis. Have softened on Sevilla lately as they are a serious club with a fine signing policy, their president is acting responsibly, and their players are honest and hard working.

Sevilla is a damn serious side , can move the ball well, and I seriously doubt they'd let Boro back in a game the way Steaua did. If they can get ahead in the final I am quite sure they can hold on better than some of Boro's other rivals.

Absolute madness. How could you not love this tourny? And for Middlesbrough the moneys still far, far and away exceed anything they'd take home from any of the domestic Cup competitions. That's Europe for you. A real windfall.

Maybe this all may be part of Middlesbrough's problem this year though. Takes more than 60 minutes of footie to win most matchs in the EPL...

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Maybe this all may be part of Middlesbrough's problem this year though. Takes more than 60 minutes of footie to win most matchs in the EPL...

Nah, its just that anything can happen in knockout competitions. They also put together a long run in the FA Cup.

Archived