Canadians abroad: March 31 - April 6, 2006

DJT

I think UI is just the abbreviation of UEFA Intertoto Cup. They have reduced the number of rounds and increased the number of UEFA places to make it more attractive as often it was hard for national associations, particularly the ones with better leagues, to convince any team to enter the competition.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Issey Nakajima Farran scored in the 42nd minute for VB as they defeated HIK 2-1. He also played the full 90 minutes.

Video highlights

http://www.vejle-boldklub.dk/video/20060402VB-HIK.wmv

Geez, I saw that too but it didn't click.

Regarding the UI Cup, I have never heard it referred to as such, always Intertoto. That makes sense anyways. I think the idea is that any club can sign up for it before a given date, as a club that is ahead of you in the tables can also renounce playing it and you could end up in it.

The real problem with Intertoto, as with early rounds of Uefa and Champions, wass that it started too early, obliged you to prepare the team for competition from the first week of normal European pre-season, and it could end up hurting you over a long season in your home league if your squad is not deep enough. I think the changes address these problems. I also see that letting such a high number of successful teams into the UEFA Cup 2nd round makes it more attractive for all.

Guest Jeffery S.

In the Gondomar 5-0 win over Maia mentioned earlier, Fernando Aguiar got the 2nd goal for the home team. After the 1-0 at the half, they scored four more in the last half hour. They need to win next weekend away to keep their chances at promotion alive, as rivals Leixoes and Desportivo Aves play away like them to teams lower in the table.

Andrea Lombardo did not play (or sit on the bench) in Perugia's 1-0 loss to Grosseto in Serie C1B on Sunday.

Rocco Placentino is injured. Gualdo lost 1-0 to Castelnuovo at home in Serie C2B on Sunday without him. Gualdo's playoff hopes are beginning to fade, they sit 4 points out of the last playoff spot, with 5 matches remaining.

Julian Uccello played the entire match as Sanselpocro tied Maceratese 0-0 in Serie D Girone F on Sunday.

David Masciantonio played the entire match as Monterotondo tied Spes Mentana 0-0 in Serie D Girone G on Sunday. David was Monterotondo's best player, according to datasport.it ( http://www.datasport.it/leggi.aspx?id=3625255 )

Guest Jeffery S.

Ali Gerba was subbed off with two others m. 58 as IFK could only draw scoreless with Osters in for a visit, first fixture of the Swedish season.

Watch for Hutchinson at Copenhagen, they are now top of the league, and he seems to play just as well at the higher (theoretically) level of play in Denmark. Would I be off base imagining some team going for him in the summer?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Any sign of Tyler Hughes?

Sorry, seems he did not dress. He wears no. 16 for Osters, I don't think he has been pushed off the roster for playing reasons, maybe a knock or injury?

Tyler Hughes broke a leg last summer and, as far as I've managed to pick up, is now slowly getting back in shape for a first team position. He has done short periods, like half a match, for the reserves but I saw somewhere he isn't expected in the first team until July, after the World Cup break.

Gerba, btw, got called of the field together with Göteborg's entire attack as coach Erlandsen threw a fit. He was anything but pleased with his team, in particular the attack, and wanted to put pressure on the other players. This 58th minute triple exchange is of course the big postgame talk.

You can find a clip from the match here.

Two screencaps of Elliott Godfrey in action against AFC Wimbledon on Saturday:

godfrey.jpg

Godfrey congratulates a fellow Hampton striker after scoring, with Canuck flags in the background

godfrey2.jpg

Godfrey (third from left) is mobbed by Hampton players after scoring their third goal

And here's a scan of the article from the Non-League Paper (425kb):

http://individual.utoronto.ca/devon/godfrey-article2.jpg

Razak Pimpong scored København's late winner (©Getty Images)København regain Royal League crown

Thursday, 6 April 2006

by Jan Juhlin

from Copenhagen

e-mailPrint

FC København defended their Scandinavian Royal League title in front of their own fans thanks to a dramatic last-minute winner against Lillestrøm SK at the Parken stadium.

Ghanaian hero

Second-half substitute Razak Pimpong was the hero for the Danish side, the Ghanaian scoring just moments before the end of normal time as the match looked poised to become the second successive final to be settled by a penalty shootout.

Andresen injury

The game, played on a heavy pitch in Copenhagen, began badly for Lillestrøm when Pål Steffen Andresen was forced off after a clash of heads with Martin Bergvold and soon it was København, lead by Tobias Linderoth and Urmas Rooba, who took a firm grip on proceedings with Michael Silberbauer seeing a pair of chances to give them the lead go begging.

København pressure

Lillestrøm tried to force their way into the game with a combination of high balls up to Oliver Occean and through-balls to attacking midfielder Robert Koren. However, the Norwegian outfit found it difficult to cope with København's high pressure game. An hour into the match it looked as though the Danish league leaders had got the breakthrough, however an offside decision was to deny them.

Pimpong clincher

With the deadlock looking unlikely to be broken it was Pimpong who made the difference, scoring the winning goal before being handed his second yellow card of the night, for overexuberant celebrations. "It feels great, of course," said København coach Ståle Solbakken after lifting his first trophy as coach. "We really wanted to win this and we did it even though Lillestrøm gave us a very tough game."

©uefa.com 1998-2006. All rights reserved.

Brutal game, Lillestrøm was so tight defensively, the pitch was getting more and more worn down. Occean started well, but in the second half he lost countless battles in the air to Hangeland. Atiba was creative with the ball and moved the ball forward very well. Atiba and Linderoth complement each other with Linderoth as ball-winner and Atiba in an offensive roll. 2nd year in a row for FCK makes them the best club in Scandinavia.

Archived