Will Johnson to Heerenveen

SamIAm

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Ajax, PSV, PSG, Marseille, Porto, West Ham.

Pretty well every 2nd level league in Europe, and especially the Dutch, French, Danes, Portugal. Plus Brazil and Argentina. Clubs from these nations live off transfer fees, it is what motivates player development, it helps justify the youth program, which in turn is kept competitive as strong, promising players are brought in early, besides meaning that you learn the team playing style from your teen years (look at Cesc Fabregas at Arsenal and you are looking at Barça youth playing style, matured with English pace) and players can be fit into the senior system without having to relearn tactics.

The MLS system is not really developing players, it is simply taking from a wide American pool including NCAA and lower level pros who are not ready to cross the Atlantic, and gradually finding a place for some of them. Very few players have any real allegiance to their teams, and if they do, as in the case of Will Johnson (Fire Reserves, family from the region), we see it is often not at all reciprocated by the club.

The text:

Canadese aanvaller op proef bij Heerenveen

07 maart 2006

Heerenveen heeft deze week de Canadese aanvaller Will Johnson op proef. De 19-jarige Johnson speelde eerder voor het Amerikaanse Chicago Fire en het Engelse Blackburn Rovers. Johnson is Canadees international.

Will Johnson speelde éénmaal, als invaller in een duel tegen Luxemburg, voor Canada en was vorige zomer actief op het jeugd-WK in ons land. Heerenveen kwam Johnson via Michael Bradley op het spoor. Bradley kent de aanvaller uit de tijd dat hij in de Amerikaanse MLS speelde.

,,Volgens Bradley is Johnson een prima voetballer,’’ vertelt Heerenveen-directeur Yme Kuiper. ,,Aangezien we met Bradley goede ervaringen hebben wilden we Johnson, die graag in Europa wil spelen, wel een kans bieden. De bal ligt bij hem. Hij moet aantonen het niveau van Heerenveen aan te kunnen.’’

Will Johnson blijft in ieder geval een week in Heerenveen. Hij traint afwisselend met het beloftenteam en de selectie van Gertjan Verbeek mee ,,Maar misschien blijft hij ook wel wat langer. Het hangt af van wat hij laat zien,’’ aldus Yme Kuiper.

It sounds like the club would definitely be willing to keep him around longer, if he shows promise in the next week. It also mentions that he will spend time with both the junior side and the full squad in training.

There is a factual error in the first paragraph, stating the Johnson has played once for Canada, as a substitute against Luxembourg, whereas he has actually appeared 3 times, if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps the author simply googled the wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Johnson) which doesn't mention the recent appearances.

Here's another article:

Heerenveen test Canadese spits

sc Heerenveen is in zijn jacht op een nieuwe spits voorlopig uitgekomen bij Will Johnson. De negentienjarige Canadees van Chicago Fire loopt stage in Friesland. Johnson, die ook bij Blackburn Rovers op proef was, speelde vorig jaar zomer in Nederland op het WK jeugd. Hij heeft ook al drie interlands achter zijn naam staan met het 'grote' Canada.

Als Johnson een contract krijgt bij Heerenveen is hij de tweede speler die de club dit jaar uit de Amerikaanse Major League Soccer plukt. In januari namen de Friezen middenvelder Michael Bradley over van NY/NJ MetroStars. Heerenveen legde eerder ook al twee aanvallers vast: Mark de Vries (Leicester City) en Age Hains Boersma (VV Sneek).

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think has been posted here yet:

Heerenveen wil Johnson vastleggen

22 maart 2006, 12:54

Door: Robert Kuijpers

Will Johnson kan binnenkort een contractaanbieding verwachten van sc Heerenveen, waar hij momenteel op proef is. Mits zijn salariseisen niet buitensporig hoog zijn, speelt hij komend seizoen in Friesland, zo meldt VI.

