RIP Jimmy Johnstone

Excumbrian

Bit before my time but as a Cheeta cub nursing on football from my Celtic mentors of the late '70s Jinky Johnston The Artfull Dodger, was held in the highest regard.

Being predictably unpredictable to great effect (you hear that de Rossario?). A living pox to the English, and one of the immortal Lisbon Lions. Forty years on and they still sing his praise in the grandstands at Parkhead.

A hard way to go out. A very hard way. But I suppose, to no ones surprise, only after more fight then could have ever been expected.

Very cool tribute to him:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...ic/4805416.stm

Celtic players will all wear the number seven on their shorts in Sunday's CIS Cup final as a tribute to club legend Jimmy Johnstone.

Johnstone died on Monday, at the age of 61, after a long battle with motor neurone disease.

There will also be a minute's applause ahead of the final against Dunfermline at Hampden Park.

"The club have been allowed to wear the iconic number seven on their shorts," said Celtic chief Peter Lawwell.

He added: "In Jimmy's playing days, players only wore numbers on their shorts so this is a fitting tribute.

"We have also agreed with the league that we will have a one minute of applause before the game, which will sum Jimmy's vibrancy up more than a silence."

Lawwell added that Celtic have "developed a number of ideas to pay tribute to Jimmy", at their next home game against Inverness, next Wednesday.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Very cool tribute to him:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...ic/4805416.stm

Celtic players will all wear the number seven on their shorts in Sunday's CIS Cup final as a tribute to club legend Jimmy Johnstone.

Johnstone died on Monday, at the age of 61, after a long battle with motor neurone disease.

There will also be a minute's applause ahead of the final against Dunfermline at Hampden Park.

"The club have been allowed to wear the iconic number seven on their shorts," said Celtic chief Peter Lawwell.

He added: "In Jimmy's playing days, players only wore numbers on their shorts so this is a fitting tribute.

"We have also agreed with the league that we will have a one minute of applause before the game, which will sum Jimmy's vibrancy up more than a silence."

Lawwell added that Celtic have "developed a number of ideas to pay tribute to Jimmy", at their next home game against Inverness, next Wednesday.

A very fitting tribute indeed. I believe Celtic were the last team in the UK to put numbers on the backs of their shirts (didn't want to break the precious hoops). The players had a number on the front of their right leg and a number on the back of their left. A very cool tribute from a team that always remembers it's greats (as do Rangers and most of the big British teams).

I am blessed to be able to say that I saw the wee man play many times as a kid. Just magnificent!!! There may have been more talented players in the world (but not many) but few that inspired the sheer joy in his supporters the way he did.

That team of '67 (the first and only team to become the champions of Europe with a team made up entirely of domestic players) had many great players and characters....Jinky just shone brighter than the rest.

Heaven's starting eleven just picked up a superb talent.

Archived