MLS Fan Violence Video

Grizzly

Guest Jeffery S.

Pretty minor stuff.

Seems though that they have no idea about crowd control in DC or in MLS, don't know which it would be.

I have had supporters of other teams beside me in a stadium with no problem, but if you can anticipate problems, better to physically separate opposing fans.

Entrance to and exit of the stadium should be controlled. If that is costly, well you are going to have to balance what you make by having opposing team fans with the expenditure of ensuring their safety and that of your own supporters.

Basically UEFA does this right, even when there is no real threat or no history of serious violence from either group of fans.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Pretty minor stuff.

The actual part where the violence occurs is not shown on the video. It occured after the fans left the stadium and another group of fans was waiting for them. The video cuts from them leaving the stadium to them being at the buses. The cameraman was probably not part of the group that got attacked.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Since Toronto is joining next year I am posting this on the Canada forum. Video from New York's road trip to DC to open the season during which there were some hooligan problems. That DC road trip next year for TO will be fun.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1856085459753309626&q=mls&pl=true

Ya that'll bring the north American family out to the games.

Seeing that you realize with the silly euro names and now the road trips (that lead to events like that) how the MLS is ghettoizing the sport. It's not enoug to simply take a great game and have it fit into our fan culture, which is pretty cool, but we have to try to euro slut it up.

Which of course comes with fan voilence and taunting.

Hopefully MLSE will be tough with the goons and bully's immediatly and send them packing ASAP when the predictable trouble starts at Pogey Park.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Pretty minor stuff.

Seems though that they have no idea about crowd control in DC or in MLS, don't know which it would be.

I have had supporters of other teams beside me in a stadium with no problem, but if you can anticipate problems, better to physically separate opposing fans.

Entrance to and exit of the stadium should be controlled. If that is costly, well you are going to have to balance what you make by having opposing team fans with the expenditure of ensuring their safety and that of your own supporters.

Basically UEFA does this right, even when there is no real threat or no history of serious violence from either group of fans.

Security at North American sporting events are minimal at best.

The South London firms must be shaking in their boots after seeing this video. And I thought Elijah Wood was intimidating! It looks like a prerequisite of being a DC United supporter is that you got your ass kicked by a girl at your first Redskins game and never had the heart to come back.

Seriously, is this the same "filmmaker" who did the Polish movie? What's next? A movie about Daniel and his imaginary French "kop?" (I'm thinking the inspiration will be that Star Wars scene of George Michael in Arrested Development...)

quote: I got more abuse wearing my Flames jersery to a game in Vancouver.

quote:The South London firms must be shaking in their boots after seeing this video. And I thought Elijah Wood was intimidating! It looks like a prerequisite of being a DC United supporter is that you got your ass kicked by a girl at your first Redskins game and never had the heart to come back.

Seriously, is this the same "filmmaker" who did the Polish movie? What's next? A movie about Daniel and his imaginary French "kop?" (I'm thinking the inspiration will be that Star Wars scene of George Michael in Arrested Development...)

I know you guys really want to post like you are tough guys but noone is saying this is one of the worst hooligan incidents in the history of the sport. However, there was some hooligan violence that is not on the film and which did lead to fans being injured. It may not be at European level but it is certainly not a good development either. Somehow I doubt sKrish looked like this after a Canucks game.

t5kl01.jpg

t5kjfk.jpg

Seriously Grizzly,

By posting this video (glad you did, not saying you shouldn't) we are promoting a sensentionalism which, if the beautiful game were a person, would be prejudice.

To me the video is trying to suggest that violence is an inherent part of the game. This may or may not be true, but I for one would say that what we see here is in no way worth making a movie about.

If "filmmakers" made a movie about every guy that got hit with a bottle at a sporting event or rock show or frat party we would be inundated with crap -which is exactly what this is. So I poke some fun.

It has nothing to do with being tough. However, I assure you, I would not come out of RFK looking like that guy in the photo.

It sounds a bit like you are saying it is sensationalism but on the other hand the video isn't violent enough. I think the purpose of the video is to try to stop this type of violence which if it continues will be reported all out of proportion by the mainstream media who would ignore a similar incident at a baseball game. Apparently this type of thing has been a regular occurence for away fans at DCU for several years and neither the team, league, stadium security or police have taken much action to curb it.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Security at North American sporting events are minimal at best.

Ya you're quite right DG. I'm curious as to how the average fan would react to heavy security. I remember how taken aback (initially at least) I was at the Brazil-Sweden match in Pontiac when walking by a line of security men with sub-machine guns and german shephards.

