Hiddink set to become Russia boss

Grizzly

Guess this means Canada is out of the running for Hiddink's services ;)

Hiddink set to become Russia boss

Guus Hiddink's future has been at the centre of speculation for months

Guus Hiddink has put an end to reports linking him with the England job by announcing he will coach Russia.

Hiddink, 59, will leave PSV Eindhoven at the end of the season and will take up his new role after fulfilling his World Cup commitments with Australia.

"I'm glad that this is off my chest now," the Dutchman told television programme Holland Sport.

"I have been to Russia already to look at things and I already know that it will be fun to work there."

Hiddink was Holland coach when they made the last four in the 1998 World Cup and in 2002 he took South Korea to the semi-finals.

Such credentials made Hiddink an early favourite to succeed current England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson.

However, a deal to take over the Russian national team now looks certain, although Hiddink did add a few details still had to be resolved.

"We are working out the final details of the contract and when that is finished I will join them," he said.

"I will live in Amsterdam and fly to Russia whenever it's needed - that could be for a period of several weeks or just for a few days.

"They have some young players with a great future, as far as I can tell now."

Russia failed to qualify for the World Cup in Germany, but if Hiddink agrees a four-year deal he will be confident of taking them to the 2010 tournament in South Africa.

PSV wrap up Dutch title success

The announcement came just 24 hours after he had led PSV to their 19th league title.

Hiddink also managed the club in the late 1980s and he has now been in charge for six of those Eredivisie-winning campaigns.

Archived