Canadians abroad: March 31 - April 6, 2006

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EST/EDT.

None.

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for March 31 - April 6, 2006.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Kenny Stamatopoulos came in for GK rival Knut Borch after 17 minutes in today's training match between Tromsø and Aalesund. The extent of Borch's injury is unknown. Patrice Bernier was in the starting lineup for Tromsø while Stephen Ademolu came in after 77 minutes.

The game ended 0-0 despite a dominating performance by Tromsø.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by loyola

Marcel De Jong Helmond Sport won 2-0 and are third in the Dutch second division. Don't know if Marcel played.

Marcel played 90 in the away win, it seems from the line-up as an outside back even. That is not usual but I guess it is possible.

They are a point back of 2nd place with a game to go, and have assured themselves a playoff spot.

quote:Originally posted by CDN4EVR

Andrew Hainault is on the starting 11 for Most today who are away and playing Slavia Praha who sit in 3d place in the Gambrinus league. The score after the half is 1-0 Slavia. From what I can read, despite being down a goal, Andrew is shoring a solid defence.

http://fotbal.idnes.cz/db_fotbal.asp?online=7031744

Ouch, 3-0 final. Well, they had to lose at some point.

Guest hangoverPL

Joe Di Buono played 90min in another 2nd squad game, as Polonia II Warsaw drew KS Warka in Polish 4th division.

A funny thing in the lineup I found on www.poloniawarszawa.com :

Polonia II: Fogler - Moryc, Szachnowicz, Stokowiec, Lewandowski - M±ka (46. Olszar), Biernacki, Markowski (46. Markowski), Di Buono (46. Di Buono), Serafin (46. Swisher) - Jarosiewicz

:) that's a trick even Ronaldinho doesn't know - a sub for himself :)

Guest Jeffery S.

Radz came on m. 72, when all the goals had been scored for Portsmouth, who defeated Fulham 3-1.

In The Championship, Pesch played 90 for Derby County who fell 5-0 to Reading officially promoted and division champ.

Simpson did not figure for Millwall in a home loss to relegation rival Brighton.

Brennan was on the whole match for the S-ton 3-2 over Cardiff.

De Vos played the whole match for a loss to Luton 1-0.

Hume played the whole match to no avail, as Leicester fall 2-1 to Norwich.

AFC Wimbledon 0-4 Hampton & Richmond Borough

Ryman Isthmian League Premier Division

attendance: 3,315

Elliott Godfrey scored the Beavers' third goal from the penalty spot, helping lift Hampton to an emphatic 0-4 away rout at AFC Wimbledon. Godfrey also barely missed hitting the net late in the first half, chipping the Dons 'keeper but the ball sailed just above the crossbar.

As per usual, fellow Canadian striker Jon Henry-Hayden came into the match as a sub late in the second half.

The match saw AFC Wimbledon's largest crowd of the season - 3,315.

Hampton leap-frog AFC Wimbledon back into playoff contention, jumping back up to 4th place (tied at 66 points with Staines Town and Worthing, but Hampton have one match in hand over both clubs). Hampton take on third-placed Heybridge Swifts on Tuesday night, in what is likely to be a very tense "six-pointer" that will help decide who qualifies for the playoffs.

Took a few photos, and might post some (if I can pull my finger out!).

Video highlights (including Elliott Godfrey): http://www.donsonline.co.uk/php/videoix.php?matchID=20060401&s=y

Dons' match report: http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/livematch.php?fixture_id=5210

EDIT:

Clip #5 has two Canadian flags, in case anyone is interested...

Godfrey was on the cover of the AFC Wimbledon program, and is on page 44 of the Sunday 2 April 2006 edition of the Non-League Paper, keeping the ball away from an AFCW player. I'll try to scan and post it tomorrow.

Guest Jeffery S.

Dani Fernandes gets the shutout for Paok as the beat Akratitos 3-0 to go to a tie for 5th in Greece with four matches to go (three at home next week it is AEK who visit them). That is three wins in a row.

Jono De Guzman played 90 in Feyenoord's 4-2 win over Twente, they stay third, with a chance at 2nd (AZ's game is pending).

Futures: Heerenveen (Friend and Johnson) is 7th but remain just two back of Ajax who lost today. Groningen (Ramalho) is tied with Ajax for the 5th spot, good for the playoff to decide who takes the 2nd Champion's spot.

Julian de G came on for Duscher m. 70 and mixed it up in the middle to help Depor hang on to a home win over Racing Santander, 2-0. They are still close to a European spot after the win. Tension between coach Caparrós and club president Lendoiro this week after the former openly criticized the club's tight-fistedness for hiring next season. Seems the coach does not want to accept another year without being sure he can buy some quality. Rumours of a general clean-out abound, though I think Julian will be saved from all that as many of his on the field rivals could be going. Seems that fans are more on the side of Caparrós, as they are used to having some real quality to watch (Bebeto, Fran, Mauro Silva, Roy MacKay, Luque, amongst others) and now the team is populated by what Spanish pundits call "la clase media", the middle class (as opposed to the Zidanes and Pavones dichotomy popularized at R. Madrid).

I see Aguiar's Gondomar won today to go just 5 points off the direct promotion spot to top flight after a rival faltered, with 5 games left it seems.

Guest Jeffery S.

Since we have not gotten our usual German report...

Nsaliwa played 90 as Saarbrucken beat Ahlen 1-0 to stay two points out of relegation.

Imhof also saw a whole match from the field as Bochum stayed on course for promotion with a win over Paderborn.

