usl forms new league

jaydog2006

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

In Boston we played on a high school field that consisted of a 20,000 seat, fieldturf, international sized field with very nice dressing room facilities. High school fields / stadiums in the U.S. are quite often something very different from what most people would picture in their head as a high school stadium.

I'm not saying they are all like this but when I saw a high school listed as our venue in the SYL - the quality of the venue was not a primary concern for me as a coach.

Do a google image search on high school stadiums to get an idea of what I mean.

Weymouth High Shool - one of the Fury away games: http://www.weymouth.ma.us/CMS200Sample/uploadedimages/m_HighSchoolField1.jpg

Bill

Bill what was the crowd at that game? The PDL one at the high school. I keep hearing that the Ottawa PDL team is one of the top 3 three in terms of how it's run and in terms of local support. Yet as I recall if you took out the double headers with he ladies, you're basically looking at 200 per game in a city of 1.1 million.

What needs to happen for the attendance to improve? is a case of a lack of a owner not willing to spend some money on marketing the team to make money?

Or is that 200-300 per game as good as it's going to get for the men's game in Ottawa? I know that some the scarf wearers on this board think Ottawa could be a USL 1 market with the right backing a support. I think Ottawa isn't even as good a market as Quebec City.

You're take?

That high school venue is for a game scheduled for this summer. I would say attendance for the PDL has run between 300 - 700 for the PDL in Ottawa.

In reality I don't think Ottawa is ready, yet, for a USL DIV 1 team - that is to draw the 7,500 - 10K in my opinion it is necessary for a USL 1 team to be considered successful. To be fair it took Montreal and even Vancouver quite some time to reach that level so I do not rule out that Ottawa could support a truly PRO franchise to that level over time but right now, in my opinion, I don't believe the market is ready.

Having said that I don't believe Quebec City would either, one or two games "dropped" in as a solo event consisting of a Championship calibre team (the Impact) is much different than supporting a building team or the day in, day out support needed to make a franchise successful.

Bill

Actually, glancing quickly over all the PDL teams, I think only Chicago Fire of MLS and Atlanta from D1 have PDL teams. I don't think any other MLS/D1/D2 teams have a PDL team. Even clubs in the Super-Y like the Lynx don't have a PDL team. So in reality, the PDL is more of a D3 (isn't that how it began?) for markets who can't support D1/D2. So I guess this U20 does make sense.

Archived