Red Bull New York

jaydog2006

Guest Jeffery S.

Just want to point out that such names are very common in European basketball, and have been for at least 30 years, perhaps longer. It is also very common in all other team sports in Europe, except maybe rugby. But in handball, volleyball, waterpolo, in old-style roller hockey. Only in the last 10 are we seeing them in football, interestingly enough Austria is one of the leagues where you see it most.

In Spanish football I only know of one team with a corporate name, and they play in the same division as my neighbourhood team, fifth tier, Catalan division. The city is Premià, the team is Ricoh Premià. This can only happen if the sponsor effectively negotiates a legal name change for the team, otherwise the press will just ignore the corporate name and call the team by its former name.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Corporate branding has been around since at least 1904. Bayer Leverkusen anyone?

bayer.gif

bayer.jpg

Gooner, sorry, but Bayer Leverkusen became "Bayer" Leverkusen after Bayer took their sponsorship out of Bayer 05 Uerdingen (Krefeld) in 1995 and put it into the Leverkusen club.

But, funny enough, when Bayer pulled out of Uerdingen football club, they plummeted down, league by league and now play in the Oberliga (4th division).

Bayer uerdingen became "Bayer" in 64-65, so that may be one of the oldest coperate branded clubs in the world.

Now they are known as KFC Uerdingen 05 (i guess the origins of the club were laid in 1905).

Guest Domi Rulezz
quote:Originally posted by zacRWE

Gooner, sorry, but Bayer Leverkusen became "Bayer" Leverkusen after Bayer took their sponsorship out of Bayer 05 Uerdingen (Krefeld) in 1995 and put it into the Leverkusen club.

But, funny enough, when Bayer pulled out of Uerdingen football club, they plummeted down, league by league and now play in the Oberliga (4th division).

Bayer uerdingen became "Bayer" in 64-65, so that may be one of the oldest coperate branded clubs in the world.

Now they are known as KFC Uerdingen 05 (i guess the origins of the club were laid in 1905).

Not according to Bayer's site.

http://www.sport.bayer.com/index.cfm?PAGE_ID=3454

i sort of wished they made an attempt for the old "Cosmos" nickname for nostalgic reasons.

Never liked the "Metrostars" nickname and fyi, since the teams inception, they were always referred to as Metrostars and never 'New York' or what some people put them as 'NY/NJ'. Also, hence Metromdia ownership, the 'M' appeared like an electrical voltage, signifying Metromedia's background.

i can live with 'Red Bull'

Red Bull Salzburg

Total Network Solutions

Airbus UK

Bayer Leverkusen

Vauxhall Motors

Bangladesh Army

Beijing Hyundai

Air India FC

Prime Minister's Office F.C.

Melaka Telekom

National Bank of Pakistan

Khan Research Laboratories

Singapore Armed Forces Football Club

Indian River Inn Bombers

Vielle Case Credit Union Itassi

Sheraton Hôtel

Asmara Brewery

Ethiopian Coffee

Metheara Sugar

Gambia Ports Authority F.C.

Agro-Chemical

Kenya Commercial Bank

Monrovia Club Breweries

Yes, damn that MLS for being the name sell-out-those unique people who are the first to give in to corporate names, the bastards! It's so fake and sucks, you know.

/you're a troll

logo.jpg

Skoda Xanthi currently sits in 4rth place in the Greek league. According to their website they added the Skoda part in 1991.

And Red Bull New York sounds better than New York Red Bulls, which is going to be shortened to Bulls anyway.

Edit: Oh yeah, look, soccer ball in the logo. All those wannabe-Euro-snobs can stop complaining. Although I do think a soccer ball in a logo looks stupid. :D

And wasn't the Blue Jays name picked because Labatts owned the team?

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Red Bull Salzburg

Total Network Solutions

Airbus UK

Bayer Leverkusen

Vauxhall Motors

Bangladesh Army

Beijing Hyundai

Air India FC

Melaka Telekom

National Bank of Pakistan

Khan Research Laboratories

Singapore Armed Forces Football Club

Indian River Inn Bombers

Vielle Case Credit Union Itassi

Sheraton Hôtel

Asmara Brewery

Ethiopian Coffee

Metheara Sugar

Gambia Ports Authority F.C.

Agro-Chemical

Kenya Commercial Bank

Monrovia Club Breweries

TNS will no longer be a sponsor as the company has been bought out. The team will return to it's old name.

Airbus UK is a company team and carries it's current name because the factory is under a different ownership than in the past.

Vauxall Motors als stared out as a compnay team and retains the name due to it's history.

The same applies to teams in the developed world. Every aspect of their country is represented by a soccer team.

SAFFC represents the military.

