How is Holger doing as MNT Coach these days?

canadiandude

If a coach doesn't have the confidence of his players and if he's in fact openly feuding with them what does that do for team chemistry? And lets face it chemistry is all the team might've had during Holger's era, that and the "Canuck spirit" we hear about in FIFA match reports. The complaints were coming from other players as well, not just Bircham whom I have no idea why you hate so much. They said that he was treating them like children with strict curfews and talking down to them in training etc. I don't know the details but I'm sure someone here could fill you in.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

If a coach doesn't have the confidence of his players and if he's in fact openly feuding with them what does that do for team chemistry? And lets face it chemistry is all the team might've had during Holger's era, that and the "Canuck spirit" we hear about in FIFA match reports. The complaints were coming from other players as well, not just Bircham whom I have no idea why you hate so much. They said that he was treating them like children with strict curfews and talking down to them in training etc. I don't know the details but I'm sure someone here could fill you in.

You mean he was acting like a coach with expectations? Under Holger we finally had a coach who thought losing 1-0 wasn't good enough. That he expected second division career players to behave and play like premier level pros.

Anyway. If Frankie can get us to the WC in 2010, then he will have surpassed Holger.

If not, it's been a waste of 7 years.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

So of course by that standard, Holger was a waste of 4 years, correct? Or with your math, 7 years, even though he served during 4.

This should bring joy to you:

"Menezes was also selected by Canada’s head coach Frank Yallop to attend the Canadian Men’s National Team training camp scheduled for May 1-8 in Fort Lauderdale. Menezes has 27 caps for the World Cup squad, and returns to the team after a three-year absense."

That crazy Yallop getting all aroused by Menezes once again, only after Tony signs on with the mighty mighty lynx. I heard that Marco Ritzi has come out of retirement and signed with the Ottawa Fury PDL team.

Hopefully Yallop will give him a look.

Guest Domi Rulezz
quote:Originally posted by G-Man

This should bring joy to you:

"Menezes was also selected by Canada’s head coach Frank Yallop to attend the Canadian Men’s National Team training camp scheduled for May 1-8 in Fort Lauderdale. Menezes has 27 caps for the World Cup squad, and returns to the team after a three-year absense."

That crazy Yallop getting all aroused by Menezes once again, only after Tony signs on with the mighty mighty lynx. I heard that Marco Ritzi has come out of retirement and signed with the Ottawa Fury PDL team.

Hopefully Yallop will give him a look.

Is this supposed to be funny? It has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation (or lack thereof) at hand. But I suppose that's par for the course with you.

And how exactly is Yallop is "getting all aroused by Menezes once again</u>", even though the article clearly states that he is returning after a three-year absense, which pre-dates Yallop's hiring?

Maybe you're trying to say that Yallop is looking at one of Holger's favourites after seemingly never calling him before, which in itself is a valid point. But remember that Holger is the one who turned off a lot of players from playing for Canada, so maybe it is only now that Tony wants to play again for Canada. Who knows?

quote:Originally posted by Domi Rulezz

Is this supposed to be funny? It has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation (or lack thereof) at hand. But I suppose that's par for the course with you.

And how exactly is Yallop is "getting all aroused by Menezes once again</u>", even though the article clearly states that he is returning after a three-year absense, which pre-dates Yallop's hiring?

Maybe you're trying to say that Yallop is looking at one of Holger's favourites after seemingly never calling him before, which in itself is a valid point. But remember that Holger is the one who turned off a lot of players from playing for Canada, so maybe it is only now that Tony wants to play again for Canada. Who knows?

Wow, this thread is so random.

The thing is the press release is wrong as Yallop already had a look at Menezes in the B-team camp in the summer of '04. From all reports he didn't impress. Not sure why he's being taken away from his team.

So, I think both of your points are moot.

quote:Originally posted by canadiandude

Its shocking to hear Osiek was fired. I guess I should read this board more. I am a die hard Canadian soccer follower, and follow every single game and event involving our team. I hope things get better now that a new coach is in charge.

???

quote:Originally posted by canadiandude

Its shocking to hear Osiek was fired. I guess I should read this board more. I am a die hard Canadian soccer follower, and follow every single game and event involving our team. I hope things get better now that a new coach is in charge.

Welcome to 2003 :D

quote:Originally posted by River City

Weren't most of the Central American countries in the middle of civil wars in the 80's, making it easier for Canada to qualify?

I'm biased towards Holger because his work as a Technical Director was kick ass. I actually read his report on Canadian soccer infrastructure and was impressed. I'd rank Holger first and Waiters second.

You are correct about all the problems in Central America, making it next to impossible for them to organize national teams. Even Costa Rica, who did not have civil disturbances at that time, was in a bit of an economic crisis then, but their soccer team did not really get going for a few years after. There success since then has a lot to do with continuing overall problems in the other Central American countries.

However, that does not diminsh Waiters fine record of getting us there, using mainly NASL players and drawing on our few strengths (mainly defensive). For this, he has to be #1 for now.

Holgers was a great tech guy, but as an overall coach, he few short in a few departments.

quote:Originally posted by River City

Weren't most of the Central American countries in the middle of civil wars in the 80's, making it easier for Canada to qualify?

I'm biased towards Holger because his work as a Technical Director was kick ass. I actually read his report on Canadian soccer infrastructure and was impressed. I'd rank Holger first and Waiters second.

He is pretty much like Bobby Houghton,a Fifa lecturer like him, who wrote books on soccer, but has been bouncing around in many coaching jobs in China. Always better in theory than in practice. His team plays very conservative style of soccer and never flexible enough to be a successful coach of a national team. I'm looking foward to reading his FIFA official technical analysis of world cup games.

Archived