UEFA CL 1st Knockout Round, 2nd Leg [R]

argh1

How can anybody hate hate this guy? With all the stale personalities in sport, he is a breath of fresh air.

Jose Mourinho has vowed to continue to speak his mind despite being criticised for his comments before and after the UEFA Champions League tie with Barcelona.

The Chelsea boss has become somewhat of a hate-figure outside of Stamford Bridge but Mourinho has insisted he will not change his style.

He did, however, aim a scathing attack at his critics, claiming the bad press was nothing but jealousy.

"I've been called arrogant, vain and over-bearing, they've called me everything," Mourinho said in The Mirror.

"They can continue to do so, but I will never change and will always continue to call a spade a spade.

"Jealousy is the weapon of the incompetent and frustrated.

"It all makes me rewind the cassette of my life and remind me who I was, how I did it, where I got to, what I have achieved for me and my people and how many times I made the good Portuguese smile.

"In these two weeks during which we played Barcelona, I've been able to discover the 'creepy-crawlies' who have been hiding and I say to them: 'I am Portuguese, a true Portuguese."

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Manuel

How can anybody hate hate this guy? With all the stale personalities in sport, he is a breath of fresh air.

Please! He could still be a breath of fresh-air and do things like, say, shake the opposing manager's hand after each match.

Jose is like school in July: no class. [:P]

You may think so, I disagree. But for the second year in a row, he has just won the best coach in the world from IFFHS (International Federation of Football History and Statistics), and this award is based on results and not popularity. So for a guy with no class, he's doing pretty good.

You may think so, I disagree. But for the second year in a row, he has just won the best coach in the world from IFFHS (International Federation of Football History and Statistics), and this award is based on results and not popularity. So for a guy with no class, he's doing pretty good.

I don't pay attention to awards for the same reason I don't pay attention to figure skating.

But anyway, nobody is disputing that he's a good manager. He's just a piss-poor loser!

See, you got it all wrong. He's not a loser. He's a winner. That's all he ever does is win.

*eyeroll* You know what I mean. He's a swiss banker WHEN he loses! An utter Ethan! And, yes, he does lose sometimes. No matter how much he *pretended* to be happy when Gallas scored that winner v Tottenham last weekend, or when Chelsea beat mightly West Brom Albion the weekend before, his whole year was essentially ruined just last week in Barcelona.

Pity innit? :D

Guest Jeffery S.

I'll bet you would love him to coach which ever team you cheer for, unless your team is Barca.

He did coach at Barça, we got to know him before any of you latecomers. Robson brought him with him from Sporting, and since Bobby never learned a word of decent Spanish (he used to refer to "Lewees Enri-kays" (Luis Enrique), adding the plural for good measure), and Mourinho would calmly do the translating for him. This is why he is called "the translator" (el traductor) here, that drives him nuts.

And he stayed on with Van Gaal, think that was for a year. But there is nothing particularly likeable about him, I have seen hard and soft coaches, big mouths and silent types, some know their game and win over a long period, others are good for a few years until their ideas become stale. And Mourinho was a god-awful human then, and is not at all endearing now. Seriously, I recall the press shaking their collective head at his sheer idiocy, so out of place beside a gentleman like Robson (you understand this means he was an assistant coach when Ronaldo was here, that amazing year, and won the Cup Winner's with us then?).

Just the other day Robson himself wrote an article, think it was in the Daily Mail, that very respectfully suggested that he had to change his ways, that his manner was opposed to an attitude of fair play. That he had to learn to let up and be a bit more gracious. Last year UEFA rightly charged him with bringing the game into disrepute, and I think he is still doing so with his manner.

Which does not take much away from his technical knowledge as a coach. But it will definitely take a lot away from him when Chelsea dumps him for failing in Europe after next season and he can't find his way to a similarly successful team, when he falls back in the mediocre phase that almost all coaches will experience anyways. Only without the chance of being hired by a truly great side with a history, as this posing as a maverick and alienating everyone else closes tons of doors for him, there are many strong clubs out there now who would never risk him. He'll be the favourite of the freak clubs and moneyed outsiders and frustrated losing clubs with cash to spare, and I seriously doubt he'll be any more successful than he was at Oporto a few years ago ever again.

I am sure he will never win a European trophy with Chelsea, his playing style is too timid, and hand-tied and one-dimensional, and it relies so heavily on the players fulfilling orders that it kills their creativity and verve; a team like that cannot win a top competition unless the draw is extremely lucky and they come up against an equally mediocre team .

I'll bet you would love him to coach which ever team you cheer for, unless your team is Barca.