Nice pic on www.bundesliga.de of McKenna celebrating a Radu goal for Cottbus, who beat Freiburg 2-1 and are also in a promotion spot, but still fighting off the fourth placed team.

Ledgerwood's 1860 go tomorrow. They are also fighting to stay above the danger zone.

Sandro Grande played the whole game as a striker when Molde lost 3-2 to Brann. His name is not mentioned a single time in the text commentary at TV2... Rob Friend missed the game due to a previous red card.

Lars Hirschfeld played for Rosenborg as they beat Viking 3-2. From what I can tell, Lars played well but had no chance on the two goals.

Earlier in the day Lillestrøm lost 1-0 to Lyn in Spain. There was no live text commentary and no word on how Olivier did.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Futures: Heerenveen (Friend and Johnson) is 7th but remain just two back of Ajax who lost today. Groningen (Ramalho) is tied with Ajax for the 5th spot, good for the playoff to decide who takes the 2nd Champion's spot.

Interesting to note that Ramalho was on the bench for Groningen today. I think that's the first time I've seen that.

Also, Roda (De Jong) is only 8 pts behind Ajax/Groningen.

Really hope that FSWC picks up the Eredivisie next year. Would love to see these guys play.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Interesting to note that Ramalho was on the bench for Groningen today. I think that's the first time I've seen that.

Also, Roda (De Jong) is only 8 pts behind Ajax/Groningen.

Really hope that FSWC picks up the Eredivisie next year. Would love to see these guys play.

This is what www.rsssf.com says briefly about post-season playoffs in Holland:

NB: after the regular season, there will be a number of play-offs involving the teams finishing 2nd to 13th (2-5 for Champions

League and UEFA Cup, 6-9 for UEFA Cup and UI Cup, 10-13 for UI Cup) as well as the traditional 'nacompetitie' involving the teams finishing 16th and 17th as well as a host of second level teams.

What is the UI Cup? It's Canadian meaning would not make it sound overly lucrative.

Guest Jeffery S.

Klukowski played 90 as Bruges fell to Gent 4-1 and are now close to even losing the third spot in Belgium, with the winner's just a point behind them. The team has really lost steam over the past months after rivalling for the league lead.

Guest Jeffery S.

Klukowski played 90 as Bruges fell to Gent 4-1 and are now close to even losing the third spot in Belgium, with the winner's just a point behind them. The team has really lost steam over the past months after rivalling for the league lead.

The UI cup is a third European cup mostly for teams wanting some Euro cup experience. Those teams just below a nation's CL and UEFA qualification border qualify for it. Often these teams are not interested in playing in this cup because it makes their schedule busy without bringing that much revenue or prestige. Usually the highest team interested in playing in the cup plays and if noone is interested the country doesn't send anyone. I think the winner gets automatic entry into next year's UEFA Cup.

The UI cup is a third European cup mostly for teams wanting some Euro cup experience. Those teams just below a nation's CL and UEFA qualification border qualify for it. Often these teams are not interested in playing in this cup because it makes their schedule busy without bringing that much revenue or prestige. Usually the highest team interested in playing in the cup plays and if noone is interested the country doesn't send anyone. I think the winner gets automatic entry into next year's UEFA Cup.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

That's pretty much correct - except I've never heard it referred to as the "UI Cup". In Norway it's called the Intertoto Cup. Lillestrøm will be the Norwegian team competing in it this summer.

From uefa.com:

quote:The format of UEFA's summer competition, the UEFA Intertoto Cup, will change for the 2006/07 season, following a decision taken by the UEFA Executive Committee at its meeting in Rome on Wednesday.

Three rounds

Under the new format, three rounds will be played in the competition, instead of five. The eleven victorious teams from the Intertoto Cup third round will go through to the second qualifying round of the UEFA Cup. The 49 participating associations will have one place in principle. Under the current system in the competition, which was launched in the summer of 1995, sides have played five rounds, with three final winners progressing to the UEFA Cup first round.

Eleven UEFA Cup qualifiers

"Eleven sides, instead of three, will qualify for the UEFA Cup," said UEFA communications and public affairs director William Gaillard. "We will also endeavour to have one participant from the member associations. If this is not the case because of vacancies, or countries not entering teams into the competition, then we will establish criteria to designate clubs from other associations to enter the competition."

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

That's pretty much correct - except I've never heard it referred to as the "UI Cup". In Norway it's called the Intertoto Cup. Lillestrøm will be the Norwegian team competing in it this summer.

From uefa.com:

quote:The format of UEFA's summer competition, the UEFA Intertoto Cup, will change for the 2006/07 season, following a decision taken by the UEFA Executive Committee at its meeting in Rome on Wednesday.

Three rounds

Under the new format, three rounds will be played in the competition, instead of five. The eleven victorious teams from the Intertoto Cup third round will go through to the second qualifying round of the UEFA Cup. The 49 participating associations will have one place in principle. Under the current system in the competition, which was launched in the summer of 1995, sides have played five rounds, with three final winners progressing to the UEFA Cup first round.

Eleven UEFA Cup qualifiers

"Eleven sides, instead of three, will qualify for the UEFA Cup," said UEFA communications and public affairs director William Gaillard. "We will also endeavour to have one participant from the member associations. If this is not the case because of vacancies, or countries not entering teams into the competition, then we will establish criteria to designate clubs from other associations to enter the competition."

I think UI is just the abbreviation of UEFA Intertoto Cup. They have reduced the number of rounds and increased the number of UEFA places to make it more attractive as often it was hard for national associations, particularly the ones with better leagues, to convince any team to enter the competition.

Archived