Toronto stadium pics

Crazy_Yank

I stole these off of bigsoccer.com. There is already a thread showing pics of the early stages of construction. I'm glad to see that construction has already started. That means nothing short of an act of God can derail the project now. Here is a pic of the design

060221soccerstadium3002rh.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone please explain to me the deal with so many of the newly built soccer specific stadia having the stands "U" shaped i.e. no stand behind one goal???

I know that for Pizza Hut Park(FC Dallas) and Bridgeview(Chicago Fire) they have placed a stage there with concerts in mind.(I personnaly don't like this but I guess they are doing everything they can to make their stadia profitable) But if they're not going to put anything there, why not have the stadium be nicely symmetrical?

If this is indeed the stadium, I think it shows a distinct lack of creativity all around. Certainly a look on this website will show you what can be done in the 20-30000 size arenas. At this point it looks like Taylor Field in Regina but without the pizazzz. brutal.

http://www.footballgroundguide.co.uk/

eg. Huddersfield - 24,500 cap.

eg. Swansea - 20,000 cap.

eg. Derby - 33,000 cap.

eg. Reading - 24,500 cap.

It would be nice if the spectator was addressed in some way here with a basixc amenity like a roof. Maybe that's wishful thinking and might come in the 1st round of expansion.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

I stole these off of bigsoccer.com. There is already a thread showing pics of the early stages of construction. I'm glad to see that construction has already started. That means nothing short of an act of God can derail the project now. Here is a pic of the design

060221soccerstadium3002rh.jpg

Could someone just point out which way is north-south, for a start?

Having a side open does mean that of all the tickets you sell, an overwhelming majority are between on goal line and the other. Important, as technically their value is higher. Still think the stadium is a bit flat, better more as a bowl (and more efficient use of urban space).

I don't think it is bad, but it is rather drab and staid and non-descript. Cookie-cutter you could even say. And hardly any roof at all? Considering that the Whitecaps future stadium is already taking pre-reservations for private boxes, covered and cosy, this seems to completely ignore that option for strengthening the gate and linking it in with corporate interest. Here Kerfoot's vision, to appeal to his peers, shows more foresight, as in the end such details do not take away from how the other 96% of the fans live the game.

Yank - good point

Jeff - agree a little drab, but as opposed to naught, will take

Sean - it is "US" who will make it not boring!

MA - from what I heard (supprising over my incesant chattering) they can only expand to the east (2nd deck) as they are boxed in north and south

Megas - it was said that MLSE have no intention in competing with ontario place, as they and whoever owns the theatre share a good relationship, so don't expect concerts to factor into their design too much

Drew - supprised that Swinecastle is not on your list, for this range of venue it is fantastic (nice steep stands)

quote:Originally posted by BusanBhoy

Princess blvd. runs right behind "OUR' section. That should come into play somehow.

Why? Would you like to be called the Toronto Princesses? That's hardly an intimidating name for the hardcore fans. How about the Princess Gate Crashers?

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

North side is the side with no stands.....

That might help abit with blocking the cold wind coming off the lake from the South, but I still think that MLSE forgot that this is just the latest incarnation of the "stadium by the lake" and that history shows that this will be a fairly cold and windy place. If the pic is legitimate (I find the lack of boxes hard to believe - you would think that MLSE would know better with their experience and great corporate ties), then I guess they are hoping to sell alot of team scarves - and umbrellas!

Here's an example of a 20,000 seat stadium which will be built for around 41 million euros (That's under 60 million Canadian). It will be the new home of Larissa of the Greek first division. As you can see, all seats are covered, stands on all sides, and something like 20 private boxes. Even this is a relatively simple design (Larissa fans are actually quite upset as they were expecting something a little more avant-garde). But it just goes to show that under the proposed budget, you can definitely do better IMO than the design we have seen so far.

7_2.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Especially on those snowy July days.

Even in July there is often a cold breeze coming off the lake that might bother some of the more sensitive fans in shorts/t-shirts (others will like it of course). I'm not saying that this would be the majority, or that they are not being wimps, but there will be some complaints and that is not good for a new team and stadium.

If only the MLS season was confined to July! It is possible that the MLS schedule will always have Toronto play it's first 2-3 and last 2-3 games (excluding possible playoff games) on the road to avoid the coldest temperatures, but rain and strong winds off the lake are possible even during the summer. The lack of a roof and some inclimate weather won't bother the hardcore fans (it might even make some British ex-pats homesick), but it could hurt same-day/walk-up-crowd ticket sales from the general public. A bad weather forecast could mean the difference between selling 10,000 tickets, and 15,000+ tickets. Some casual fans are only going to go during the summer months, and only decide to go the day before based on the weather forecast.

MLSE should understand that any extra expenditure for roofs will pay for itself fairly quickly. It is possible that the design is the way it is because of the need for the winter "tent", but I think they are just being cheap. Wouldn't roofs also improve the atmosphere by trapping sound and making the fans louder like at Anfield?

quote:Originally posted by zacRWE

hey guys, are we 100% sure that this is it...? Im not complaining cause were getting a soccer stadium!

My one question is... where are the private boxes? MLS requires that there be at least 10, no?

We are 100% sure that this is not it. Not quite anyway. There's no private boxes & no hotel attached to the stadium.

I think it will look similar, but this isn't the final design from what I understand.

Archived