Moncton Stadium News

quote:Originally posted by Jason

Does anyone know if this would be an upgrade to the old Canada Games site, or are they going to build something new? Also, what about location?

Jason

Canada Games Stadium is in Saint John we're talking about Moncton here. Kinda like like saying is this an upgrade to Sudbury when we're talking about Thunder Bay !

EDIT:....The site has been decided. It'll be on the Université de Moncton campus. As the the Canada Games stadium in on University of New Brunswick Saint John (UNBSJ) campus......... end EDIT:

Anyway it seems this may really happen. PM Harper if you read the link above is in town Friday for "the" announcement". Peter McKay announced y'day 3 and a half million for a swimming pool in Shippagen (Acadie-Bathurst area)and 5 million for a hockey rink in Fredericton. Now what are we're gonna do with with a 10,000 seater after remains a question.

But along with sports facilities announcements there's expected to be 100 million for a highway bypass in Fredericton as well as 80 million for connectors to the new Gunningsville Bridge between Moncton and the neighbouring town of Riverview. Also Riverview (a town of 25,000 on the south side of the Peticodiac river from Moncton) got 8 million for a water tower. Saint John gets it's 100 million plus for clean up of the harbour. Also funding to extend the O-R times at the Sackville Memorial Hospital (Sackville is about 20 minutes outside of Moncton) hopefully giving room for Moncton's two hospitals to clean up it's 5,000 some odd waiting list for thier operating rooms,

Premier Lord has called in all his tickets for the up coming provincial election. Calling his conservative gov'ts relationship with the new fed conservative gov't a great beginning.

Now as much as much as I wanna see new sports facilities and will wave the banner. Let's face it water towers and municipal infrasture like highways, roads, hospitals, etc. should take priority.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I think the CFL is more likely to move to Moncton than the USL. (Even if the stadium is a tad small for CFL)

The talk on the radio this AM and I stress the talk is that the Irving Group will bail out the Renegades if they don't have to pay any expansion fees for Moncton. Becoming two seperate entities with different family members on each board. But it seems a wild rumour to me.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I think the CFL is more likely to move to Moncton than the USL. (Even if the stadium is a tad small for CFL)

The talk on the radio this AM and I stress the talk is that the Irving Group will bail out the Renegades if they don't have to pay any expansion fees for Moncton. Becoming two seperate entities with different family members on each board. But it seems a wild rumour to me.

Breakdown of funding:

$6 million federal

$5 million provincial

$2 million municipal

Operation budget for 2008 IAAF games:

$4.5 million federal

$4 million provincial/municipal slpit.

Now all that needs to happen to get the stadium built is to win the bid next week at a meeting in Osaka Japan.

I know this seems like it has nothing to do with soccer. But I'm sure if this get built soccer will be played there.

Link to CanadaEast.com article

Archived