Duncan Wilde returns

Free kick

TORONTO LYNX MEDIA RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WILDE RETURNS AS LYNX HEAD COACH FOR 2006

Veteran Lynx Players to Serve as Assistants

MONDAY FEBRUARY 26, 2006 (TORONTO, ON) The Toronto Lynx Soccer Club announced today that Duncan Wilde will return to the helm of the Toronto Lynx Soccer Club for the upcoming 2006 season. Wilde made his head coaching debut with the club in 2004, but took the 2005 season off to focus on building the Toronto Lynx Academy and SYL program. He returns with high hopes for 2006 and brings with him high quality technical support from former Lynx assistant coach Billy Steele.

Under Wilde's leadership, Lynx fans were introduced to favourites Jamie Dodds and Andres Arango while Adrian Serioux blossomed, making his National team debut before joining Millwall FC in the English Championship League. Fans were also treated to Wilde's signature attacking style as the team recorded their second highest goals-for total in their nine year history. A former professional player in the UK with Burnley, Everton and Manchester United reserves, Duncan achieved staff coaching status with the English FA before emigrating to Canada in 1988. He also serves as the Director of the Toronto Lynx Premier Soccer Academy and Toronto Lynx Juniors which play in the SYL.

"I am very excited to return to first team responsibilities" commented Wilde, "Our Junior Academy has made huge strides forward during the past year and it is now a very stable situation. Lynx fans can look forward to some very exciting youngsters coming through the system over the next few years. The time seems right to resume first team duties and I will be doing all I can to prepare the squad for the 2006 season".

The coaching staff will be bolstered by Lynx veterans Theo Zagar and Joe Mattacchione, who will both assume player/assistant coach roles this season, the first in the team’s history. Both players combine solid leadership qualities with athletic excellence and bring a fresh perspective to the coaching ranks. Their knowledge of and playing history the USL First Division are also valuable tools they bring to the position.

Zagar is in his seventh season with the club, and holds virtually all of the Lynx goalkeeping records. He is a three-time Most Valuable Player, and served as team captain in 2002 and 2003, before spending one season in Rochester with the Rhinos. He holds his “B” coaching license. "I am very excited to be back this year with a new responsibility." said Zagar. "It will be a new challenge, but I look forward to working with Duncan and Joe and hope to contribute in any way to make this a successful season."

Mattacchione is also entering his seventh campaign with the club, and has been an integral team leader on and off the field throughout his career. He ranks in the top 5 in most career statistical categories with the club. He earned a degree in Education at the University of Alabama/Birmingham while starring for the Blazers soccer squad. He graduated from the University of Toronto’s teacher’s college prior to the 2004 season. He is thrilled be working with Zagar and Wilde. "I'm looking forward to the opportunity to work with a great coaching staff and I'm anxious to make a positive contribution both on and off the field."

SPORTS CENTRES RETURN AS OFFICIAL LYNX MEDICAL TEAM

The club also announced the return of the Sports Centres, under Dr. Robert Gringmuth, to provide the health care and fitness programs for the Lynx and Lady Lynx teams and the full Super-Y League Lynx Jr's program. Sports Centres has provided the Lynx exceptional health and fitness services since 1997. with their main centre located at the Soccer Centre in Vaughan.

The Lynx kick off their 2006 home season at Centennial Park Stadium on Saturday May 13 versus Rochester at 4:00 PM. The game will be preceded by the Lady Lynx' season opener versus Rochester, at 1:00 PM. This double header will have a "Soccerfest" theme with many festivities and events being planned around the theme. The Samba Squad will lead the way and heat things up with the sounds of their Brazilian drum beat, ever so popular at soccer matches in Brazil.

-30-

Not that the Lynx future plans have ever been clear (besides the fantasy that someone was going to build them a stadium and 30 000 people a game were going to magically appear), but what exactly are their options?

I don't think there's a USL D1 or D2 team in any current MLS city.

Who exactly will go Lynx matches? First comedian: all noon hour school day games (or whatever the hell they call them). Second comedian: those who go now (meaning nobody). Drumroll. But I think most people who go know would rather go to MLS.

Development wise, where do they fit in? Official reserve team for Toronto MLS? If the CPSL is serious, the Lynx will have problems finding half-decent players (unlike all the talent they have now). The CPSL Toronto Olympians had a more talented team than the Lynx the 3 years they existed.

Move to Hamilton? Elsewhere?

Thank God... no more Busby long ball.

Duncan's team was pretty entertaining, although that team was defensively pretty inept. I do know he realized that he underestimated the USL Div 1 and hopefully he'll learn from those mistakes. I don't know how much can actually be done considering the circumstances, but at the very least, the Lynx will get reunited with the art of the pass, and fingers crossed for the return of Darren Baxter.

Of course I understand the big leap. The point I was trying to make is that the Lynx didn't have the players to succeed. I think Jesus Christ coming down from the cross couldn't have helped them last year. As far as being on crack is concerned, being the user that you probaby are (or else you wouldn't have made that reference), I am sure that you could educate all of us on its benefits and side effects.

The LYNX must have known all along that Wilde and Steele would be back. That is why they left their photos and biographies on the website since 2004!

Can you imagine a professional sport organization having a website almost 2 years out of date?

The team will certainly be more exciting to watch and if some of the young ones can be groomed there may be some promise in a year or two.

Wilde and Steele coached the CPSL Oakville Blue Devils last year and continued with the Lynx soccer schools so they were never really out of the organization. Oakville won the CPSL playoffs last year and were first in the Western Division but some results were reversed for an ineligible player during the last week of the season so they finished second.

quote:Originally posted by thunderguy

The team will certainly be more exciting to watch and if some of the young ones can be groomed there may be some promise in a year or two.

Problem with that is , no matter how good they are, MLS will own the soccer scene in Toronto and once again the Lynx will be an afterthought in professional sports.

As for crack, I thought FLA's got some good stuff? Some Tony Montana stuff!?

quote:Originally posted by zacRWE

Problem with that is , no matter how good they are, MLS will own the soccer scene in Toronto and once again the Lynx will be an afterthought in professional sports.

As for crack, I thought FLA's got some good stuff? Some Tony Montana stuff!?

Nah,all that good stuff is gone.....it's been replaced by a lesser quality grade to make it accessible for everyone! As far as the Lynx are concerned, you hit it on the head....if they are not drawing now, how will they fare when MLS is in town? They either have to move, or join the CPSL!

Archived