Hargreaves

Bates

Hargreaves selection to England's World Cup team is getting a rough ride in the English media. This is the typical reaction from the Times of London:"England have loads of defence-minded bodies.

So I can’t understand why Owen Hargreaves is there. I’ve never understood what he gives to England and I never will. Sven-Göran Eriksson seems to love players from big clubs — would Hargreaves be in the squad if he played for Birmingham City instead of Bayern Munich?"

He even got a mention in the Guardian Unlimited commentary on today's UEFA Cup Final.

"For the second time tonight, Boateng, who has been chosen for Holland's provisional World Cup squad, completely misses his kick. Even Owen Hargreaves usually makes contact with the ball when it's right in front of him"

I read the articles on football365 everyday. The site includes newspaper reports, commentary from their own staff, and fans writing in. Hargreaves' selection was butchered! Pretty much everyone attacked his selection.

They conducted a poll on who should have been left out (Walcott, Lennon, Jenas, and Hargreaves) and even in a 4-way, Hargreaves got 60% of the vote!

I read the articles on football365 everyday. The site includes newspaper reports, commentary from their own staff, and fans writing in. Hargreaves' selection was butchered! Pretty much everyone attacked his selection.

They conducted a poll on who should have been left out (Walcott, Lennon, Jenas, and Hargreaves) and even in a 4-way, Hargreaves got 60% of the vote!

quote:Originally posted by Bangoutoforder

I can understand why you guys find him to be an offensive little prick. But, you know what?

He's not that good.

True but don't tell the Canadian press that. According to them, he's the only thing worthwhile that Canada has produced soccer-wise.

quote:Originally posted by Bangoutoforder

I can understand why you guys find him to be an offensive little prick. But, you know what?

He's not that good.

For the England squad? You are correct. But he is good enough for the Canadian team. As much as I hate to admit it, we could really use the offensive little prick - that is atleast one of several reasons why Canadian fans despise him.

The JDG2 issue has caused some of this Hargreaves bashing to resurface because it reminds fans of what could happen - and that would be a huge loss for Canada. Hargreaves with both DGs would have been a great midfield, and would have allowed other top talents like Stalteri and Hutchinson to move back to help with the talent/speed/depth stortage there.

Guest speedmonk42
Originally posted by Bates

I happen to know a lot of the community people that gave their time to Owen and you will not find many of those that think that he owes them or Canada anything. They are very proud that one of their own made in to the top of the sport.

-----------------

So what? There we have a serious problem, the catch 22 in the heart of the game. It is these exact kind of expat morons that keep the game from going places in Canada.

And what are they really going to say in public anyway?

He earned his nickname well. It will stick.

You speak of Countries buying other Countries players when it goes against but I remember this forum singing the praises of former National Players who had never been to Canada.

-------------

Not me. My only exception to this is if the person is going to move here and become a bonifide member of that community, the soccer community in this country. Then I have no problem. Which is why I have no problem with JDG2

When our National team shows a little respect to the grass level of soccer in this Countries and doesn't import players from other Countries they can then demand such respect in return.

--------------

I agree, but, but its childish to justify ones actions like this. Only a child would say, "they did it, so I can do it"

I would also guess that if 90% of the posters on this forum were given the same choice as Owen they would also be members of England's National team!!!

-------------------

I actually don't beleive that. If they were playing for the Lynx and go the chance to play for England maybe, if they were millionaires playing with top flight teams I think the numbers would be very different.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

What the hell, has *anyone* ever seen a Whore article from Canada that paints him in a negative light?

That whole cut as a kid bull still gets on me. Suck it up.

Tell me about it. It's infuriarting. And not only that, but time and time again these articles show disrespect to the Canadian team - you know, the players that actually make sacrifices for their country (the sacrifice that Whore said was just too much. The article portrays the Cdn nats like a bunch of USL bums.

It's also these types of articles that only highlight the problem with traitors like the Whore. It's a vicious-cycle. Young Canadian kids read this crap and get it in their head that the national team is not worth playing for. With the majority of Canada's soccer playing youth coming from ethnic communities or newly immigrated families, the future of Canadian soccer is put in dire jeapordy as the country never reaps the benefits of the talents it produces. We saw it with the Whore and we're seeing it against with DeGuzman.

The sad thing is is that all it takes is one star player brave enough to pull on the Canadian colours. One players who breaks through into international stardom and makes it fashionable to play for Canada. Gretzky did it for Hockey in LA. All it takes is one.

One good thing about this article is that it *finally* debunks the youth team myth. Time and time again Whore supporters have held up the rediculous argument that Whore was justified in his decision because the poor, delicate young soul had his feelings hurt by the big bad short sighted CSA. Even the Whore admits that wasn't the case.

I long suspected Hargreaves would have a Phil Neville-type career for England. Phil Neville achieved an astonishing 52 caps for England as a utility player, despite never being an ever present. Hargreaves, IMHO, is just the new Phil Neville -- at least until SGE departs. Congrats, Owen.

The Neville brothers were both crap, could never understand why they were in the Premiership let alone the national team. I wouldn't even take them for our national team. The only good thing I can say for them is it was fun throughout the years as a Scotland fan to listen to my English friends bitch and moan about Neville yet the next game he was not only selected but a starter. As much as Hargeaves has never done much in an England shirt I don't think he was ever as bad as Phil Neville. But yes even considering that he was injured most of the year and trying to be objective, it is pretty shocking that the Whore is on the provisional list. Not even a starter for Bayern in the last two games. He would be a starter for Canada but hasn't developed into anything special in the last few years and certainly hasn't realized his potential. Maybe my voodoo doll works after all. If Sven actually selects him they should replace him immediately with McClaren.

quote:Originally posted by Bates

I'm sure Owen will not be upset having chosen to play for England in at least one world cup instead of playing 20 friendlies for Canada!!!

And if he's fine with that then fine. However, it does go to show what kind of person he is: he'd prefer the personal glory of saying he played in the world cup to competing for national pride to make Canada competitive on the international stage.

Me? I'm a national pride kinda guy. Maybe that's because I'm proud of where I'm from.

quote:Originally posted by Bates

I'm sure Owen will not be upset having chosen to play for England in at least one world cup instead of playing 20 friendlies for Canada!!!

And if he's fine with that then fine. However, it does go to show what kind of person he is: he'd prefer the personal glory of saying he played in the world cup to competing for national pride to make Canada competitive on the international stage.

Me? I'm a national pride kinda guy. Maybe that's because I'm proud of where I'm from.

Archived