How is Holger doing as MNT Coach these days?

canadiandude

erm? we've won 16 on the trot including an 8-0 drubbing of the americans with goals from bunbury, mitchell, limniatis, and 4 from samuel who filled in as attacking central midfielder. we've been ranked second behind martinique in the world rankings and are the odds on favourites to win the world cup for the third year running.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Well, I don't think Forrest would've scored those 3 goals at Atzec without the brillant play of Joey Torchia and Terry Dunfield, they were patrolling the midfield like Aunger and Miller.

Have to admit I was a surprised when Holger switched to a 3-3-3 after we went down to 9 men. Talk about ballsie. Proved to be a great call in the end though.

Great call.

quote:Originally posted by canadiandude

I have not checked into the national team for a little while and i am wondering how mr. osiek is doing in his performance as Canadian Coach

thanks

we've actually done much much worse since he left.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

It's the G-Man school of trolling.

Exhibit A: G-Man believes, nay, *knows* that gravity actually flings everything into space, and not the commonly believed opposite.

All I know is this. Both failed horribly to get us to the Hex, let alone NEAR the world cup. Oh Holger did get Canada into the HEX. Me bad.

AND Holger has a Gold Cup Championship and a trip to the Confed Cup. Which matters more than beating Austria in a meaningless friendly or Cuba 2-1 in the 2005 Gold Cup.

C-Side!

And why not compare Holger's first 20 against Yallops first 20? I know why cause you can make stats say anything you want them to. I'm surprised you didn't bring out the corner for corner's against stat in Yallops first game vs Holger's game against Brazil.

But Silverware actually matters. And when you call me a troll, an angel loses his wings...

osieck3.jpg

Holger coaching a World Cup Champion. And to think the CSA fired him over the fact that Marc Birchman's ego was hurt.

And here's Franks defining moment:

Signing Chris Carrieri. t1_carrieri_all-01.jpg

I'd take the Holger era without the players whinning, over Yallop's country club.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

And why not compare Holger's first 20 against Yallops first 20? I know why cause you can make stats say anything you want them to. I'm surprised you didn't bring out the corner for corner's against stat in Yallops first game vs Holger's game against Brazil.

There was method to my madness. I used Holger's last 20 to Frank's first 20 because that would help control for strength of the team. The team and players available were very different between Holger's first 20 and Yallop's first 20. I thought this might give a better statistical representation of how well each coach has done with the players available as it isolates the effect the manager had in each game. In my opinion of course.

I also used 20 because Frank's only had 20 games so far. If I went last 10 to first 10 I think it was 4-6-0 (Holger) to 4-4-2 (Frank).

I agree with you though that neither have been stellar (especially WCQ-wise). This wasn't a defence of Yallop or a post to make you look foolish (as I actually think you sometimes have good things to say if you can wade through all the rhetoric). I was just genuinely surprised to see the records.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Have to admit I was a surprised when Holger switched to a 3-3-3 after we went down to 9 men. Talk about ballsie. Proved to be a great call in the end though.

Great call.

Well how about the three-player substitution he made at the 75th minute? Getting the three Imhoff brothers upfront was pure genius!

It really helped our long-ball strategy, just like the 5-4-1 against

Mexico in Azteca!

:D

Okay, the first and second attempt-at-humour-replies were a bit funny (well, no they weren't) but it's getting silly.

Can any of you name the head coach of our national basketball, baseball, rugby, or any other national teams? Hell, can any of you name the head coach of our national hockey team? No, you can't, at least not with out Google.

Maybe the original poster was serious. Besides, Holger has been the most successful Canadian soccer coach ever. :D

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Can any of you name the head coach of our national basketball, baseball, rugby, or any other national teams? Hell, can any of you name the head coach of our national hockey team? No, you can't, at least not with out Google.

Without Google, these are my answers:

Basketball - Leo Rautins

Baseball - Ernie Whitt

Rugby - Don't know (I believe he's Australian though)

Hockey - Marc Habscheid

Whether I'm right or not I'm not entirely sure... :D

Weren't most of the Central American countries in the middle of civil wars in the 80's, making it easier for Canada to qualify?

I'm biased towards Holger because his work as a Technical Director was kick ass. I actually read his report on Canadian soccer infrastructure and was impressed. I'd rank Holger first and Waiters second.

quote:Originally posted by River City

Weren't most of the Central American countries in the middle of civil wars in the 80's, making it easier for Canada to qualify?

I'm biased towards Holger because his work as a Technical Director was kick ass. I actually read his report on Canadian soccer infrastructure and was impressed. I'd rank Holger first and Waiters second.

First we qualify by beating Haiti, Guatemala, Honduras and drawing twice with Costa Rica in 1986 so I'm not sure how we can diminish the fact that Canada got the only spot available for CONCACAF in 86, a team who almost qualify for 1982 and did well in 1984 in Los Angeles.

We are talking about coaches, not TD. That's why Waiters has to come on top, he's the only one who has been able to get us to a WC. Holger didn't even get close to that. Of course I'm pretty sure Holger is a better soccer mind than Waiters but I rank coaches with results.

quote:Originally posted by River City

First we qualify by beating Haiti, Guatemala, Honduras and drawing twice with Costa Rica in 1986 so I'm not sure how we can diminish the fact that Canada got the only spot available for CONCACAF in 86, a team who almost qualify for 1982 and did well in 1984 in Los Angeles.

We are talking about coaches, not TD. That's why Waiters has to come on top, he's the only one who has been able to get us to a WC. Holger didn't even get close to that. Of course I'm pretty sure Holger is a better soccer mind than Waiters but I rank coaches with results.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

This sentence proves you have no idea.

Stop commenting on that which you know nothing about.

I still remember when Holger was let go. The players, including Birchman, were complaigning that Holger was mean to them and they weren't going to play for Canada as long as he was coach.

Whah Whah Whah.

Archived