Trainer Gertjan Verbeek legt in het voetbalweekblad uit waarom sc Heerenveen verder wil met de Canadees in dienst van Chicago Fire: "Johnson bezit een Brits paspoort en heeft een aantal jaar in Engeland gewoond en gespeeld. Hij heeft de typisch Britse agressie, heeft de Noord-Amerikaanse winnaarsmentaliteit en is ook nog eens technisch behoorlijk onderlegd", meent Verbeek..

Basically it says that, as long as his salary demands are reasonable, expect Will Johnson to be playing in Friesland (that is, in Heerenveen, in the province of Friesland) next season. The trainer explains that Johnson is a good choice because he has a British passport, has lived and played in Britain, has the British aggressiveness as well as the North American winners' mentality (?), and is technically solid.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I don't think has been posted here yet:

Heerenveen wil Johnson vastleggen

22 maart 2006, 12:54

Door: Robert Kuijpers

Will Johnson kan binnenkort een contractaanbieding verwachten van sc Heerenveen, waar hij momenteel op proef is. Mits zijn salariseisen niet buitensporig hoog zijn, speelt hij komend seizoen in Friesland, zo meldt VI.

Trainer Gertjan Verbeek legt in het voetbalweekblad uit waarom sc Heerenveen verder wil met de Canadees in dienst van Chicago Fire: "Johnson bezit een Brits paspoort en heeft een aantal jaar in Engeland gewoond en gespeeld. Hij heeft de typisch Britse agressie, heeft de Noord-Amerikaanse winnaarsmentaliteit en is ook nog eens technisch behoorlijk onderlegd", meent Verbeek..

Basically it says that, as long as his salary demands are reasonable, expect Will Johnson to be playing in Friesland (that is, in Heerenveen, in the province of Friesland) next season. The trainer explains that Johnson is a good choice because he has a British passport, has lived and played in Britain, has the British aggressiveness as well as the North American winners' mentality (?), and is technically solid.

Just thought I'd add this in...SC Heerenveen is often referred to to simply as Friesland. I was in Rotterdam last spring and watched Feyenoord play them, and they were mostly referred to by the fans as Friesland. Even their uniforms are essentially a copy of the flag of Friesland. Kind of comparable to the Saskatchewan Roughriders here in Canada.

Picture of Friesland flag:

http://www.geographic.org/flags/new1/friesland_flags.html

Picture of club uniforms:

gsp.ro

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Saviola7

hereveen <--- confirmed

Confirmed?

Any idea anyone what any of that reads? My english is piss poor so as can be imagined Dutch is non existant...

I'm going to guess he isn't to suit up until the new season or something along those lines. Great news all the same (I guess).

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Confirmed?

Any idea anyone what any of that reads? My english is piss poor so as can be imagined Dutch is non existant...

I'm going to guess he isn't to suit up until the new season or something along those lines. Great news all the same (I guess).

The article you are referncing is from 3 weeks ago, and it consisted of an announcement that Will Johnson was undergoing a 1-week trial with Heereveen. It gave a little background about him (U-20 player at the recent YWC, Chicago Fire, etc.), but not much else.

The more recent news (March 22nd) is that he is expected to sign a contract for next season.

quote:Originally posted by Jason

Just thought I'd add this in...SC Heerenveen is often referred to to simply as Friesland. I was in Rotterdam last spring and watched Feyenoord play them, and they were mostly referred to by the fans as Friesland. Even their uniforms are essentially a copy of the flag of Friesland. Kind of comparable to the Saskatchewan Roughriders here in Canada.

Picture of Friesland flag:

http://www.geographic.org/flags/new1/friesland_flags.html

Picture of club uniforms:

gsp.ro

Jason

Those are damn ugly flags/uniforms.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Confirmed?

At the time when I posted that, it wasn't certain whether the rumour was true or not. What I meant when I said confirmed was that at the very least there was some sort of link between Heerenveen and Johnson.

Archived