Canada’s Beach Soccer Roster Announced

loyola

Men's Beach Soccer Team

Friday, February 17, 2006

Canada’s Beach Soccer Roster Announced

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s Beach Soccer Head Coach, Ross Ongaro, has released his 12-man roster for the upcoming CONCACAF Beach Soccer Qualifying Tournament, a six-team round-robin event that will run from March 5-12, 2006 in Macaé, Brazil – 180km north of Rio de Janeiro.

Canada will arrive in Brazil on March 1 and will spend the first three days preparing for its first match against the Cayman Islands on March 5.

'I’m extremely excited about the opportunity for our country to participate in the First ever FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup,” said Head Coach Ross Ongaro. “It will be a challenge but at the same time a chance to showcase our Canadian talent in other forms of the World’s number one sport.'

This is Canada’s first effort to qualify in beach soccer; the inaugural FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup was staged in 2005 on Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro. The event has been gaining in popularity around the world as more countries have participated since the initial Beach Soccer World Championship was held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 1995.

For more information on Beach Soccer, please visit FIFA.com

About the CONCACAF Beach Soccer Qualification Tournament

The CONCACAF tournament will consist of a round robin with the six participating countries playing each other over a five-day period, March 5-9, 2006. The top two teams in the standings at the end of the round robin tournament will qualify for the FIFA World Championships, which will also to be played in Rio de Janeiro, in November 2006.

To add additional interest to the event, the two qualifiers from each Confederation will playoff to determine a Champion of the Americas. The CONCACAF Champion will play the CONMEBOL Runner-up and the CONMEBOL Champion will play the CONCACAF Runner-up in the Semi-Finals on Saturday, March 11. The following day, Sunday, March 12, the two Semi-Final winners will play for the Championship of the Americas and the two losers will play for 3rd place.

The CONCACAF tournament will be run separately but in the same venue and on the same dates as the CONMEBOL qualifying Tournament, which will also consist of six-teams.

Match Schedule

March 5, 2006

USA – MEXICO (15:00)

JAMAICA – COSTA RICA (16:10)

CANADA – CAYMAN ISLANDS (17:20)

March 6, 2006

USA – CAYMAN ISLANDS (16:00)

JAMAICA – CANADA (17:10)

COSTA RICA – MEXICO (18:20)

March 7, 2006

USA – CANADA (15:30)

JAMAICA – MEXICO (16:40)

COSTA RICA – CAYMAN ISLANDS (17:50)

March 8, 2006

USA – COSTA RICA (15:30)

JAMAICA – CAYMAN ISLANDS (16:40)

CANADA – MEXICO (17:50)

March 9, 2006

USA – JAMAICA (15:30)

COSTA RICA – CANADA (16:40)

CAYMAN ISLANDS – MEXICO (17:50)

Knockout Round

Semifinals – March 11

CONCACAF #1 - CONMEBOL #2 (10:00)

CONMEBOL #1 - CONCACAF #2 (11:15)

Finals – March 12

Third Place (8:30)

Final (10:00)

