Josh Wagenaar at ADO den Haag

loyola

According to the CSA site, Fernandes is born in 1983 so he isn't eligible for the 2008 Olympics qualifying tournament. But I agree that Wagenaar look like our only option for our U-23, except for the younger guys like Begovic and Giacomi.

At the very least Wagenaar will play a lot of reserve games which is a good way to adapt to the pro level when you're coming from the NCAA.

It's excellent to see him take that next step. He's done all he can at college and needs to move on. Having that passport sure is golden when it comes to European opportunity.

All the best of luck to him. Agreed about him being the keeper of choice for the Olympic team, at least at this point and time.

Good stuff.

ADO are sitting 16 in the Eridivisie, probably facing a relegation play off. Im hoping they stay up, but if the are relegated to tier 2, it might not be so bad either. He would probably have a better shot at pulling down the number 1 spot earlier.

Good luck to him!

quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

ADO are sitting 16 in the Eridivisie, probably facing a relegation play off. Im hoping they stay up, but if the are relegated to tier 2, it might not be so bad either. He would probably have a better shot at pulling down the number 1 spot earlier.

Good luck to him!

That's pretty good news. As another poster has mentioned, ADO are sitting near the basement of the Eredivisie, and it doesn't look good for them staying up, at least not without at playoff. But it is still a nice move.

As an aside, ADO are known for having some of the rowdier (and more racist) fans in Dutch football. This has abated somewhat over recent years on account of their team sucking, but they are usually good for an incident or two a season.

Here's the Hartwick article:

Wagenaar Signs Professional Contract

March 08, 2006 : - Inks Deal with ADO Den Haag in Holland

ONEONTA, NY – Hartwick College junior goalkeeper Josh Wagenaar has signed a contract to play professional soccer with ADO Den Haag of the Eredivisie League in Holland.

Wagenaar, will train with the club until his contract officially begins on July 1, 2006. The deal is for two years, with a club option for two additional years.

“It’s a great opportunity for Josh,” said Hartwick College head coach Ian McIntyre. “He will be going into a situation where it’s a full-time, highly-challenging soccer environment. I have talked with Josh and his family over the past two years about his opportunities to play professionally, and the timing for Josh to make this move is right. It will give him the chance to further develop and make immediate progress in the professional ranks and with the Canadian National team.”

Wagenaar ranks among the top goalkeepers in Hartwick history. He was named to the NSCAA All-Region team in both 2004 and 2005, and was honored as a first-team Atlantic Soccer Conference all star. He posted a 0.74 goals against average in 2005, ranking among the NCAA leaders. He played in just 12 games for the Hawks in 2005, as his season was cut short by a foot injury suffered in a win over St. John’s University. Wagenaar also missed Hartwick’s season opening game against Brown University, while he had been called up to the Canadian national team.

For his career at Hartwick, Wagenaar played in 47 matches, posted a record of 34-7-5, and had a goal-against average of 0.74.

“While we are very happy for Josh, obviously there is some sadness to see him go,” said McIntyre. “He has been a big part of our program for the last three years and he is a big part of the Hartwick soccer family.”

ADO Den Haag currently plays in the top professional division in Holland.

“It’s one of the most recognized leagues internationally,” said McIntyre. “It ranks with England, Italy and Spain, and the Eredivisie has some very recognizable teams such as Ajax and PSV Eindhooven.”

ADO Den Haag is currently 7-17-3 this season. The Eredivisie regular season runs from August until April.

For Hartwick, sophomore goalkeeper Joe Gibson will likely inherit the starting goalkeeper position for the 2006 season. Gibson played in nine games, making eight starts in Wagenaar’s absense. Gibson posted a 5-3 record and a 0.86 goals against average. He came in to the St. John’s match in relief of Wagenaar and finished the game as Hartwick upset the sixth-ranked team in the nation. Gibson also patrolled the nets for Hartwick’s wins in the ASC Championship, and played well in the Hawks’ loss to Seton Hall in the NCAA tournament.

“Joe was arguably our best player in the Seton Hall game last year, and he played very well down the stretch for us,” said McIntyre. “I think he has the confidence of our team.”

Hartwick posted a 13-6-1 record in 2005, and made it’s 23rd trip to the NCAA tournament. The Hawks won both the regular season and Hartwick will celebrate its 50 years of men’s soccer throughout the 2006 season.

Before the last WYC, I remember Soccer Central did an interview with both Wagenaar and Begovic and Josh said he has an dutch passport because his parents are Dutch. He also said that the WYC would be a good opportunity for him to get notice by a dutch club.

ADO Den Haag haalt Canadese doelman

ADO Den Haag heeft zich voor volgend seizoen versterkt met Josh Wagenaar. De residentieclub kwam een tweejarig contract met een optie voor nog twee seizoenen overeen met de Canadese doelman, die tevens over een Nederlands paspoort beschikt. Tot 1 juli speelt Wagenaar in oefenduels op amateurbasis voor ADO.

De 21-jarige Wagenaar speelde vorig jaar met Canada op het WK onder twintig in Nederland. Hij is ook al opgeroepen voor het 'grote' Canada. De doelman speelde tot voor kort in het universiteitsteam van Hartwick College.

• 2 weeks later...

