Toronto stadium pics

Crazy_Yank

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PIZZA PIZZA UNION CITY GROUNDS or I.N.G. UNION CITY PITCH (save your money, hehe).

'Where the union of cultures and communities come together to form a great city'

also, something along the lines of the 'Ballpark' in Arlington where the Tex Rangers call, home on the range. Since we have a Union Station and Unionville, it can separate itself from those places esp. Union station, which is close by.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

why cant we have a roof too? it cant cost THAT much more.

Because this is a stadium produced mainly for government bureaucratic beancounters, most of whom probably don't love soccer at all. One day when I am a billionaire I promise to build an absolute soccer cathedral in Toronto.;)

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Because this is a stadium produced mainly for government bureaucratic beancounters, most of whom probably don't love soccer at all. One day when I am a billionaire I promise to build an absolute soccer cathedral in Toronto.;)

so let me get this right. without the government giving MLSE a free stadium there would be no stadium. but they're to blame when there's no roof to it. And I guess when the team folds it'll be the governments fault cause they built a texas high school stadium instead of a PizzaHut park.

I understand the Skydome has a lovely roof.

at the risk of some members of this forum continuing their rant against any critical analysis over what is clearly a sub-par design, at least in its current incarnation....i stand by my original comment....this design is weak....it needs a roof of some sort.....look at all these other examples of similar sized stadia, with similar price tags....the toronto model is clearly inferior.

not sure why some get so offended over wanting at least mediocrity.

I think a roof is great to have as well, but wont the supports, ie voyageurs/u section/ ultras/ who ever, be in that south end, or at least on an end. Some seem to want a roof, but I'm not sure they'd get to enjoy it because its unlikely to have one on an end.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

at the risk of some members of this forum continuing their rant against any critical analysis over what is clearly a sub-par design, at least in its current incarnation....i stand by my original comment....this design is weak....it needs a roof of some sort.....look at all these other examples of similar sized stadia, with similar price tags....the toronto model is clearly inferior.

not sure why some get so offended over wanting at least mediocrity.

I agree viking. My point is that the stadium is being funded and built by people who just want to get kudo's and rewards from building a stadium. These folks do not appear to have any great vision for soccer and therefore are not motivated make a better stadium. That does give me some concerns long-term regarding team management, but for now we as fans have to grab the opportunity to estblish pro soccer here, even if the people bank-rolling this project may not be motivated by any love for the game at all.

I have heard that the foundations from previous structures (old Exhibition Stadium?) are still in the ground, which is making the installation of new foundations difficult, thereby slowing construction progress.

nope, not the old Exhibition Stade. they are building where the old Hockey Hall of Fame building was.

Also, what is taking longer, is the the old slabs (floor of building) of concrete, i believe, are deeper d/t old building codes, not very difficult to remove if you have the right equipment available.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

That has been known from the start. But in truth, you could say the same thing about a facility that would be built in Canada for any sport other than Hockey. The average guy in canada in your typical ivory tower, corporate suite, or governement office knows only about hockey. And that fine. The important thing is to get a decent utilitarian facility. That is how I have looked at it. Anything else would be bonus.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

But in truth, you could say the same thing about a facility that would be built in Canada for any sport other than Hockey. The average guy in canada in your typical ivory tower, corporate suite, or governement office knows only about hockey.

I have to disagree with that statement. At the time they were built, both Olympic Stadium in Montreal and SkyDome in Toronto represented the state-of-the-art for stadium design and construction. Neither has ever hosted a hockey game.

Our game is well down the pecking order of sports in Canada. There are many more that generate more interest and revenue. Our sport is getting a utilitarian stadium but not all built in Canada for all sports fall into this category.

Archived