Right, but I would still want him to show class when he loses. For example, even at the peak of the Arsenal v Man United rivalry, Arsene and Fergie always shook hands at the end of a match. And Jose, as successful as he's been in the last couple of years, still is not in the league of Fergie or Arsene. [8)]

Look guys, the public and private personas are different. Sir Alex and Jose might duke it out on the papers but they share a glass (or a bottle?) of wine after a game. Is Mourinho rough around the edges? Yup. Does he make the game more exciting? Yup. Does he arouse passions? Yup.

He's realized the media circus portion of the game is a strategic part of the psychological preparation. It worked for him in Porto and he'll continue to use it. Good on him.

If you think theatrics and gamesmanship is all part of the game and you watched his Porto team against Celtic in the UEFA Cup final three years ago, where they spent 45 minutes rolling around the field and 45 minutes trying to get the ref to card somebody, then you'll like Mourinho.

But if you believe in getting back on your feet and getting on with the job with courage and dignity and think a manager's place is not in front of the camera playing the clown and trying to convince anyone who'll listen that he is the true star of the show, then you'll hate him.

Great Jose Mourinho![^]

quote:Originally posted by canso

If you think theatrics and gamesmanship is all part of the game and you watched his Porto team against Celtic in the UEFA Cup final three years ago, where they spent 45 minutes rolling around the field and 45 minutes trying to get the ref to card somebody, then you'll like Mourinho.

But if you believe in getting back on your feet and getting on with the job with courage and dignity and think a manager's place is not in front of the camera playing the clown and trying to convince anyone who'll listen that he is the true star of the show, then you'll hate him.

Great Jose Mourinho![^]

So what do you think of Le Guen taking over Rangers ?

Great Jose Mourinho![^]

If I remember correctly, Celtic players were just as happy going in for hard challenges and creating the environment for Porto players to play the ref.

Hard tacklers are appreciated in Scotland. Divers and whiners are not.

[:P][^][xx(]St. Paddy's tribute to Celts everywhere![^][:P][xx(]

Paul LeGuen keeps his head down and gets on with it.

I'm really trying not to be racist, I don't like Neil Warnock for the same reasons I don't like Jose.

Sorry Jeffrey, I think you would be the latecomer, he was in Portugal before Barca, and lots of people knew who he was then, my self, and probably River City included.

Now about your rant on Mourihno. I think you are disillusioned, one, if you think Chelsea will fire him for not winning in Europe next year, and two, if you think he won’t be able to find his way to a similarly successful team.

So, you actually think that after coaching his teams to 4 championships (5 if you take next year into account, which I’m sure they will win again) in the last 5 years, he won’t be able to find a job with a truly great side with a history, just because he didn’t win the Champions league? He has shown that he can win with money, and win without it. Teams would be lining up at his feet if Chelsea were to let him go. In fact I think teams would be willing to put up with whatever comes with Mourihno, because with the sideshow comes trophies, and Championships. Let’s see, Inter have been rumored, so have AC Milan, and Real Madrid. Ask Manchester United fans if they wouldn’t mind having Mourihno replace Ferguson. Um, are there any bigger clubs in the world? Plus, for all the crap he takes in the press, you will never hear a player, current or past, talk bad about the guy. In fact they all have great things to say about him. He does what he does to make his teams win.

Oh, and as far Fergie and Arsene are concerned, let’s see. Mourihno beat Fergie with Porto who cost 10% of what Man U cost, and he beat him with a Chelsea squad that cost 50% more than Manu U. As for Arsene, how many Champions leagues has he won? How many years has he been trying?

Mourihno is going to be around for a while, and he will continue to win. You may not like his style, his tactics, or his personality, but he will win.

And Jeffrey, he will not “fall back in the mediocre phase that almost all coaches will experience”, because he is “The Special One”.

Oh, and as far Fergie and Arsene are concerned, let’s see. Mourihno beat Fergie with Porto who cost 10% of what Man U cost, and he beat him with a Chelsea squad that cost 50% more than Manu U. As for Arsene, how many Champions leagues has he won? How many years has he been trying?

Arsene and Fergie both built their teams from scratch and won many many trophies soon after their arrival. Chelsea were already great before Jose entered the frey. They made CL semis and second in EPL the year before he arrived.

Don't try to tell me that Porto is this small team. They're generally favorites to win the Portuguese league and automatic entry to the CL every fricking season! They're also a G14 club. You make the CL 100 years in-a-row, you're gonna win it eventually especially if you get easy draws like Porto did when they won. I don't judge managers that much based on CL success simply because the way the tournament is structured. Is Rafa Benitez suddenly a crap manager because he can't beat Benfica who has 20% of Liverpool's revenue? Or is he the greatest manager ever for coaching one of the weakest on-paper squads to a CL trophy last season?

Again, I think Jose is a very good manager. But I'll put him at Arsene and Fergie's level AFTER he takes a team like, say, Spurs to greatness. Or Portugal to a World cup/Euro Cup triumph.

