Future of the Toronto Lynxx

Here is an interesting topic I figure I would bring up. Now that it looks like Toronto will be getting an MLS team in 2007, then now what happens with the Toronto Lynxx? Are they going to fold or going to be sold to someone? Will they relocate to another city?

What would be a good city for the Lynxx to go to??

I agree. I think Hartell should seriously, when all is said and done at the end of the day, either sell or relocate the team. Personally I would love to see the teamr relocate to Winnipeg, but I dont think that is going to happen. Personally I think Winnipeg would support a USL division 1 team. Winnipeg was always near the top of attendance with regards to the CSL. So I think Winnipegers would be out in support. I know I would buy season tickets.

i'm sure you guys deserve a team, but hopefully, not the same owners.

i think as stubborn as the Hartrells can be, they think they can actually draw a strong following playing out of the same venue as the MLS team??? i think Goof-Man with his gay buddies, will lend their support, he loves the Lynx, LOL!!!!

quote:Originally posted by Franky

i'm sure you guys deserve a team, but hopefully, not the same owners.

i think as stubborn as the Hartrells can be, they think they can actually draw a strong following playing out of the same venue as the MLS team??? i think Goof-Man with his gay buddies, will lend their support, he loves the Lynx, LOL!!!!

No frankopoop, me and my gay buddies will be sitting right next to you while we watch the class of the MLS- The Kansas City Wiz (talk about a gay culture reference) come to pogey park. We might even give you a reach around if you're good and have a scarf on.

What!!! you would rather support the dreaded MLS than a woeful Lynx team.

well....at least you'll be sitting next to me, heck, lets hold hands if it tickles you silly [:I], heeheehee. Also, i can wrap my lovely matching scarf around your neck while we gaze at the beautiful stadia surrounding us and the thong, i mean strong support behind us, uhh, i mean all around us and those young lads running around in those tight shorts, i mean, ahhh, just enjoy the fncking game.

well....at least you'll be sitting next to me, heck, lets hold hands if it tickles you silly [:I], heeheehee. Also, i can wrap my lovely matching scarf around your neck while we gaze at the beautiful stadia surrounding us and the thong, i mean strong support behind us, uhh, i mean all around us and those young lads running around in those tight shorts, i mean, ahhh, just enjoy the fncking game.

quote:Originally posted by Franky

Franky, careful man. You'll be confirming suspicions if you're not careful!

[:0]

I'm happy to see this topic raised, because I haven't read any discussions on it before. I've been thinking about what Lynx supporters would do when MLS come into Toronto. All I've read from the Toronto fans are posts expressing excitement for the new team. I've wondered if there are people who feel the loyalty to the Lynx. Certainly in other countries, England for example, small perinial lower div clubs get some support in places like Manchester and area, London, and Liverpool. Now there are regional, and historical reasons that are important in these cases no doubt. Which aren't apparent in Toronto's case. I guess my question to Lynx fans is how do you view the club now? Would you still support it? Would anyone be loyal to that club and not switch to the new Toronto team? Do you see it as a soccer evolution?

The U-Sector are all jumping ship to the MLS. Although we have stated that we will show up to support the Lynx during an important game. Maybe even make a roadtrip to the scum of all scums Rochester or Crotchester as we like to call it. I know that switching sides is the worst thing a fan can do and shall forever be labled a traitor and hunted down. This situation is different. If the Lynx were in the MLS and another team was formed in Toronto with a brighter outlook and we juped ship then I would personally go out of my way to "hunt" down the traitors. Or if the USL /MLS had a promotion system and a toronto team started out in the bottom of the bottom and worked its way up to the top and then we switched over. That would be unacceptable. This is much much different.

mcaout, maybe just to add to Polish_LYNX_Fan.

