Canadians abroad: March 10-16, 2006

DJT

Guest Jeffery S.

Fernando Aguiar's Gondomar got a big away win at Ovar vs. Ovarense, 0-4, with Robocop scoring the second goal and playing 90 with NO CARDS, really not necessary this match. They are 5 back of the last promotion spot, held by Leixoes, with 8 games to go.

Marco Bras does not seen to be figuring for Pampilhosa since being red-carded and missing a match a few weeks ago, but they won to keep remote chances at a promotion playoff to the 2nd tier alive.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by loyola

Daniel Imhof's Bochum won 1-0 against 1860 Munich (Ledgerwood).

Marcel De Jong Helmond Sport won 2-0 and they are tied for the third place in Holland second division.

See that Marcel was subbed out m. 89, apparently to waste time. The team is actually tied on points for 2nd in the division with two other teams, one of which has a game in hand. But the 8th place team, who they play this weekend away, is just 3 points back, so everything is very tight with just 4 -and for some 5- games left.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Kenny was named MVP for the Start match. I believe Start finished in 2nd place last season, so they are a very strong club.

Kenny has been rotated throughout the preseason, sharing the goalkeeping duties with TIL's veteran keeper. TIL's keeper is considered one of the best in Norway, but Kenny has made it known in the media that he intends to challenge for the starting position. Although initially signed as a back-up, the coaching staff obviously realize that Kenny is a strong keeper (or he wouldn't be seeing significant action in preseason), and appear to be preparing Kenny for some action.

I expect Kenny will start the season on the bench, but he should definetly see first-team action this year.

Kenny played an excellent match - especially in the first half when Start had several good scoring opportunities stopped by him. It could easily have been 3 or 4 goals against at the half.

Patrice picked up his game and played an excellent 2nd half and scored his 1st goal for Tromsø since 2004. I think he will be a dominant midfielder in Norway this year, but will probably move to a bigger league in the summer window (although I would love to have him in Start as the central midfielder in our 4-3-3).

Kenny's competition - Knut Borch - missed most of last season with an injury. Before that he was emerging as one of Norway's top keepers, and working his way into national team discussions. If he finds his old form Kenny will spend a lot of time on the bench. If he falters, Kenny will get his chance.

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian came on m. 90, had a good shot blocked by a defender, but Depor could only draw Espanyol at home 0-0 and their rival will go to the Copa del Rey final vs. Zaragoza, April 12.

If Julian had scored they would have gone through, and I'd be pleased, but when it comes to teams I prefer to see Espanyol through, I am one of the culé minority that is not anti-periquito.

Good, in a perverse way, to see Depor's inoperancy so clearly without Julian on the field, in the end you see the problem is the coach, the players, the system, a bit of everything, and noone can be pointing fingers at relatively young new arrival like De G.

Alfreton Town 1 Workington 3 (English Conference North)

Two quotes from the Non-League Paper match report:

"[Alfreton Town goalkeeper] Simon Rayner had already been forced into a fine save to keep outWayne Gordon before Darren Edmondson equalised [for Alfreton] from Craig Johnson's freekick."

"Berkeley's shot was spilled by Rayner and Henney added the third."

Archived