Give me a break. So a Semi Finals and second place finish makes them great? How can you call ateam that hadn't won a championshp in 50 years great. You can call them great now, after winning back to back. And before Morihno took over Poro, they were on a bit of a dry spell and hadn't won in three years, and when he left they lost.

Also forgot to say that I think Benitez is a good coach, very similar to Jose, in that both didn't have succesfull playing careers, both worked thier way to the top, and both have won the Uefa, and Champions league. Now all Benitez needs to do is win the Premiership, which won't happen as long as Jose is in the Premiership.

Give me a break. So a Semi Finals and second place finish makes them great? How can you call ateam that hadn't won a championshp in 50 years great.

The club hadn't won in 50 years. The team (Chelsea 2003/4) was largely playing together for the first-year. Chelsea would've won in 2004/5 with just about anybody as their manager (altho maybe not as easily as they did).

quote:

You can call them great now, after winning back to back. And before Morihno took over Poro, they were on a bit of a dry spell and hadn't won in three years, and when he left they lost.

Cuz they lost Deco, plus others.

Guest Jeffery S.

I am truly surprised to discover that a young assistant coach at Sporting under Robson was noticed by all you Benfica and Porto fans. At least I got to watch him weekly at Barça, and I do remember how the press laughed at him, he was so big-headed then just because he was able to do a written report on a Liga rival and Robson didn't have a clue what was happening around him.

It is true that Mourinho took a Chelsea that had already been taken up from mediocrity to quality, he made the last step. But take his signings and put them beside Ranieri's (total contrast of character, that funny, loose Roman way about Claudio that made you laugh too) and you'll see that he has not done better at all. Indeed the heart of the team is previous to Mourinho, and his additions have been up and down in quality. It is also true that he took Porto at a time when the main rival in Portugal was towards the end of its longest period without a title or cup ever. Indeed the long-awaited Taça that Aguiar won under Camacho with Benfica was against that team, was it not?

Final comment on Benítez. I think Mourinho is a better coach. I told Liverpool fans -and I am one in fact- that they would get results but they'd be bored. Generally Rafa has a boring style, though they were lucky to win a very exciting final last year, a game that was quite different from the way they normally play. Benítez was always in a low-scoring mode with tough defence and a big squad to rotate at Valencia, and like with them he has few real stars. Just solid players he gets decent results from. But they have a way to go still, and especially need to stop signing average quality filler and sign some stars, some team leaders, who will really move the club up a step. Don't think Rafa will ever get there frankly in the league, though that Champions was an unexpected gift.

Hard tacklers are appreciated in Scotland. Divers and whiners are not.

Soccer artists who can dribble, work the ball upfield and beat guys cleanly one on one are appreciated in Portugal and Brasil. Guys who are too slow or lack the skill to properly tackle and so resort to a physical style are not.

The diving comes as a means of self protection.

[:P][^][xx(]St. Paddy's tribute to Celts everywhere![^][:P][xx(]

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Arsene and Fergie both built their teams from scratch and won many many trophies soon after their arrival.

Holy crap! I didn't realize Arsene and Sir Alex never made a transfer. Did they also bottle feed them as infants?

Don't try to tell me that Porto is this small team. They're generally favorites to win the Portuguese league and automatic entry to the CL every fricking season! They're also a G14 club. You make the CL 100 years in-a-row, you're gonna win it eventually especially if you get easy draws like Porto did when they won.

As a Porto fan, thanks for thinking that we are one of the big boys. But once you stop smoking the ganja, can you tell me when was the last time Porto made a big signing? We can't compete agaisnt Man U, AC Milan and the rest on the transfer market. Porto's strategy is to recruit cheap imports from Brasil, develop them (Deco and Maniche) and sell them once they've established themselves. Why? Because we're not one of the big boys.

Again, I think Jose is a very good manager.

Why are we arguing then?

PS: One more thing on Mourinho - I'm the first to admit that his transfers and the money he's spent on them haven't been the best. But the reason he chose his transfers were to bring in players to suit his prefered system of play. Not the most exciting, but effective, as they won the EPL. As for the amount of money he spent, there is a sneaking suspicion that (with the Porto players anyway), that was part of the arrangement for Porto to allow Mourinho to go. You can have our coach and some players but you're going to pay inflated prices for the players as compensation.

And prior to him going to Barcelona, he had made himself a bit of a reputation so people were indeed aware of him. He didn't go from 'translator' at Barça to coach first team football without the football establishment monitoring his progress. As a translator with Robson, he not only translated the words, but conveyed the ideas and added his own thoughts as well. That's why Robson took him to Barcelona. He was never 'just a translator'.

Archived