Canada’s Beach Soccer Roster

# POS Player Club DOB Hometown

1 GK FRANKS, Michael Vancouver Whitecaps 20-Apr-77 Vancouver, BC

2 D FRANKS, Christopher Vancouver Whitecaps 20-Apr-77 Vancouver, BC

3 D LYALL, Geordie Vancouver Whitecaps 15-Sep-78 Victoria, BC

4 D RATTEE, Todd Edmonton Scottish 23-Mar-72 Edmonton, AB

5 M BOSCH, Kurt © Edmonton Green & Gold 19-Mar-76 Edmonton, AB

6 M LEDUC, Patrick Montreal Impact 26-Dec-77 Montreal, QC

7 F RIBEIRO, Antonio Montreal Impact 08-Oct-80 Montreal, QC

8 M KINDEL, Steve Vancouver Whitecaps 25-Feb-77 Burnaby, BC

10 F SIBIYA, Sipho Edmonton Ital-Canadians 28-Jul-71 Edmonton, AB

11 M ONGARO, Justin Edmonton Ital-Canadians 14-Jul-83 Edmonton, AB

14 F SESTITO, Angelo Edmonton Ital-Canadians 26-Jun-73 Edmonton, AB

22 GK BONAR, Greg Edmonton Ital-Canadians 07-Sep-83 Edmonton, AB

Staff

ONGARO, Ross - Head Coach

SIBIYA, Sipho - Assistant Coach

MULDOON, Kevin - Goalkeeper Coach / Equipment Manager

LANG, Dwayne - Physiotherapist

NUTT, Dave - National Teams Administrator

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

The press release says that this is the first time Canada has tried to qualify. Didn't we send a team to the 2005 WC qualifying last year - it was on Fox Sports World Canada.... unless I'm confused. :)

No Tony Menezes this time around. [8)]

your right. if you go to www.beachsoccer.com in the photos section you can see a picture of canada vs usa and I even saw the qualifiers on satellite.

Does anyone know the selection process behind the players roster?

quote:Originally posted by El CHE

Does anyone know the selection process behind the players roster?

Thats a godo question - look at the roster, on the one hand there are some guys too old for the ALeague anymore and an Ongaro named player, and a playing assistant coach as players. The selection process must have been "if you can pay your own way, then you are included". Hate to see the CSA spend money sending all these guys to represent Canada.

Tony Menezes is in Brazil right now, I'm surprised he's not on the Canadian Team, he has played for Canada's Beach Soccer team before a few years back when it was held in Rio, I was at the game and watched Canada play Brazil. Tony's playing for Ulbra in Brazil.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

ONGARO'S A HATER!!!!

Why does the CSA still give him the chance to be coach of any of our national teams, when he has only drilled any team hes coached into the ground or they come out loosing.

I can not believe the player selection for Beach soccer. Player characteristics are agile, quick and light footed. All the players slected are HUGE and 30+ (there are exceptions like his SON) But I guess hes another proud dad trying to make a star out of his son while he gets ANOTHER opportunity to be Coach!

AND THE 4 EDMONTON ITAL-CAN. ARE AMATEURS. WHATS THE SEQUENCE? DOES HE COACH THEM TO?

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

The press release says that this is the first time Canada has tried to qualify. Didn't we send a team to the 2005 WC qualifying last year - it was on Fox Sports World Canada.... unless I'm confused. :)

No Tony Menezes this time around. [8)]

Yes, and last time it was in Brazil too. Our discussion thread.

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5868&SearchTerms=beach,soccer

Deja vu all over agin

Laughable. While Canada and beach soccer seem like an oxymoron, the least we could do is try and field a competitive team. Given the venue - Brazil - it shouldn't be too hard to find some willing souls to go down there for a kick around.

If you put together 6 teams from Edmonton alone, Ongaro's wouldn't win. No offense. I just can't help but laugh, much as I did when he assembled his Futsal team. Seriously now...the CSA must know that there is nepotism (his son) and patronage (his pals) at work.

Rattee just started playing again this winter after how long off? Bosch as captain? Sibiya, his partner in the "Pro Stars" camp gig? Bonar in goal? Come on! And don't get me started on someone like Sestito...

This simply isn't good enough. Canadian talent, indeed.

And people wonder why Edmonton has trouble managing a pro side. This isn't a very serious side is it? Ital isn't even a strong AMSL side anymore but I guess they are good enough to represent the best players we have? This wouldn't even be a very good Edmonton team. It's the same problem we get whenever Ongaro is left in charge of a pro side. It looks like a bunch of buddies getting a holiday. Brutal.

I suspect the CSA had trouble finding somebody in Canada willing to take this on, let alone getting top Canadian players to agree to participate.

Beach Soccer is joining the FIFA family. In May [2006], the first FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup will be staged on Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro. The event will be a fantastic opportunity for fans to watch the top stars of the sport, including Neném, (Brazil), Amarelle (Spain), Madjer (Portugal), Meier (Switzerland) and Sciortino (France).

http://fifa.com/en/comp/BSWC/0,4101,BSWC-2005-6,00.html

Archived