coaching & canadian soccer

ANC2

two years ago some Italian coaches came to Toronto and did some coaching courses. they told us that the passing game was over and football was now more direct. Oddly enough the British coaches told us that years ago as well.

Just looking at World Football and Champions League. All the teams that are having success are passing teams (possession oriented). The final 4 of CL is a good example. So much for that advice from so called experts??? It seems only Even Pellerud listened :D

On another note: My question is why are we in Canada turning to the English for advice on player development and football in general. Have we not had enough of these guys over the years. I mean no British or English coaches will be coaching in the WC. If England does not even believe in its own people, then it stands to reason, why should we?

Guest Jeffery S.

Fortunately most clubs have players who grew up playing differently, and the mix is what makes things interesting.

Meaning it is rare to have to talk about a single style on a pro club these days, while on a youth team it could be the case.

But even then, if you have a single style on a youth team, you are likely privileging some kid's play and squashing the freedom of others. Because some player, even at a kid's level, will already be better fit technically and tactically for a certain style. Some are more fit to run onto a through ball, others have a soft touch and can handle a long hard ball to the foot. In any case, at a kid's level, since there are always basic blunders happening in defence and at the keeper level, being direct can sometimes get results that could never be had at a more serious level.

I looked at that thread on the question, interesting enough, and some good opinions there. But also a ton of naivety. Like the bit about optimizing passes. I don't think you should be obliged as a player to make the best pass always, sometimes simply a good pass is enough. The best passers on the team can be given the job of doing the judicious passing in the critical zones, while the others are there to get the ball to them in conditions. Or to the good dribblers or fast wings. It is a definite waste to make high-risk long passes over the heads of able midfielders to the strikers, when simply doing the same move in two instead of one will be more reliable and lower risk.

I have often thought about certain of our youth players and their failings, which are basically development. I know in all nations national youth players often go nowhere in the end, but in Canada it is particularly flagrant. I always think that if you had taken Gordon Chin to a strong Spanish youth program at 17 or 18 right now he'd be a top flight midfielder. But he was simply never taught how to move the ball with sense and simplicity, and thus he has basically failed as a pro player. For me, growing up on similar physique mids at Barça, he was a strong candidate to become our Xavi (or Arteta if you like), he had the basic control and pass skills, and a decent pace, but he was simply never properly coached in function of his basic abilities. So he is a sort of wasted player, and that is because noone coaching him ever understood how this kid could be a bonus for a possession-thinking team.

There are basic principles in play that have to be set out in function of the rival. A team that is disorganized or is attacking you to get a goal back can be struck more quickly, an organized and fit one, especially one beating you, has to be forced open. A team with a loaded midfield has to be attacked by opening up and using the wings, opting for longer balls over the mass of pawns in the middle. A team with a light midfield or relying on wide wings can be attacked through the middle as it is lighter there. So the whole debate depends on the task at hand.

But there is no excuse not to be able to pass to a foot under pressure and control the ball when receiving it in such a situation.

Guest speedmonk42

two years ago some Italian coaches came to Toronto and did some coaching courses. they told us that the passing game was over and football was now more direct. Oddly enough the British coaches told us that years ago as well.

Just looking at World Football and Champions League. All the teams that are having success are passing teams (possession oriented). The final 4 of CL is a good example. So much for that advice from so called experts??? It seems only Even Pellerud listened

---------------

I was not at the coaching seminar....however direct does not necessarily mean low percentage long balls.

It may have had something to do with the fact that software tracking of games and possession revealed two interesting facts (and many more). That possession did matter, but it was 'where' that counted. That meant that doddling the ball around on your backline endlessly meant nothing. It was who had possession in the attacking third that mattered most. That seems obvious, but think about it more and you can see how the overall possesion numbers can be misleading.

The second point is that the overwhelming majority of goals were scored by making 3 or less passes.

Direct soccer under control with quality passing is not the same as 'hit and hope'

My throat is still sore after screaming at Swangaurd watching the Canadian left back thump the ball up the field to other team. I quit counting at 40 I think. (against Germany, women)

A perfectly silent stadium and I screamed "how many times you gonna let her do that coach?" Subbed a few minutes later....obviously from my brilliant advice......hahahah

This might also may answer your second question about the English coaches. Communication. Dealing with pros in a variety of languages with the resources of a pro club may be very different than actually teaching people who are not pros. I doubt the, though I was not there, that the Italian coaches were saying pound the ball down the field as far as you can.... (not saying that is what you said, but just to illustrate the communications point)

Archived