Canada U20s vs. Portugal (R)

Ivan

That Portuguese site is reporting a 1-0 win for Portugal. Norway over China 2-1.

I would rather see the (W) but least Portugal's toughest game was against Canada. Although we may have seen a lesser lineup as Portugal had the tourney locked up.

I should have prefaced my "we may have faced a lesser lineup" comment by stating that we were missing eight players who could play significant roles in 2007. And one of the eight may have played against us for Portugal!

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

I should have prefaced my "we may have faced a lesser lineup" comment by stating that we were missing eight players who could play significant roles in 2007. And one of the eight may have played against us for Portugal!

We can not continue to or does this coaching staff deserve any justification for this result! Lets face it we are just not good enough to compete with the top footballing countries in the world.

We can't just say if we had 8 players, we would compete better! Well we didn't and still only managed 1 goal in 3 games, and out of those 3 games Norway and China were not very good teams.

I believe that the Canadian coaching staff has a infiriority complex when it gets to the International level. They coach not to loose instead of coaching to get the result.

Maybe this could be one of the reasons some players are turning down invitations to represent their country.

Let's see some attacking football, because what we are doing presently does not seem to be working! SOME SHORT TERM PAIN MAY PAY SOME LONG TERM DIVIDENDS!

Just some observations from someone who has followed most of these players and teams!

Coming into this tournament this group has been able to score and at times has given up goals by the bucket-load. I would rather draw 1-1 with Norway and lose 1-0 to Portugal at home than see what we saw at the Francophone Games.

We were missing Peters and Jackson, two players that can definitely help unlock a defence and it appears we tried playing Will Johnson on the right side of the midfield.

When you play two games in two days and a third on the fourth day, it slows the pace of the game down and suits a certain kind of player and a certain style of play. I would say that trying to play three games in four days does not do much for great attacking soccer and doesn't particularly help us.

I wish we had scored a bunch of goals and the results are a little worrying, but there's no reason to panic. I think we took a step forward towards what we're trying to do.

I think if we have our full team and are playing on home soil we will show we can compete with Brazil and are serious contenders in 2007. That's my expectation anyway.

cheers,

matthew

Guest Jeffery S.

I think these are fine results. We were in the game in every case, meaning we could have had a win in two of them with a late goal or a draw vs Portugal in their turf. That is good, it means we are being competitive. And all you can ask of the team is to be competitive, to be tough, to not make dumb defensive mistakes, to be positionally strong. Our results suggest all those things, so I think we should be happy with the tournament.

We have time to think about how to develop scoring chances, and to work on set plays, which is how we should be breaking open games like these come the World Cup.

The Portuguese football site report....Seems Vittoria was substituted at the half. Perhaps he could not stand up to the Canadian pressure :-)

I think their manager says it was a difficult game and then he either says Canada has great quality or his side does... my portuguese is not that great so perhaps someone else can translate

Eficácia a cem por cento 15.04.06

Três jogos, outros tantos triunfos. Foi este o balanço da participação da Selecção Nacional Sub-19 na XXIV edição do Torneio Internacional do Porto. Este sábado, foi a vez do Canadá cair perante a formação orientada por Carlos Dinis, saindo derrotado por 1-0, depois da China (5-1) e a Noruega (4-0) já terem sucumbido diante da Equipa das Quinas.

No jogo mais equilibrado que a nossa Selecção disputou no Torneio, João Pedro, de cabeça, já na recta final do encontro, apontou o tento solitário da partida, mantendo o registo cem por cento vitorioso da formação comandada por Carlos Dinis.

“Foi um jogo difícil, diante de uma selecção que mostrou ter grande qualidade, mas curiosamente penso que acabámos por fazer a melhor exibição da prova. Este foi um Torneio importante para a consolidação da equipa, tendo em vista a derradeira fase de apuramento para o Campeonato da Europa que iremos disputar em Maio. Saímos mais confiantes, até porque os processos defensivo e ofensivo foram muito bem assimilados pelos atletas, o que nos deixa tranquilos para o futuro”, assinalou o responsável técnico nacional, em declarações ao fpf.pt.

Entretanto, no outro jogo do dia, a Noruega bateu a China por 2-1.

Portugal monopolizou, como seria de esperar, os prémios do Torneio. Assim, e além do troféu ‘Fair Play’, a nossa Selecção foi distinguida com a designação do melhor jogador da competição (Bruno Gama), do melhor guarda-redes (Igor Araújo) e do melhor marcador (Paulo Ferreira).