Wagenaar Ready for the Big Time

March 20, 2006 :  - Junior goalkeeper starts training in Holland

THE HAGUE—The ADO in ADO Den Haag, stands for “Alles Door Oefening,” which translates to “Everything Through Practice” in English. Hartwick College junior goalkeeper Josh Wagenaar has helped to prove that theorem, as he recently signed a multi-year contract to play for ADO Den Haag, a club in Holland’s professional soccer league. Wagenaar’s deal with ADO is for two years with a club option for two additional years. ADO plays in the Eredivisie, the top division among Holland’s professional leagues.

“It’s one of the most recognized leagues internationally,” said Hartwick College head coach Ian McIntyre. “It ranks with England, Italy, and Spain, and the Eredivisie has some very recognizable teams such as Ajax and PSV Eindhooven.” McIntyre adds, “It’s a great opportunity for Josh. While we are very happy for him, obviously there is some sadness to see him go. He has been a big part of our program for the last three years, and he is a big part of the Hartwick soccer family.”

Wagenaar, a native of Grimsby, Ontario, and a member of the Canadian National team, had taken the spring semester off from Hartwick to explore possibilities for a professional career. While the Eredivisie season runs from August through April, Wagenaar’s contract officially begins on July 1, 2006. He will train with the team and play in non-league friendly matches until that date.

Wagenaar, who is now with his new club in The Hague, Holland’s third-largest city, responded to a few questions via e-mail:

“I felt that if I really wanted to get my professional career started, I needed to do so now,” wrote Wagenaar, who recently turned 21. “I think ADO is looking to me to be the second keeper, but I think that there would be something wrong with me if I wasn’t trying my hardest to change the minds of the coaching staff to get them to believe in me as their number one keeper.”

In Wagenaar the Hawks lose a highly decorated player who has been an integral part of the team’s success over the past three years. Wagenaar ranks among the top goalkeepers in Hartwick history. He was named to the NSCAA All-Region team in both 2004 and 2005 and was honored as a first-team Atlantic Soccer Conference All Star. He posted a 0.74 goals against average in 2005, ranking among the NCAA leaders. In his Hartwick career, Wagenaar played in 47 matches, posted a record of 34-7-5, and had a goal-against average of 0.74.

The decision to forego his senior season at Hartwick was not an easy one for the 6-3, 210-pound keeper. Hartwick did not have a single senior on the roster of the team that posted a 13-6-1 record and advanced to the NCAA tournament in 2005 and expects to return an extremely talented squad for another run at the postseason in 2006.

“It was an incredibly hard decision, one that has taken a lot of time and a lot of pain,” said Wagenaar. “I have so many good friends at Hartwick, and it’s just such a special place. But, in the end, I have to look out for my own career a little bit, and I’m very happy to have at least made it to the national tournament [with Hartwick in 2005]. That was my one of my goals when I came into the program, and it happened this year, so I’m delighted that I’m leaving on a high note.”

Wagenaar believes that his experience at Hartwick has him well prepared for his new venture with ADO.

“College soccer is just a step down from the pros," said Wagenaar. “You are training every day in the fall and playing once or twice a week, so it gears you to make that step to the pros. The coaching staff has helped me to mature as a player and also as a person. Ian, [Assistant Coach] Ewan Seabrook, and [goalkeeper coach Randall] Moate have helped me immensely in these things as did [former assistant coach Geoff Bennett]”

Asked to rate his overall experience at Hartwick, Wagenaar responded in glowing terms.

“Oh man, awesome!” wrote Wagenaar. “I love it at Hartwick. It was a hard thing to say goodbye. I don’t think there is another soccer program in the nation that can compare to ours, from the camaraderie, to the different kinds of people, to the fantastic coaching, to our facilities. You can’t find a better pitch than Elmore or better training pitches than Table Rock.”

While a professional soccer career is his top priority right now, Wagenaar does plan on finishing his academic career.

“I am planning on finishing,” wrote Wagenaar. “[Junior back] Tyler Hemming and I want to be coaching partners at a university when our respective careers are finished, and you need a degree to coach in the NCAA.” Clearly sporting a mischievous grin, he adds, “Tyler can be the head coach, with all the responsibility and I will be the assistant coach and go on the scouting trips to Hawaii. It will be my duty as assistant coach and head of scouting to check—and double check—that island for talent!”

• 2 weeks later...

Good news for Josh Wagenaar as ADO will release two of their goalkeepers at the end of the season:

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?h...t+to+leave+ADO

Quartet to leave ADO

By Jeffrey Glorie - Created on 30 Mar 2006

ADO Den Haag are to usher a quartet of players through the door at the end of the season.

Dorus de Vries, Roy Stroeve, Spira Grujic and Cees Paauwe have been informed their contracts will not be renewed for next term.

Keeper de Vries had been a fixture in the side for two years since his move from Stormvogels/Telstar, but has slipped out of the picture following the capture of Jaroslav Drobny.

Midfielder Stroeve has lost his place having made over 120 appearances for the club, while defender Grujic and keeper Paauwe have been struggling with injuries.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After some poor performances in the preseason games (especially a 5-4 loss to a greek side in The Hague) by #1 goalkeeper Stefan Postma, some ADO fans want Wagenaar to be their #1. We'll see if he gets some playing time in their last exhibition game.

Honestly, I would be surprise to see them replace an experienced GK they just signed for a 21 yrs old with no pro experience to start the season. But it could be an interesting situation for Wagenaar, maybe something similar to what happenned to Fernandes with PAOK (backing up an old GK for a year and stealing his spot at some point).

Archived