Canada still ranked at No.85

Timotas

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Cracker? A Ritz?

G-Man was trying to be funny by implying that Canada is full of 'crackers' (ie. white people).

I guess we'll have to inform Hutchinson, Occean, Bernier, De Guzman, Gerba, De Rosario and Ademolu that they are now 'crackers'.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

Iran is really good, look out for them, unlucky group though.

Americans aren't that great, like they for sure should usually be in the top 15 and in good form maybe hit the top 10 but think about it: If Italy and the US played ten games, who would have the better record. Same with mexico, england, portugal, spain etc etc.

I honestly think that the Americans would go at least .500 in a home and home with all of those teams.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

Iran is really good, look out for them, unlucky group though.

Americans aren't that great, like they for sure should usually be in the top 15 and in good form maybe hit the top 10 but think about it: If Italy and the US played ten games, who would have the better record. Same with mexico, england, portugal, spain etc etc.

Well if the US is overrated you also have a pretty good list there of other equally if not more overrated teams in Italy, Mexico, England, Portugal and Spain.

quote:Originally posted by Bangoutoforder

I honestly think that the Americans would go at least .500 in a home and home with all of those teams.

:D honestly, america has nobody even close to the skill of Totti, Del Piero, figo, christian ronaldo, owen, blancho ochoa, gerrard, luis garcia, jaoquin, juanito, lampard, etc. etc..

like honestly, just be realistic, I'm not saying the US is bad, but I am saying they are outclassed by the teams they are ahead. For sure the odd time america could beat these teams but it ten games, the best the US could hope for against any of these teams (except maybe mexico) is 2 wins, 4 draws and 4 losses.

Despite their current FIFA ranking and the recent loss to Italy, Germany has consistently been far better over the last decade than any of Italy, Mexico, England, Portugal and Spain. I would say Germany would probably beat the US regularly in a 10 game series. The US would be at worst even with Mexico. The other countries would hold a slight advantage or be even with the US but the US is certainly in their class.

Quote from Bruce Arena about the loss to Germany: "We had anywhere from two to three first-team players playing, seven, eight, nine players fighting for a roster spot," he said after arriving Thursday in Hamburg, where the United States will be based during the tournament.

Because of injuries and club commitments, Landon Donovan, Brian McBride, Claudio Reyna, DaMarcus Beasley, Oguchi Onyewu and Eddie Lewis weren't with the U.S. team.

ALthough by no means impossible I don't think anybody would suggest inclusion of these players would have enabled the USA to defeat Germany but they very likely would have helped keep the scoreline more even. The USA was essentially playing a B+ side.

Was anyone able to see the match? I was under the impression the Germans were also fielding pretty much a B+ side.

Was going to be tough on the Yanks no matter what all things considered. However, hard to judge how beat up the Germans were going into this match (a lot of footie under the belt by this time of year) and how enthusiastic they pursued things knowing they've all got to go back to their clubs on the weekend for the season end push. Maybe it mattered, maybe not. Don't know. Didn't see the thing.

Horrible record in Europe for the Yanks. And I think everybody knows I'm no Keller fan.

They should play Austria and Northern Ireland. Maybe Lux.

Archived