Brazil U-20 - Potential Roster Inclusions in May

Canuck Oranje

No this is not the selection already. I just thought I would post this to help collect information on some of the players who may play against Canada in May. Since these games are to be telivised and others may wish to attend, I thought an early start would help build some further interest leading up to the games.

The first group of 1987s were selected for a tournament being played in Barcelona Spain from April 12 to April 16.

The Second group are players that would likely be considered under normal circumstances (healthy, released by club, etc.). Generally, I would say that the more of the second group selected in May, the more serious Brazil is taking the games in Canada because some of these players are regular starters with their club teams or get some decent minutes and two are recent transfers to European teams.

Barcelona Tournament Group

There may be others but the names I would highlight in this group are Marcelo, Luizao, Carlinhos, Ji Parana, and Renatinho. All train with their club's first team.

N a m e(Nick Name),Position, DOB, Club

Marcelo Grohe(MARCELO), G, 13.01.87, Grêmio F.P.A.

Muriel Gustavo Becker(MURIEL), G, 14.02.87, S.C.Internacional

Anderson Vieira Martins(ANDERSON), D, 21.08.87, Vitória S/A

David Braz de Oliveira Filho(DAVID), D, 21.05.87, S.E. Palmeiras

Luiz Carlos Nascimento Junior(LUIZÃO), D, 03.01.87, Cruzeiro E.C.

Sheslon Lucas Lima Santana(SHESLON), FB, 04.01.87, C. Atl. Mineiro

Edimar Silva Jacomelli(EDIMAR), FB, 22.04.87, C. Atl. Paranaense

Carlos Andrade Souza(CARLINHOS), FB, 23.01.87, Santos F.C.

Luiz Eduardo A. Serra Pereira(LUISINHO), M, 09.03.87, Fluminense F.C.

Junior Felício Marques(JI PARANÁ), M, 11.06.87, S.C.Corinthians P.

Luis Francisco Grando(CHICO), M, 02.02.87, C. Alt. Paranaense

Luis Leandro A.de Lima(LEANDRO LIMA), M, 19.12.87, A.D. São Caetano

Valdeci de Souza Junior(TCHÔ), M, 21.04.87, C. Atl. Mineiro

Pedro Ken Morimoto Moreira(PEDRO KEN), M, 20.03.87, Coritiba F.C.

Taianan Imberê L. Welker(TAIANAN), M, 13.10.87, S.C.Internacional

Renato Carlos Martins Junior (RENATINHO), F, 14.05.87, Santos F.C.

Fabiano M. Oliveira(FABIANO OLIVEIRA), F, 06.03.87, C.R. do Flamengo

Marcelo Moreno Martins(MORENO), F, 18.06.87, Vitória S/A

Others

N a m e(Nick Name),Position, DOB, Club

Kerlon Moura Souza(KERLON), M, 27.01.88, Cruzeiro E.C.

Pedro Moreira Júnior(PEDRO JUNIOR), S, 29.01.87, Gremio F.P.A.

Lucas Pezzini Leiva(LUCAS), M, 09.01.87, Gremio F.P.A.

Eduardo C.P. Filho(EDUARDO RATINHO), FB, 17.09.87, S.C.Corinthians P.

Denilson Pereira Neves(DENILSON), M, 16.02.88, São Paulo F.C.

Anderson L. de Abreu Oliveira(ANDERSON), M, 13.04.88, F.C. Porto

João Alves de Assis Silva(JÔ), F, 20.03.87, CSKA Moscow

Willian Borges da Silva(WILLIAN), M, 09.08.88, S.C. Corinthians P.

Some additional information:

Kerlon was Brazil's star of the South American U-17 World Championship qualification tournament. Unfortunately for him and Brazil, he was injured and did not play in the 2005 World Championship in Peru where they lost to Mexico in the final.

Anderson was the Golden Ball winner (Player of the tournament) at the 2005 U-17 World Championship in Peru. This was despite being injured early in the tournament final against Mexico.

Denilson was also a regular starter on the 2005 Brazil U-17 Team.

Lucas has been a regular starter with Gremio (the club that gave us Ronaldinho) in the State Championship in Rio Grande do Sul. He also scored three times in the State tournament.

Pedro Junior has been getting regular playing time for Gremio during the State Championship tournament, although not always as a starter. Nonetheless, he finished tied for third in scoring in the tournament with six goals. More importantly, Pedro Junior scored the goal in the final against Internacional yesterday (April 9) that won Gremio the state championship.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add.

Apparently, the Brazil U-20 side won the Barcelona tournament. The teams in the tournament were mostly Club sides.

While I would suspect that the side that appears in Canada could be substantially different, this Brazil side was not significantly better than its opponents. In fact, the final game was decided on penalties and was against Espanyol.

Source: www.cbfnews.uol.com.br

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Just to add.

Apparently, the Brazil U-20 side won the Barcelona tournament. The teams in the tournament were mostly Club sides.

While I would suspect that the side that appears in Canada could be substantially different, this Brazil side was not significantly better than its opponents. In fact, the final game was decided on penalties and was against Espanyol.

Source: www.cbfnews.uol.com.br

The tournament was played over Easter in Costa Brava towns, with the finals in Palamos. It is called the Mediterranean International Cup (MIC), last year we had two teams from Calgary in it.

The web is at http://www.micfootball.com/intro.htm

Brazil beat Espanyol in the final for those born not before 1987.

The squad called for the tournament is here: http://cbfnews.uol.com.br/conv-sub20.jhtm

Espanyol has one of the best youth football programs in Spain, they have won the U-12 seven a side tournament sponsored by CanalPlus two years straight, I think they won the Spanish U-17 a couple times in recent years. The senior team is rather poor at really using them well as they come up, they do play for Espanyol (most of the defensive line, with Jarque and Lopo in the middle, David Garcia on the side; veteran striker Tamudo, scorer in the King's cup win "Coro" -Ferran Corominas- are all youth team products, as are De Guzmans teammates at Depor Capdevila and Sergio) selling too early and maybe not paying enough.

Other strong teams from the 1987 group were the USA Selection R2, and the Russian team Kryliya Sovetov.

This latter was runner up to Brazil in the born 1990 final. Other strong sides in that category were the French national team, and Inter Milan.

In the born 92 group Brazil beat Real Madrid. The group born 1994 and on saw Real Madrid beat Arsenal 2-1, only of the televised finals I saw.

In women, Espanyol youth won. Espanyol won the Spanish women's league last week and celebrated along with the men's King's Cup winning side on the streets of Barcelona last Thursday.

Archived