Whitecaps' Goalie Gaff?

The Vancouver Sun recently. and the Province this week, say that Mike Franks is out as the Caps' keeper. Apparently this is because he was unable to attend morning practices during the week as he had a full time job which he could not miss. Caps' staff were not willing to let it pass, so the two have agreed to part ways.

What a gaff! Part time players need jobs to pay the bills, and the Caps may have managed to lose a very good, young keeper for no good reason. Why these guys could not do an evening or weekend practice is beyond me. If the papers are correct, then I've never heard of anything so dumb!

Cheers!

A full time job that inhibits a player's general availability would play havoc during the season too, especially for road trips. I know of other parttime players including keepers who have stopped playing for or declined to play for the Whitecaps and before them, the 86ers because it interferred too much with their 'regular' jobs one way or another. This will always be a problem for the club until such time as they are able to fill their roster with adequately paid fulltime professional players and I suspect it will be a while before that happens.

From The Globe and Mail which casts a somewhat different light on the story:

"VANCOUVER -- The Vancouver Whitecaps may have a new goalkeeper from England in their lineup when they launch the first Whitecaps Nations Cup in July involving teams from China, India and Wales.

The Whitecaps auditioned Newcastle United veteran Tony Caig recently with the knowledge the 31-year-old wants to relocate his family to North America.

"A lot will happen over the next month and a half," Whitecaps coach Bob Lilly said yesterday in discussing possible roster changes. "He's the third 'keeper in Newcastle [and] is certainly an option for us."

It's unlikely goalkeeper Mike Franks will return to the Whitecaps because of work commitments, forcing Vancouver to look for depth at the position. Vancouver has not yet had contract negotiations with Caig's agent."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060302.WHITECAPS02/TPStory/Sports

I am sure there are "'keepers enough out there" but unless the club can pay a living wage they will be faced with chosing between a young, unproven up-and-comer willing to work for minimum wage in the hope that he'll break into the big time or get an opportunity with a European team, or a retired old pro like Caig who is looking to put his feet up in beautiful British Columbia.

Another reason the club needs a larger venue which means potential for more paying spectators plus additional revenue streams.

Guest Jeffery S.

For the last few months we have heard that Franks was perhaps not going to continue, though I thought Lilley would be happy to go with Wicks and Srdjan for this year, that he was happy with both.

I will be disappointed if they sign this guy, as it demonstrates that over and over again they refuse to work with their younger guys and give them the confidence they need (as with Corrazza), instead signing outside. The model of the club is erroneous in this sense, as it undermines the whole idea of having a stronger youth system. If your younger players see they'll never get a chance, even into their early 20s, the best thing they can do is leave, and the club cannot claim to be building players from youth up if they just sign veterans and play them to death.

Considering the White Caps ladies all play for free, this Franks guy is a *****... sheeez wanting to make a living.

He should feel privileged to play for minimum wage. The Whitecaps could add another SYL youth team and at least bump him up to 10 bucks an hour.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by sounderfan

Anyone know who Franks works for?

I talked with Seattle Sounders GM Adrian Hanauer, asking directly if Seattle have had discussions with Franks. He gave me a "No comment."

http://soundercentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4334

Note: this comes about as Preston Burpo has signed with Chivas USA, thus rendering Seattle "keeperless."

http://soundercentral.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=204

quote:Originally posted by sounderfan

Anyone know who Franks works for?

I talked with Seattle Sounders GM Adrian Hanauer, asking directly if Seattle have had discussions with Franks. He gave me a "No comment."

http://soundercentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4334

Note: this comes about as Preston Burpo has signed with Chivas USA, thus rendering Seattle "keeperless."

http://soundercentral.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=204

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I wouldn't expect any club GM to be willing to comment on any ongoing contract negotiations one way or the other.

If they hadn't talked with him or weere not planning to...then I would have gotten just a "no."

However, talking to him and signing him are way different things.

If I was a club GM and you asked me the same inane question I too would have simply responded with a 'no comment' and thought to myself, 'none of your business either way, what an idiotic question to ask'.

Well, guess what. He may have thought that.

However, since I have worked with Hanauer on club-supporters relations, and since he is always gracious enough to answer my emails, and since he prefaced his email with a "I can't tell you everything right now," I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's told me as much as I/we fans need to know: He's working on getting us the best players he can.

But "none of your business," no. That has never been a part of our communications with each other. He understands supporters want a little something, even cloaked, to talk about.

What's gotten your panties into such a wad?

It's not my panties that are in a knot I can assure you. And you should not be taking advantage of a personal relationship to obtain information that you promptly post on an internet forum. 'No comment,' good for him, he was at least courteous in the face of an improper question.

It's not my panties that are in a knot I can assure you. And you should not be taking advantage of a personal relationship to obtain information that you promptly post on an internet forum. 'No comment,' good for him, he was at least courteous in the face of an improper question.

Duh.

I run a website.

Duh.

He knows that.

Duh.

That's part of why his answers were cloaked.

Duh.

My email to him was on behalf of fans & for the site. We do a Q & A like that often during the season.

Move along, Rico.

Archived