Webcast Interview with Yallop

analyst

Former Olympic and National team members Rob Reed & Niall Thompson host Up Front with Reed & Thomo, a new webcast venture put together with TTP TV. Please join for the first show this Monday February 27 @ 8PM Pacific as we will be taking your live calls & emails and have an extended 50 minute chat with Frank Yallop (you won't hear an interview quite like this anywhere else!).

This is the first of many episodes TTP will be doing, please help with your support by tuning in on Monday and please, please, please - let everyone you know about this broadcast! Our soccer community has been missing a program like this for years, now's the time to be a part of something new, something not seen since the likes of, well, the beginning of TTP :)

For the most recent announcement and updates, please visit the TTP home page < http://www.takethepiss.com/ > and either click on the Up Front icon or follow the links for the main news item.

PS. You will need Windows Media Player in order to tune in, the latest version for your operating system if possible (ie, greater than version 7.x).

The show was good, although there weren't as many listeners as I had hoped.

Here are some highlights.

Yallop said the three stars of the MNT in the future are Hutchison, De Rosario and Johnson.

Yallop said Canada can qualify for the next World Cup if they prepare properly. Blah, blah, blah.

Yallop said that Wayne Roooney is the best player in the world, not Ronaldinho or Lampard or Gerrard, or Shevchenko, or Nedved.

Thompson took a shot at the CSA for the repeated dismal performace of the CSA in failing to qualify for the World Cup time after time in spite of having a $13million budget and 23 paid staff, and 900,000 people registered to play socccer in Canada. Thompson said they should all be fired.

Thompson also criticized the BCSA for its failure to produce quality players as evidenced by the fact that only one BC product is on the roster for the upcoming friendly vs Austria. BCSA's poor result is in spite of the advantage it has comapred to other Regions due to the weather and the ability to play outdoor soccer all year round in the lower mainland and Vancouver island.

Thompson and Reed said that Yallop is a nice guy and that when he was in England, he let some Canadians stay at his place when they needed somewhere to stay during tryouts in England.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Thompson took a shot at the CSA for the repeated dismal performace of the CSA in failing to qualify for the World Cup time after time in spite of having a $13million budget and 23 paid staff

Criticizing the CSA for our inability to make the World Cup for the past 20 years is fair enough, but if I was going to do that I wouldn't use the fact that there is just a paltry 23 paid staff on the CSA as part of my argument.

The question is what do the 23 staff do? Apparently one of our problems is that there isn't enough money in the system, so that being the case, every nickel and dime has to be accounted for.

My main concern with the CSA isn't that they don't work hard, but perhaps their efforts aren't coordinated or focused properly. Do they have a Special Events department that looks at fundraising?

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

You know we're in trouble when our coach would rather have Rooney on his team than Ronaldinho. That just says it all. Fire Yallop now.

To paraphrase BrennanFan: You know we're in trouble when our coach calls a soon to be 28 year old MLS player one of our future stars. That just says it all. Fire Yallop now.

How does DeRo qualify as a future star? In a few months he will be 28 and is playing in a 2nd tier league and has never exactly shone on the international stage. However, he does happen to be a buddy of Yallop's. Just shows you what Yallop's mentality is and why we need to get rid of him. Absolutly justifies Hirsch's claim that he lost the starting job not on merit. DeRo should really be on the bubble as a starter because he is often flashy but ineffective and defensively a liability. At the very least we should be trying other options at this position.

I agree with Hutch but even the Johnson reference is curious. He is young and may develop into a fine player but he is not the first player in his age category that would come to my mind as a future star. I think this designation and the callup itself may have a lot to do with the fact that Yallop was the one who recruited Johnson. It is also strange that a certain 17 year old who was given his MNT debut in a WCQ was not mentioned as one would certainly think the coach must view him as a future star to give him such a role before he had shown anywhere that he deserved it. This just furthers the impression I have that a lot more than soccer skill and merit is going into Yallop's selection decisions.

Guest Jeffery S.

After seeing De Ro recently I definitely think he could handle a first division Spanish team, and would be an asset. He has to break out, but maybe is old enough now to move up. So I am hopeful he will shift into star form soon.

