York Stadium Photos

Jarrek

Well, it's definitely sitting empty. I wonder where she got the idea it's a stadium?

It looks like it wouldn't have been a half-bad place for a team like the Lynx, if they hadn't taken away the stands. It must have had a few thousand capacity back in the seventies for the old NSL, even if they played their larger games in better facilities.

Where is this located? I'd love to wander by there some time. I love the old concrete supports sitting there in the middle of nowhere. The ruins of canada's soccer history.

quote:Originally posted by Glenn

Where is this located?

Here we go again. [<ahttp://www.thevoyageurs.org/uploads/emoticons/default_tongue.png' alt=':P'>] We discussed this last month, in this thread. Here is a Google satellite image, from which you can get a map.

quote:Originally posted by Glenn

Well, it's definitely sitting empty. I wonder where she got the idea it's a stadium?

As I posted in that thread:

quote:Originally posted by DJT

she may have been misled by the fact that the site is still sometimes referred to by its original name. There might even be a sign there calling it that, if I remember correctly. My MapArt map book labels it "York Stadium".

I recall the same mistake being made here a few times. I'm not saying she shouldn't have known better.

Oh, right. I think I remember this now. I got it confused with the satellite image of Brockton Stadium from the other week. [:I]

There are a lot of these old parks around the city. Back when the NSL, the Ontario Major League, and several other leagues played in Toronto, there must have been a couple of dozen parks/stadiums downtown. Hard to find images of the ones that are lost, though. Anyone with pcitures of Ulster Stadium, Oakwood Stadium, or Consols Stadium? I've seen a nice shot of Ulster, but I can't remember where.

Ulster was a nice little stadium, and I guess Oakwood was too, in its day (I've never seen a decent picture, though). Back in the forties, Oakwood even had a covered stand. Apparently it was closed in 1951 after repeated fines for motor racing without a license. I know the cars ran on a wooden track, but I'm not sure whether soccer was still being played there at the time.

Archived