The Lynx organization had lost all respect from their fans. They never TRULY strived to put a winner on the field. Any player that showed any potential for success during their tenure with the club; SOLD, TRANSFERRED, or left to play with other Hack players such as Brian Ashton. The list is endless from its inaugural season, when they had players such as DeRosario, Stalteri, Onstad, then they all left. then over the years, players like Pozniak, Reda, Mirzha's twin Brother (brain cramp - forget his name???), basically, they would be left to promote their talent elsewhere. other teams, namely the limpAct and los whinos, took guys away to their pasture, such as Tilley, Zagar, Kojic and vincello, just to name a few.

players like Berdusco, Carter, all past up a chance to play for the mighty Olympians in the CNSL.

Now going back to the onwers themselves, the Hartrells, mainly Nicole (from inside sources) was very UNCOUTH with certain day to day situ.

I spoke to one of the former (two) partners with the Hartrells, from their inaugural season. take your pick, anyways, the once disenchanted owner said that Nicole was an instigator and a very vulgar person. the future direction of the club was in disarray, therefore, both partners pulled out, end of story.

If the organization offered more to their fans than just school days, kids day, half-time goofy shows, lil tini-bopper dancers and throwing donuts into the crowd, then maybe, some support would remain and both clubs would be supported, probably not as much as MLS but enough to get by.

Hope that clears up the loyalty aspect.

Thanks Polish LYNX fan and Franky. I did not want to accuse those T.O. fans talking up the MLS of being traitors, it just seemed like the real heart of the support was leaving. But it was good to hear reasons why and that for important games you'll be there. I certaintly can't say what I would do, I wish Regina had a semi or fully professional team. To have two pick from would be a welcome problem for me.

Just another thought though. I know many have talked of pro and con a canadian league or some regional semi-pro type construct, lots and lots of posts. Just thinking if say in 20-30 years some multi level league were possible, then any people who stuck by the Lynx, for whatever reason, might still have a team that could be confederated and by that time, surly the major teams of MLS class that'll be in T.O. Van C, Mtl, whereever else might be the basis. Which would make for a instant rivalry, with history, big versus small and so forth. Now this is a flight of pure fancy no doubt, but I really think having smaller community teams or localized teams, at highish level will be neccesary filler in a Canadian league, and to just lose the Lynx rather than say try to re-tool or consolidate them, might not be good for soccer in this country down the road.

Now I don't know a whole lot about the Toronto scene or what everyone (I know some thinks) about Canadian leagues. Just trying to get a sense of if this can be a rivalry someday. If instead of disbanding keep clubs alive no matter what so that they can rise again if the time is right. Any Thoughts?

i wish more canadian cities and towns formed a league of their own and didn't have to rely on just the USL. but having the USL can serve for extra competition.

places like; Victoria, I wish Edmonton had their act together, so to, Calgary, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, thats six to form the Western Division. From out east, Ottawa, Hamilton, London, Kitchener, Quebec City, Halifax that can form the Eastern Division.

Huhhh, we can always dream of electric sheep.

i know that one day Vancouver will get an MLS franchise, its just a matter of time and patience. For Mont-Royal, well, unless joey packs in his balls, thats the only chance they would have in getting in because Portland and Rochester would be viable candidates in the future MLS. i am sure, MLS has Phily as potential client, as well.

as bad as they are I they ( Hartrells) could make it work in a smaller city, where the community gets behind the team. In Toronto as big as the market is there are sooo many others things to do, during the USL season. A smaller city where the community would rally behind a team could be perfect.

To be fair to the Hartrells, there was no way they were ever going to keep the likes of De Rosario, Stalteri & Hutchinson in the A-league. Those guys are just too good & were going to demand a higher salary elsewhere. I think what was more galling was stuff like shipping players off to rivals in Montreal to help them in their playoff run while we went backwards. When you are a perennial farm team for another team in the same league & you run everything else in an amateur way (and there's not enough bandwidth on the board to go into every example), you are sending out a message that you just are not seriously interested in competing.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

To be fair to the Hartrells, there was no way they were ever going to keep the likes of De Rosario, Stalteri & Hutchinson in the A-league. Those guys are just too good & were going to demand a higher salary elsewhere. I think what was more galling was stuff like shipping players off to rivals in Montreal to help them in their playoff run while we went backwards. When you are a perennial farm team for another team in the same league & you run everything else in an amateur way (and there's not enough bandwidth on the board to go into every example), you are sending out a message that you just are not seriously interested in competing.