As for the CSA, if you think of all the work involved in men and women, senior and youth, and the need to send a chunk of people every time you have a tournament to some foreign country, it is not that many people. Usually we cannot handle two things at once, I feel that sometimes we turn down a women's youth tournament somewhere because we have a men's at the same time, stuff like that.

If you want to coordinate a World youth Cup you are going to have to hire more anyways as well, and they probably should be at their desks around now thinking about 16 months from now.

Well, then the CSA should be looking at alternate ways of getting things done. Many companies and organizations rely on internships, volunteers, etc to get things done. If the CSA approached us to take on a specific project (ie. contact all uncapped overseas Canadians) would we not do it?

And when I knock the CSA, again, I'm not questioning the effort of the staff, but rather the leadership.

For starters, what sort of image do you think would be projected locally and internationally if the Canadian national organisation chose to relay on a bunch of outside amateurs with no known credentials or vetting, that frequent a board like this with some of the way out and frequently vulgar posts we see often super-critical of the CSA and its staff, to approach professional players in Europe as formal representatives of the CSA? Furthermore I'll wager within 100 milliseconds there would be howls of protest right here and elsewhere about yet another example of the total incompetence of the CSA and especially Kevan Pipe.

If the CSA came out and said they needed help doing something, I would volunteer as would different people on this Board. I brought out the example of contacting overseas players because 1) it's a timely issue 2) through the hard work of Voyageurs there is a MOACA list.

I'm not expecting everybody to jump and volunteer, but I think there would definitely be interest. I'm assuming you wouldn't do it Richard?

I don't really disagree with the DeRo choice as a future star that much.. Yes he is 27 years old now and getting a late start at things as he's really only come on board the Men's Senior team since Yallop took over the last couple years.. But I think he can give us at least another good 7-8 years if he stays healthy, he appears to be a very fit individual.. He also arguably appears to have the most talent and "flash" of any Canadian players I've seen in a while,, the tools are there with him, he just has learn to put them all together.. For example he'll make some great rushes up the field but then pass at the wrong time, or he'll take a shot when he should be passing.. I've noticed him improving a lot over the last few friendlies, if he can keep up this level of play and continue to improve, he may very well be our key player over the next 2 qualifying campaigns.. Hutch is a gimme,, as far as Johnson,, well it's hard to say because none of us here have hardly even seen him play live at all except the coaches,, maybe they see something in him, but it seems pretty early to tell with him at this point..

I don't really disagree with the DeRo choice as a future star that much.. Yes he is 27 years old now and getting a late start at things as he's really only come on board the Men's Senior team since Yallop took over the last couple years.. But I think he can give us at least another good 7-8 years if he stays healthy, he appears to be a very fit individual.. He also arguably appears to have the most talent and "flash" of any Canadian players I've seen in a while,, the tools are there with him, he just has learn to put them all together.. For example he'll make some great rushes up the field but then pass at the wrong time, or he'll take a shot when he should be passing.. I've noticed him improving a lot over the last few friendlies, if he can keep up this level of play and continue to improve, he may very well be our key player over the next 2 qualifying campaigns.. Hutch is a gimme,, as far as Johnson,, well it's hard to say because none of us here have hardly even seen him play live at all except the coaches,, maybe they see something in him, but it seems pretty early to tell with him at this point..

we market soccer like we market the olympics...nothing sharp or sexy...i am sorry but we have a good "product" on the field. regardless of player selection etc. I think we should privatize soccer canada like the Aussies did.

quote:Originally posted by kelownaguy

I don't really disagree with the DeRo choice as a future star that much.. Yes he is 27 years old now and getting a late start at things as he's really only come on board the Men's Senior team since Yallop took over the last couple years..

This is absolutely untrue. DeRo was a regular on our U-20 and U-23 squads and then on our senior team throughout the Ossieck years. He has 8 U-20 caps 10 U-23 caps and 37 senior caps. He certainly didn't earn all 37 caps under Yallop who accounts for less than half of these. Probably no other player has steadily progressed through the CSA system to the extent of DeRo. I agree he has all the goods to be a star as he showed again today. He also showed once again that he can not finish, pass or receive effectively and is defensively weak. If he could put all his technical ability together he would be our best player but it is certainly questionable whether he will do this at almost 28 years old and playing in a 2nd tier league. I hope (though am not optimistic) he can put it together and he will be great if he does but he is certainly not the first guy that would come to mind in the future star category.

Archived