Canadians abroad: February 17-23, 2006

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EST.

None.

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for February 17-23, 2006.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Marcel De Jong scored Helmond Sport third goal in a 3-1 win over FC Omniworld.

According to Livescore, de Jong actually scored the second and third goals for Helmond. First 2-goal game for him that I can remember.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Stalteri plays the match as Spurs have to come back to draw at home against Wigan 2-2. Spurs are in 4th with a 5-point gap above and below in the table, although Spurs have played one more match than both.

According to the match tracker Stalteri set up the first goal for Spurs.

Joe Di Di Guono played 45' for Polonia warszawa during training camp in Turkey. They baet Sportul Studentesc 2:0 (1:0) and as a result went undefeated in 3 games @ camp. 2 draws and a win. THey fly back to Poland and will be back in Warsaw monday @ 12:25 p.m. local time.

Polonia: Fogler - ¯ytko, £ukasiewicz, Kowalczyk, Kozubek - B¹k (46. Di Buono), DŸwiga³a (87. Biernacki), Ekwueme (80. Terlecki), Cichon (85. Citko) - Kosmalski (66. Kmiecik), Zasada

Source: www.ksppolonia.pl

Guest Jeffery S.

Not a good day for Julian as he was pulled at the half for Sergio as Depor tried to get back against Zaragoza, eventually doing so on a great goal by Munitis when a man down. for the 1-1. Julian was said to be ineffective, the radio was not too favourable about his performance.

Depor has great probs winning at home, where they are expected to carry the game to the opponent. Without Valeron, injured, they simply do not have anyone able to make the transition forward, and the only talented guys are out on the wings (like Munitis), often lost in chasing their respective defensive backs. The striker are interesting but young, and the defense solid but a bit rough around the edges (Coloccini with his second straight red for agression in a month).

Still think Julian's chances would be better more in an attacking role for Depor, as he has proven to play better going that way. So how about Canada taking a cue and lining up with Occean/De Ro in the middle, Julian on the right, Radz or De Rosario on the left, Hume in the hole behind them. That I think could be a damn good option in a "defensive" 4-3-3.

I just noticed this article from last week:

Soccer-Canada's De Guzman upset by racial abuse at Betis

276 words

15 February 2006

13:41

Reuters News

English

© 2006 Reuters Limited

MADRID, Feb 15 (Reuters) - Deportivo Coruna's Julian De Guzman was surprised and upset to be racially abused by Real Betis supporters at Sunday's Primera Liga match and has called for such incidents to be eradicated from the game.

The former Hannover 96 midfielder, who plays for Canada, was targeted by a section of Betis fans who directed racial abuse, chants and monkey noises at him while he was warming up and during the game at the Ruiz de Lopera stadium in Seville.

Referee Alfonso Pino Zamorano did not mention the incidents in his match report.

"I'm totally opposed to these sorts of chants and noises," De Guzman told Marca's website on Wednesday.

"I know that they occur in some places but they have to be stopped now. We live in a racially mixed world and there is no room for such behaviour in football.

"I'm saddened by it but it's over now. It's the first time that it has happened to me in Spain ... It happened to me once in Germany but it wasn't so loud.

"Football brings nationalities together and I was brought up with that, that's why I don't understand it."

Spanish football has witnessed an increase in abuse directed against black players during matches in recent seasons.

Real Zaragoza were fined 600 euros ($714.4) by the Spanish Football Federation this month after their fans directed racial insults at Betis's Brazilian forward Robert.

It also made the Globe, with additional comments from Dad.

Racist taunts

Peter Mallett

408 words

16 February 2006

The Globe and Mail

S2

English

All material copyright Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. or its licensors. All rights reserved.

Julian de Guzman, a mainstay of Canada's national soccer team, was the target of racist taunts against black players by Spanish fans. De Guzman, 24, a midfielder on the Spanish first division club Deportivo La Coruna, was the object of the abuse from Real Betis fans when his team visited Manuel Ruiz de Lopera Stadium in Seville last Sunday. The fans directed chants and monkey noises at him while he was warming up and during the game.

“I know these incidents occur in some placesm but they have to be stopped now,” de Guzman, of Toronto, said in a statement. “We live in a racially mixed world and there is no room for such behaviour in football. I'm saddened by it, but it's over now. It's the first time that has happened to me in Spain, it happened to me in Germany, but it wasn't so loud.”

De Guzman's mother was born in Jamaica and his father in the Philippines. He is the first Canadian to play in Spain's elite league after he transferred from the German Bundesliga club Hanover 96 in June.

De Guzman's brother Jonathan, 18, plays for Feyenoord Rotterdam in the Dutch soccer league.

Julian de Guzman is enjoying the best season of his career. He scored the winning goal in a 3-1 win over Real Madrid on Oct. 26. In a 3-3 tie this season against Barcelona, he was given the task of marking world player of the year Ronaldinho.

De Guzman's father, Julian Sr., said yesterday he was shocked by the accounts from Seville, but told his son to keep his composure.

“Don't lower yourself, I told him, if you react to them, then they got you,” de Guzman Sr. told his son in a telephone conversation yesterday. “Let the officials monitor these things and don't ever retaliate.”

The taunts increased when de Guzman tackled Real Betis captain Juanito during the second half of the match, which Deportivo won 1-0.

“The actions of those fans are unacceptable,” de Guzman Sr. told The Globe and Mail. “The more people who are aware of it, hopefully these small number of idiots will be scrutinized for their actions. I know [the Union Européenne de Football Asssociation] is trying to nip these incidents in the bud and punish any fans, coaches or players who make comments like this.”

Archived