So the teams you mention have no real corperate assocaition with the clubs.

Red Bull is the exception.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Sigma Olomouc is named after a company called Sigma - www.sigma.cz :)

I had no idea. "Sigma", you're such a sellout, choosing a corporate name! [:0]

Seriously, with the increasing trend to plaster corporate names, logos, etc. all over the place [xx(], I predict that some celebrity or athlete will adopt, officially or unofficially, in whole or in part, the name of a sponsor as their own name. Though perhaps before that happens we'll see something like what Homer did in the most recent episode of The Simpsons (HABF05 "My Fair Laddy").

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Total Network Solutions

Airbus UK

I've never heard of PMO FC before. Is this a Sunday-league side? If so, hardly a fair comparison.

As for the two Welsh clubs you noted - TNS have bowed to supporter pressure, and will lose the corporate name for the 2006-07 season, reverting back to a community-based name. Airbus UK are likely to do the same.

Support whoredom all you want - just hope you sleep well in your bedsheets made of bank notes!

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

This is, in effect, the text book definition of a troll. And you are absolutely correct of course, and this has been the case for some time. The number of times he has contradicted his previous posts for the sake of negativity almost beggars belief. Now he provides a few more examples. He complained about the lack of different owners in the MLS but now that yet another one has come on board he complains about this as well. He claims the MLS isn't a major league and has no fans or support but now suggests the support for the Metrostars was so loyal & significant in size that they should matter to the new owners (even though most of the fan response I've seen has been positive to this). Its one contradiction after another, but that's the way of the troll.

The biggest joke in the latest lame post is that he says that the re-naming has nothing to do with the game but has to do with profit & marketing, which is said with all the communistic zeal of someone who believes that corporations shouldn't be allowed to make money with their business. I guess he wasn't aware that the naming of the team in the first place was corporate since the Metrostars were named after their original owners, Metromedia. Its always been that way with this team. Our thanks for bringing us the news 10 years late once again.

I can't G-L that the Canadian Soccer Association sells the naming right to our national team. We could be the Big Macs.

Like I said, you're a total whore for jumping onto the MLS Toronto bandwagon and leaving behind your real local club- the lynx.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is the quote of the year!!!!

"Like I said, you're a total whore for jumping onto the MLS Toronto bandwagon and leaving behind your real local club- the lynx."

HA! HA! HA! HA!

those kleidoscope glasses really do wonders, next we'll hear the Hartrells should be owners of the year and G-L will be expecting with child. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a fool.

New Jersians are angry about team being called New York, as opposed to New Jersey.

NorthJersey.com: New MetroStars nickname is hard to swallow in N.J.

North Jersey.com: Politicians see red over Metros' new moniker

NJ Star Ledger Jersey officials see Red over name change

Associated Press: New Jersey not happy with Red Bull New York

``Their new name may be Red Bull New York, but striking New Jersey from their name seems to be a different kind of bull altogether,' said Brendan Gilfillan, a spokesman for Gov. Jon S. Corzine. ``This is a team that sells its products in New Jersey, draws its fan base from New Jersey and receives funding from New Jersey.'

``They will not play in our stadium unless they have New Jersey in their name,' he said.

State legislators are also gearing up for a fight. On Friday, two Assembly members announced they are crafting legislation to pressure the team's owners ``to give New Jersey the respect and courtesy' by including the state's name.

quote:Originally posted by Franky

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is the quote of the year!!!!

"Like I said, you're a total whore for jumping onto the MLS Toronto bandwagon and leaving behind your real local club- the lynx."

HA! HA! HA! HA!

those kleidoscope glasses really do wonders, next we'll hear the Hartrells should be owners of the year and G-L will be expecting with child. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a fool.

I just thought that G-L was fat.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

New Jersians are angry about team being called New York, as opposed to New Jersey.

Associated Press: New Jersey not happy with Red Bull New York

Certainly you can ask your team's president and general manager, Alexi Lalas, himself a graduate of Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, about the importance of 'Jersey Pride,' Lautenberg wrote.

"Jersey Pride"? 028.gif The dude is having a giraffe. Who is he kidding?

quote:Originally posted by Franky

i sort of wished they made an attempt for the old "Cosmos" nickname for nostalgic reasons.

It would make a fun retro-NASL day if the "Cosmos" played against DC United dressed in the old Washington Diplomats kit. Remember those shirts with the word "Dips" on the front? ;)

oh god, how could i ever forget the "Dips", still to this day, i could not figure out the angle behind that, instead of putting the whole entire "Diplomats" name.

btw, hah, hah, Goof-Man got in trouble, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah. it only took about seven days to respond, whats the point, old news.

Archived