Vancouver Sun Whitecaps Stadium Article

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

Perhaps not but there is also no real obvious reason why they would not be broadcasting the sort of information that I am looking for.

I think there is. The Whitecaps can say whatever they want about their prospective stadium because if it happens, it will be theirs, fully owned & paid for by the Whitecaps. MLSE is not in the same boat. It is not their stadium it is the City of Toronto's. The City will own in and much of the funding is coming from government sources, even though MLSE are the one's responsible for ensuring it gets built in time. I imagine that any initial formal announcements about the stadium in Toronto will have to be done in conjunction with these other parties, and as you have pointed out, the respective Governments often have other priorities. Once they are all ready I am confident we will get the full disclosure everyone is looking for on the exact design of the stadium & all its amenties.

Now the other information you mentioned you are looking for, such as ticket prices for MLS, that has more to do with the club, and not really the stadium, and it doesn't have much to do with a thread that was designed to talk about Vancouver's stadium, not Toronto's MLS club. I have already provided my view as to what I think they are waiting for in this regard, which is the most opportune marketing opportunity for such an announcment.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I'm sure they will let people know the score once everything is in place. I also expect that announcements will be timed for maximum publicity value (ie. closer to the World Cup).

The main concern I have is that private construction companies are using public funds to build a stadium. Without oversight, this $62 million stadium could really be a $52 million one featuring $3000 toilet seats and $2000 doorknobs on the expense list. Call me paranoid, but who is keeping tabs on construction costs?

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

The main concern I have is that private construction companies are using public funds to build a stadium. Without oversight, this $62 million stadium could really be a $52 million one featuring $3000 toilet seats and $2000 doorknobs on the expense list. Call me paranoid, but who is keeping tabs on construction costs?

I think right now only private funds have been used. That is expected to change of course. If construction cost does go over board, more government (or taxpayer) money isn't going to change hands into MLSE's pockets, MLSE is on the hook for that as per their agreement with the City & the CSA. As you might expect, I think it is in MLSE's vested interest that costs don't fly off the handle.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I don't think the Impact would get 20,000 for its games in USL or MLS. You'd also have to share the stadium (and the football lines) with the Alouettes...and guess who would get first crack at schedule dates? (Not to mention paying a lease, and not controlling concessions etc)

I also think Saputo stadium WILL be done in time for July 2007, as it's mostly a pre-fab design, with room for expansion down the road.

Maybe it's time you jump on a Westjet flight from cowtown and try an Impact game. They average 9,000 fans a game for the USL, had to turn people away after getting over 13,000 for the final two years ago, and would have filled McGill stadium if Desantis wanted to play the final on field turf, which, thank the lord, he didn't. With a soccer fanbase like Montreal already has for USL, if you give the people of that city the opportunity to see games at an even higher level, I'd almost guarantee they would meet the MLS league average attendance, maybe even bring that number up.

Secondly, this is a soccer specific stadium that, as far as I know, will not be shared with the Al's. The stadium in MTL will have a capacity of 17,500 (in it's expanded format).

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I think right now only private funds have been used. That is expected to change of course. If construction cost does go over board, more government (or taxpayer) money isn't going to change hands into MLSE's pockets, MLSE is on the hook for that as per their agreement with the City & the CSA. As you might expect, I think it is in MLSE's vested interest that costs don't fly off the handle.

It is also in MLSE's best interests to keep costs as close to $45 million as possible. As I understand it (and the "secrecy" in the numbers/deals around this stadium make this impossible to state with certainty) the public purse is contributing the first $45 million with MLSE contributing the balance (including over runs). So those people on here that have expressed concerns about the boring simplicity of the stadium....your answer may lie here. If MLSE can deliver a stadium for less than the planned $62 million, they benefit but the public still kicks in their full $$$$. Hardly a well crafted Private Public Partnership.

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

As I understand it (and the "secrecy" in the numbers/deals around this stadium make this impossible to state with certainty) the public purse is contributing the first $45 million with MLSE contributing the balance (including over runs).

I do not believe this is correct, at least from what I've heard.

Archived