Recorde-se que a Selecção Nacional Sub-19 vai discutir o Torneio de Elite da UEFA (última fase de qualificação para o Europeu) diante das selecções de Israel, Croácia e Macedónia (Grupo 5), num apuramento que ganha contornos adicionalmente importantes, tendo em conta que em jogo está, também, a passagem à fase final do Mundial Sub-20 de 2007, que decorrerá no Canadá, competição para a qual se apuram os seis primeiros classificados do Europeu.

Os Sub-19 viajarão até à Croácia para cumprir esta ronda de elite, realizando os seus jogos a 16, 18 e 20 de Maio.

Ficha do Jogo

XXIV Torneio Internacional do Porto

Estádio Municipal da Póvoa de Varzim

Árbitro: Brage Sandmoen (Noruega)

Árbitros Assistentes: Vítor Carvalho e Tomás Santos

4º Árbitro: Sun Badjie (China)

Portugal: Igor Araújo, André Nogueira, Steven (João Pedro, 45’), Paulo Renato, André Marques, Zezinando, Nuno Coelho, Pereirinha (Antunes, 72’), Hélder Barbosa (João Ribeiro, 78’), Diogo Tavares (Paulo Ferreira, 78’) e Bruno Gama (cap.) (Luís Mendes, 89’).

Suplentes não utilizados: Ricardo Janota e Feliciano Condesso.

Treinador: Carlos Dinis.

Golos: João Pedro (77’).

Disciplina: Nada a registar.

Canadá: Asmir Begovic, Joey Loreth (Kyle Oliveira, 85’), Stephen Lumley, David Edgar, Kent O’Connor, Christian Nunez (Gavin McCallum, 45’), Will Johnson (cap.), Jacob Lensky, Alex Elliott (Pierre-Rudolph Mayard, 61’), Daniel Revivo (Emmanuel Gomez, 74’) e Olivier Babineau (Mike D’Agostino, 85’).

Suplentes não utilizados: Stefan Caulfield, Andreal Lombardo.

Treindor: Dale Mitchell

Golos: Nada a registar

Disciplina: Cartão amarelo a Alex Elliott (61’).

quote:

Canadá: Asmir Begovic, Joey Loreth (Kyle Oliveira, 85’), Stephen Lumley, David Edgar, Kent O’Connor, Christian Nunez (Gavin McCallum, 45’), Will Johnson (cap.), Jacob Lensky, Alex Elliott (Pierre-Rudolph Mayard, 61’), Daniel Revivo (Emmanuel Gomez, 74’) e Olivier Babineau (Mike D’Agostino, 85’).

Suplentes não utilizados: Stefan Caulfield, Andreal Lombardo.

Treindor: Dale Mitchell

Golos: Nada a registar

Disciplina: Cartão amarelo a Alex Elliott (61’).

It's nice to see that Gomez did get a chance to play in this tournament - even if was as a 74th minute sub. I really think there was an injury there. Lensky got in two full games, with Caulfield being the only one who didn't play in this tournament. Hopefully, some good assessments were made, and it will be interesting to see who from this team will be selected to play Brazil, when one can assume that more of the top Europe-based players will be available.

As for performance, the tournament is still more than a year away, so there's no need to panic. I think the games against Brazil will be more telling, as it will be our best players against the world's best, on home soil - including a game at Commonwealth where the team will play most of their opening games.

I've translated the relevnt info from the article above.

The paper called it Portugal’s most equally played game of the three.

The coach said “It was a difficult game against a team that showed great quality, but curiously, I think we ended up playing our best game of the tournament.” He then goes on and talks about his team and the importance of this tournament in getting his team ready for their U19 Uefa Qualifying tournament next month in Croatia, which also serves as qualification for the U20 World Cup in Canada.

Based on this, I would guess this is a good result for Canada. Portugal played their best game and won only 1-0 with a goal late in the game.

I've translated the relevnt info from the article above.

The paper called it Portugal’s most equally played game of the three.

The coach said “It was a difficult game against a team that showed great quality, but curiously, I think we ended up playing our best game of the tournament.” He then goes on and talks about his team and the importance of this tournament in getting his team ready for their U19 Uefa Qualifying tournament next month in Croatia, which also serves as qualification for the U20 World Cup in Canada.

Based on this, I would guess this is a good result for Canada. Portugal played their best game and won only 1-0 with a goal late in the game.

Archived