Canadians abroad: April 7-13, 2006

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EDT.

Saturday, April 8

7:30 AM on Sportsnet — England: Premier League

Tottenham (Paul Stalteri) vs. Manchester City

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for April 7-13, 2006.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

The article does say that they have clinched promotion but I don't think this is correct. 4th place Karlsruhe could still pass them if they won all of their games and Bochum lost all of theirs. Bochum have effectively been promoted though as the odds of this are very small. At least one Canadian in the 1st BL next year and McKenna with Cottbus is still a good possibility.

The article does say that they have clinched promotion but I don't think this is correct. 4th place Karlsruhe could still pass them if they won all of their games and Bochum lost all of theirs. Bochum have effectively been promoted though as the odds of this are very small. At least one Canadian in the 1st BL next year and McKenna with Cottbus is still a good possibility.

Guest Jeffery S.

De Jong played 90 in that loss, which has them end the season in fourth. I think they are in the promotion playoff though, but it is a bit complicated with the partial-league winners also qualifying for it. So I guess the playoff begins soon for them.

Klukowski was blamed for a miss-pass leading to the rival's goal, but Bruges came back to win 2-1 tonight and revive their remote chances for the league. With four games left they are 6 back of Anderlecht, who could only draw tonight. If Standard Liege wins this weekend they'd take the lead 7 up on Bruges -who have a new coach, Ferrara- with four games to go.

Guest Jeffery S.

Jonathan de Guzman played the whole match as Feyenoord salvaged a 1-1 draw against Heerenveen away Friday night, before 22,000 fans (good crowds Johnson and Friend will see there, though I am guessing its a northern rivalry game). They look to be set for third place in Holland, though have an outside chance of catching AZ for second.

Guest Jeffery S.

Stalteri scores for Spurs at the end of the first half to open the afternoon's striking at White Hart Lane, so stuff those naysayers, stuff'em, Tottenham now up 2-1 late 2nd half over Man City.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Jonathan de Guzman played the whole match as Feyenoord salvaged a 1-1 draw against Heerenveen away Friday night, before 22,000 fans (good crowds Johnson and Friend will see there, though I am guessing its a northern rivalry game). They look to be set for third place in Holland, though have an outside chance of catching AZ for second.

Heerenveen - Feyenoord (Rotterdam) wouldn't be a northern rivalry game as Rotterdam is in the south of Holland. Though I imagine Feyenoord is a pretty good draw no matter what city they play in. If there is a northern rivalry, I imagine it would be SC Heerenveen - FC Groningen.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Stalteri scores for Spurs at the end of the first half to open the afternoon's striking at White Hart Lane, so stuff those naysayers, stuff'em, Tottenham now up 2-1 late 2nd half over Man City.

And that's the final. Nice to see Paul come back to the starting line-up & make his mark in a Spurs win after they lost when he was out.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Heerenveen - Feyenoord (Rotterdam) wouldn't be a northern rivalry game as Rotterdam is in the south of Holland. Though I imagine Feyenoord is a pretty good draw no matter what city they play in. If there is a northern rivalry, I imagine it would be SC Heerenveen - FC Groningen.

Geez, I AM clueless about Dutch geography then. It just seemed like a huge gate for this team, is that usual for them to draw so well?

Dwayne De Rosario, Adrian Serioux and Pat Onstad all start for Houston Dynamo at home versus Kansas City.

It's currently 1-1 with about 20 minutes left.

A rowdy crowd on hand, looks good for Houston.

De Ro gets red carded in the second half, and Serioux stepped into the central midfield role (from centre back) in a losing cause for Houston as the Wizards win 2-1.

Adrian did very well filling in for De Ro, showing some good footwork and piercing runs to no avail. How New York (who I'm watching right now) didn't think they needed Adrian in their poor midfield is beyond me.

Onstad went his usual 90 in the goal for Houston.

Hampton & Richmond Borough 0-1 Margate

Hampton lost their second consecutive match against a struggling Margate (who were up in the Conference just a few seasons ago). Elliott Godfrey was subbed out in the 65th minute, and Jon Henry-Hayden remained an unused sub.

Hampton are now tied for sixth place, making the playoff run a tense affair (much like last season, when Hampton missed out on mere goal difference).

McKenna and Nsaliwa both played 90 as Cottbus won 1-0 and Saarbruecken lost 3-0. Cottbus is in the last promotion spot while Saarbruecken is in the first demotion spot.

In 3rd div., Sulentic subbed in as usual in minute 67 as Pauli lost to Jena. This was a must win match for Pauli as Jena is in 2nd place which is the last promotion spot. Looks like Pauli will be staying in the Regionaliga Nord for next year.

In 4th div., Ryan Thomson played 90 for TeBe as they tied the ethnic team, Türkiyemspor Berlin, 0-0.

