Why No Friendlies Against World Cup Teams?

Ian Kennett

I have to wonder why Canada is not sheduled to play any friendlies against World Cup bound teams this Spring. What have you guys heard about possible reasons, what are your opinions, and what have you heard about games that may be happening, but have not yet been announced?

Cheers!

quote:Originally posted by Ian Kennett

I have to wonder why Canada is not sheduled to play any friendlies against World Cup bound teams this Spring. What have you guys heard about possible reasons, what are your opinions, and what have you heard about games that may be happening, but have not yet been announced?

Cheers!

I doubt the CSA knows who to contact in other countries to get games.

Guest Jeffery S.

Money is clearly a factor. The Catalan regional side has announced a May 24 game vs. Costa Rica, probably in Camp Nou. The Catalans pay all costs to have a World Cup team, will probably get most back from the gate.

If we want to be invited without paying we have to be an attractive opponent for the team (eg with a playing style that might correspond to that of a rival in the first group), or we have to be a decent draw at the gate. We could be the first if someone thought we were similar to a WC side, though I think we are not considered such. Obviously we are not a draw at the gate.

The best alternative before the WC was to play against some of the teams who'll be playing the USA the last week of may (Venezuela, Morocco and Latvia). I think the CSA has still time to set up something against one or two of these teams.

BTW, Cdn4ever in another thread has suggested that Canada was gonna play a game before the WC. And he seems to have some info. Let's hope we'll have an announcement soon.

Archived