Yes, by not trying to put out a respectable product the Hartrells failed to respect the team, and by extension, failed to respect soccer fans in this city. People on these boards love to say how Toronto fans are disloyal to the Lynx but refuse to acknowledge the fact that the people here are sick of having their intelligence insulted by the Lynx (see Gian-luca's brief summary above.) Soccer is a sacred game to alot of people, and with MLSE proposing to try and promote soccer properly (a member of MLSE's management actually took the time to meet informally with some Toronto fans last week to listen to our concerns) why wouldn't Toronto fans grasp this opportunity?

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

as bad as they are I they ( Hartrells) could make it work in a smaller city, where the community gets behind the team. In Toronto as big as the market is there are sooo many others things to do, during the USL season. A smaller city where the community would rally behind a team could be perfect.

Change Hartwell with MLSE and USL with MLS...the end result is the same.

Again thanks for the input, I have a better understanding of the soccer community in Toronto. Surly as Real Gooner and Gian-Luca out above, any serious soccer fan would become uninterested in a team that doesn't respect the fans or the sport. It is clear that this experience must drive those in the U Section or other groups to work as close as possible with the MLSE people to get the product right of the bat. Even if you can't work with these people, you can act as an important lobby group and raise holy hell if something goes astray.

In other forums, some have questioned the ultra or such group's mentality and purpose, and if such a style of support is neccesary. One possitive side of organized supporters groups is to act as lobbists at matches and between.

it is refreshing to see that someone can fully understand the dilema here in Toronto.

I don't expect miracles or to witness a championship year in the first or second season a la Toronto Rock. but, what i do not foresee is, MLSE selling off players, at will, good talent to 2nd or 3rd division scandanavian clubs for a couple of measley dollars. i definitely could see and understand, if a player shows the potential to play for a top euro team in the upper echelon of clubs, then it makes more sense. At the same time, MLSE will make every effort to bring in foreign players (hopefully, away from the over the hill players, such as the NASL did) that will enable the club to develop talent accordingly and sell ducats to parts of the ethnic/traditional soccer communities existing here, without the typical stereotype.

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

I am inclined to agree with this. Most of the Hartrell's shortcommings can be resolved in a smaller community. For example you wouldn't have to fight to get headlines and as a result they wouldn't have the recognition and respect problems that they have in a place like TO. Hence when it comes to the business side of things, you would have more people comming to you rather than having to run around with hat in hand. Also, it would likely be easier to deal with people in places like city hall when you need something with repect to facilities and so forth. I cant speak for Nicole but Bruno can be personable at times. In a place like London Ontario, I think that the Lynx could make a go of it.

In certain locations( eg.: London, Kitchener/Waterloo), if the owner is outside selling tickets and inside peddling hot dogs it can be viewed favourably. Specifically, your a guy who is willing to roll up your sleeves to get things done. But in a place like Toronto, these traits come accross as bush league. Because everyone knows that you would never see Larry Tannebaum and Ted Rogers flipping burgers and selling tickets.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I am inclined to agree with this. Most of the Hartrell's shortcommings can be resolved in a smaller community. For example you wouldn't have to fight to get headlines and as a result they wouldn't have the recognition and respect problems that they have in a place like TO. Hence when it comes to the business side of things, you would have more people comming to you rather than having to run around with hat in hand. Also, it would likely be easier to deal with people in places like city hall when you need something with repect to facilities and so forth. I cant speak for Nicole but Bruno can be personable at times. In a place like London Ontario, I think that the Lynx could make a go of it.

In certain locations( eg.: London, Kitchener/Waterloo), if the owner is outside selling tickets and inside peddling hot dogs it can be viewed favourably. Specifically, your a guy who is willing to roll up your sleeves to get things done. But in a place like Toronto, these traits come accross as bush league. Because everyone knows that you would never see Larry Tannebaum and Ted Rogers flipping burgers and selling tickets.

Fighting for headlines..the Lynx have survived no headlines for the last 10 years and they'll survive the 2 year MLS trip to Toronto.

Archived