More details in the other thread devoted to Canadians in Norway, but here's the coles notes version:

Kenny in goal for Tromsø in a 3-1 away loss to Molde. Patrice played 90 and Stephen 30 for Tromsø and Sandro not at all for Molde.

Olivier plays 90 and and scores 1 in Lillestrøm 3-3 home draw with Rosenborg. Lars in goal for Rosenborg.

In division 1, Marco booked twice in 40 minutes and sent off in Sogndal 3-1 away loss to Pors Grenland.

Chris plays 90 in Haugesund 1-0 home win to Follo.

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian de Guzman got in the whole game, with good ratings, for Depor, who drew vs Villareal away 1-1. I saw most of the match, he was on the left middle of a 4-4-2 or with three mids, most of the time, hanging back quite a bit, I think told to keep an eye on Riquelme. He is not the best man marker, he's too casual about it I think. He did get forward a few times, he dribbles nicely and quickly, and his passing game out of trouble was sharp, here he has improved a lot; but he did have a silly move running into the attack with Arizmendi and absurdly crossing in front of the latter's hard shot on goal, blocking it to the frustration of his teammate.

Still think this guy needs to be trained off the ball positioning better, I find him a bit frustrating to watch at times. Indeed I see flaws that are typical from Canadian players, who are not required strong tactical play and off the ball movements, I say this based on watching the youth, especially all that back-peddling, which drives me nuts, Hutchinson used to do it a lot, not sure if he's improved at all when playing in the middle. There are good exceptions, I think Hume is one of the best off the ball players we have in fact.

Daniel Fernandes got a big win with Paok over AEK in Thessalonika 2-1, with the visitor's goal coming on a late penalty. That is five wins in a row for Paok now, who remain at 5th with three games to go. This win killed AEK's remote chances at the league however.

Fernando Aguiar played 90 but Gondomar could only draw Sporting Covilha scoreless away, falling 7 points off the final promotion spot to top flight Portugal.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I don't think this was mentioned here yet, but Atiba Hutchinson played 90 minutes in FC Copenhagen's 2-1 win over Esbjerg. From the match report (http://www.fck.dk/index.php?pageid=772&msa=summary) it seems like he set up the second goal and had a long shot stopped, but that is almost entirely guesswork on my part.

Speaking of whom, saw on a Danish web a poll it seems on the best new signings in Denmark for this part of the season, and from a long list 25% pick Atiba; only one other player, Joseph Elanga at Brondby, is close at 23%. Click on link and scroll down, it is on the left. You can even vote in fact:

http://www.bt.dk/sport/dkfodbold/

Issey Nakajima-Farran played 90 for Vejle in Danish 2nd tier in a 1-0 win. A good graphic on the club site shows where he plays, as a wide left midfielder, I suppose with attacking functions as well. I think we should take a look at the guy some day, 2nd tier Denmark, so they say, is higher than the same in Sweden or Norway:

http://www.vejle-boldklub.dk/kampreferat.aspx?KampReferatID=12bc46c0-c801-11da-ab34-001022fe44d4

On the basis of this article I take fans voted him man of the match for the team after last week's game, a 1-1 draw. Is that him in the pic?

http://www.vejle-boldklub.dk/news.aspx?NewsID=c1240380-c569-11da-ab34-001022fe44d4

And now that I have gotten going on this, I see that the club is at the top of the Danish 1st Division, with some 13 games to go to league's end (they stopped in November and restarted just three games ago). So they have real promotion possibilities. The club has a good-sized stadium with 15,000 capacity, plans for a new one that is simple but nice, and has the tradition: they are 5 time Danish champion, winning in 71 and 72, and for the last time in 1984. Sounds like a good club to be signed for, so if the fans are saying he is working for them that is even better.

Review of the Canadians in Italy this weekend.

Andrea Lombardo was not involved in Perugia's 2-2 tie with Gela in Serie C1B on Sunday. I believe Andrea is in Portugal with the U-20's.

Rocco Placentino was not involved in Gualdo's 2-0 loss to Prato in Serie C2B on Sunday. Rocco is injured and will probably miss a few more weeks. Gualdo's playoff hopes are slowly fading.

Julian Uccello played 55 minutes as Sanselpocro defeated Pergolese 2-1 in Serie D Girone F on Sunday.

David Masciantonio played the entire match as Monterotondo defeated Sorianese 4-1 in Serie D Girone G on Sunday.

Guest Jeffery S.

Yeah, I saw that last pic after, only since they insist on having articles on him with non-corresponding pics I wondered about it. Though I gather he is part Japanese, part I don't know what. Farran is a Catalan name in fact, a variation on a common first name, Ferran (Fernando). Anyone know the scoop on the name or the family origin?

Archived