Jonathan de Guzman interview on SportsNet

Cheeta

I've got about 3 hours sleep and am nursing a buzz so maybe I'm reading things into the interview but I thought it came out really well.

To me it wasn't as much what he said as how he said it. When the topic of playing for Canada/Holland came up, as you knew it would, he was all "Shucks, Geez, I'm Canadian, eh." Charming lad, but he sure seemed to light up with the question. Little more mono-tone talking about Holland's advantages.

Sure can tell he's The Guz's brother.

P.S. SportsNet had a poll on asking who you THINK Jono will play for. Have a vote.

I also thought the interview went well. He is very aware of the his choice, that's forsure. If anything, I also agree with cheeta, Canadian soccer fans can perhaps be a little more optimistic. (He seems really close to Julian, saying they talk 'almost daily')

Good on sportsnet for having the interview, just too bad it couldn't be more in depth (or longer).

As Jonathan said... we could have the two De Guzman's in Canada's midfield! Cross your fingers!

I feel a bit more optimistic after seeing the interview.He mentioned that he'd love to play with his brother.He thought it would be fun to be in the same midfield.He did say however,that it would also be fun to play against him,which to me is more of a long shot unless Deportivo and Feyenord meet in European competition.Canada v Holland wouldn't guarantee either bro would be involved.

Anyways he did say he was proud to be Canadian and that is more than we've heard before.

He also seemed to be quite a bit bigger and stronger in stature than Julian in the few action clips that were shown.

Another point on Jono's looming decision, was that originally he had said that one of the advantages of playing with Holland is how it will help him professionally and with his career in club soccer. But since he has secured his place with Feyenoord till 2010 he doesn't have to worry about getting noticed from international competition as much.

I just hope that as with the rest of us, JDG2 has that love of the underdog and realizes how much difference he could make with Canada. Tough decision he has to make but I think in the end he'll play with his brother. Life's short and that's a big blessing to pass up (bigger for some than a sure place in the world cup).

The February issue of World Soccer Magazine has a feature of Jonathan under its "Talent Scout - Tomorrow's Stars Today" section.

Canadian Teenager Thinking of Going Dutch

Holland Coach Marco Van Basten has already publicly supported Ivory Coast-born Salomon Kalou in his attempt to apply for Dutch citizenship. Don't be surprised if he does the same for another promising Feyenoord youngster.

Eighteen year old Jonathan DeGuzman was born in Canada, but has played at Feyenoord since the age of 12 and can now apply for Dutch citizenship. The midfielder has already turned down several invitations from the Canadian FA, including the chance to play for the Under 20s at last year's World Youth Cup in Holland. "It's too early to make a decision", DeGuzman says. "All I want is to concentrate on Feyenoord and give something back for what they have done for me".

While DeGuzman might choose Holland ahead of Canada - he went to school in his adoptive country and speaks fluent Dutch - there are family matters to consider. elder brother Julian, who plays in Spain for Deportivo La Coruna, is a Canadian International, and Jonathan says: "It's my dream to play together with my brother. Besides, I haven't heard from the Dutch FA so far."

Julian moved to Europe at 16. Although he failed to impress during a trial at Feyenoord, he won a place in the Marseille set up and advised his brother to move overseas as soon as possible. Jonathan made a bigger impression during his trial with the Rotterdam club, moved quickly through the ranks, and made his senior debut in September last year. Within weeks DeGuzman was a regular starter.

His greatest strength is his versatility, and coach Erwin Koeman says: "He has almost everything a great player needs. The only thing missing is experience". DeGuzman, whose contract was recently extended until 2010, is learning quickly. In Feyenoord's recent 1-0 win over PSV he outplayed Philip Cocu, arguably the Dutch league's best player. But the youngster is determined not to get carried away, saying: "I need to learn to share out my energy. Not to give 110 per cent in the first seconds."

Unfortunetly at the end he will decide to for the Dutch NT! I see it differently if he is hesitating for with country he will play for! then I dont want him on the Canadian NT anyone would be proud of palying for there country

Archived