Fortunately we're not in the same boat as the absolutely rabid fans that can exist in Europe or South America. Hopefully we can keep it that way.

db

I'm quite skeptical toward the idea that there's a design behind these videos. I can't really accept the assumption that this is some sort of admonishment that we need to be squeaky clean in North American soccer or the media will turn on us. The worst case scenario would be more security which, according to many, would be a good thing.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I'm quite skeptical toward the idea that there's a design behind these videos. I can't really accept the assumption that this is some sort of admonishment that we need to be squeaky clean in North American soccer or the media will turn on us. The worst case scenario would be more security which, according to many, would be a good thing.

No. We don't need more security.

Soccer fans just need to follow the same set of decency rules that baseball or hockey fans expect when they go to games.

And if a 12 old wants to wear the colour of the visting team, cause his favorite player plays for them, he doesn't have to have some middled aged goofball give him some stick for it or even get beat up for it.

When I take my kids to a game, I don't expect fights of any kind in the venue around me. I also expect security to deal with drunken louts, by kicking them out of the venue.

I hope that we don't lower our standards of repect for opposing fans and the game to satisfy some Ultras need to feel all euro like by being a lout.

This ain't the old country-- THANKFULLY.

AND had this happened at a New York Yankees game, where 800 travelling Red Sox fans were attack by Yankee fans, it's be all over the news.

The fact that it happened at a DC United game were the media is basically non existent- is luckly why it didn't make the news.

Grizzly has graciously agreed to sing Kumbaya next time he's in Vancouver. I will make you two a tape if it's okay with him.

For the record, on a scale of one-to-ten of *cheapshots* (a ten being the time I suggested Ed *liked* high school boys), this is maybe a one, 1.5 at the most.

Whether there is in fact a french speaking Montreal *kop* or whether Daniel plays with light sabres is really irrelevant to the topic at hand, and, frankly, none of my business. I just want to cite an extreme example of something *not* to make a movie about.

The MNT forum is great for news and I try to restrain myself from being an idiot there -most of the time. This section however is all about bitch slapping *trolls* and other cat fights related to stadiums and Toronto. Really, it's so hopelessly boring that I find no reason why not interrupt the ho hum with a derogatory two cents. However, it was directed 99% at the filmmaker, not the CSIDE.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Grizzly has graciously agreed to sing Kumbaya next time he's in Vancouver. I will make you two a tape if it's okay with him.

I'll have you know that I am expecting my version of Kumbaya to be a number one hit single. That means big bucks for the Grizz and no bootleg copies or I'll hire Metallica and their lawyers to sue you for copyright infringement.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

No. We don't need more security.

Soccer fans just need to follow the same set of decency rules that baseball or hockey fans expect when they go to games.

And if a 12 old wants to wear the colour of the visting team, cause his favorite player plays for them, he doesn't have to have some middled aged goofball give him some stick for it or even get beat up for it.

When I take my kids to a game, I don't expect fights of any kind in the venue around me. I also expect security to deal with drunken louts, by kicking them out of the venue.

I hope that we don't lower our standards of repect for opposing fans and the game to satisfy some Ultras need to feel all euro like by being a lout.

This ain't the old country-- THANKFULLY.

AND had this happened at a New York Yankees game, where 800 travelling Red Sox fans were attack by Yankee fans, it's be all over the news.

The fact that it happened at a DC United game were the media is basically non existent- is luckly why it didn't make the news.

Well said G-Man.....I am looking forward to MLS in Toronto simply because it is the highest level of soccer there is on this continent and gives me the best opportunity to watch the game at a high level on a regular basis.

Reading the posts here, however, I get the sense that some (not all) of the more avid fans are looking forward to creating an environment in the stands that is outside of what I am looking for. It may all be in good jest, here, but I hear suggestions of flares, abusive chants and rowdyism that could easily get out of hand.

If I (along with my family and friends) end up in an environment where songs/chants with foul language are the norm, or an enivironment where I spend time watching out for flares setting me ablaze or, as you say, my guests/family are abused simply cause they wore the wrong colours.....then me and my season tickets will not be back in season 2.

Good for you for speaking up on this....I think there are more fans that share your opinion on this and to create an "ultra" enviroment will end up being a fiscal disaster for MLS and MLSE.

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

Well said G-Man.....I am looking forward to MLS in Toronto simply because it is the highest level of soccer there is on this continent and gives me the best opportunity to watch the game at a high level on a regular basis.

Reading the posts here, however, I get the sense that some (not all) of the more avid fans are looking forward to creating an environment in the stands that is outside of what I am looking for. It may all be in good jest, here, but I hear suggestions of flares, abusive chants and rowdyism that could easily get out of hand.

If I (along with my family and friends) end up in an environment where songs/chants with foul language are the norm, or an enivironment where I spend time watching out for flares setting me ablaze or, as you say, my guests/family are abused simply cause they wore the wrong colours.....then me and my season tickets will not be back in season 2.

Good for you for speaking up on this....I think there are more fans that share your opinion on this and to create an "ultra" enviroment will end up being a fiscal disaster for MLS and MLSE.

I just fell down.

Archived