Toronto, MLS & Canada

PSG

If all goes well in the first season with the new Toronto MLS franchise, does anyone else believe there may be a similar situation in cities such as Vancouver or Montreal joining a la NASL? It would appear that, economically at least, the MLS could be the way forward for Canadian sides.

vancouver will be in mls by 2010. promise. with the stadium they are building the MLS would hold it as a jewel of the league - the city itself would attract players (ie, players wanting to move to the currently #3 ranked city in the world at the end of their careers!). whether kerfoot wants to be in the mls or not - the mls will approach him when the stadium officially goes ahead. and the city, the club, and the country will benefit from that.

while saputo says he has no interest in mls - it's a fact he'd want the highest quality product he can with his new stadium as well.

As much as I am looking forward in having Canadian clubs in the MLS, I hope this is just a stepping stone to developing our own league again. We do have 6 cities with metros over 1 million, but I guess it's up to the CSA to do something.

I would think Vancouver by 2015. Garber has been talking about Cleveland in 2008, then a second team in New York in 2010. Throw St Louis, Milwaukee, Rowan University (Philadelphia) and San Jose into the mix, and its hard to see Vancouver coming in before 2015.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

I would think Vancouver by 2015. Garber has been talking about Cleveland in 2008, then a second team in New York in 2010. Throw St Louis, Milwaukee, Rowan University (Philadelphia) and San Jose into the mix, and its hard to see Vancouver coming in before 2015.

MOntreal will get the relocated Toronto MLS team in 2009.

Archived