usl forms new league

jaydog2006

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

C'mon jaydog, what makes it "on its own" - a different name? The contact person on the release just happens to be the head of the Super Y....

Anyway, I agree that it is a good idea to add that extra year to the old U19 league...

upp at 250 bucks a month per player, a super -20 league could bring in some revenue for a club.

Doesn't really matter where this leagues is administered within the overall USL organisation. All the USL leagues are run out of the same offices no matter what the leagues are called. It will be a standalone league as far as the clubs and players are concerned. If clubs with existing Y-League programs choose to enter the U-20 league so be it, maybe some clubs will only enter U-20 teams. I am all in favour of expanding higher level playing opportunities for North American youth whatever names are given to the leagues.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Doesn't really matter where this leagues is administered within the overall USL organisation. All the USL leagues are run out of the same offices no matter what the leagues are called. It will be a standalone league as far as the clubs and players are concerned. If clubs with existing Y-League programs choose to enter the U-20 league so be it, maybe some clubs will only enter U-20 teams. I am all in favour of expanding higher level playing opportunities for North American youth whatever names are given to the leagues.

Isn't this just PDl lite? If I'm living in Ottawa do I stop going to PDL games to support this? All 200 of me...

Makes no sense in terms of developing players. If a 19 can't make a PDL team (u-23), I think it's time to give up on the boy. And it makes no sense in trying to build a following for your PDL team, if next year you create a U-21 division.

"If a 19 can't make a PDL team (u-23), I think it's time to give up on the boy."

I am inclined to agree with this view if all you're thinking of is developing players for a possible career in professional soccer. However if you have a broader view then increasing the number of higher level competitive playing opportunities for the better players can only be good for the game in general. I don't think all the players in the PDL are looking to become professional soccer player either but that doesn't mean they are not keen to play at the highest level they can while the opportunity is there. Most will then move on to the various senior amateur leagues around the country as they build their off-field careers and help to raise the overall level of play in these leagues.

I don't think the playing environment in Canada-USA is really comparable with the UK just yet Bill :-)

True, true, [:o)] I believe the Fury are using the U20 program as more of a reserve team program for the PDL and W-League sides. Look to see a number of the U20s to be signed by the senior sides but see playing time in both places.

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

Kind of make you wonder why those big clubs like Arsenal, Man Utd et al bother with U19 teams..

Bill.

That's funny. Comparing the Fury to Arsenal or Man U.

Next thing you'll be saying that the SYL programs are on par with the youth programs at Arsenal or Man United. Except for the fact that Fury kids have to pay 3 grand a year and won't make a cent if they do play for the senior squads, while at Arsenal, the youth player pays nothing and is boarded and educated by the club. And has the chance of making millions of pounds if they make the first team. And the coaching I'm thinking is probably a little better than at Man United as well. I'm betting most club coaches at Man United have played one or two games at the pro level and have done more than coach in the OCSL.

The U-20 is a duplication of the U-19. But it allows clubs to fill roster spots that a 20 year old could not fill on a U-19 team. It simply allows clubs to field teams. I understand the Fury have always had problem filling spots on it's U-19 teams. Which I don't think is a problem for Arsenal or even non-league teams.

If the USL wanted reserve teams they'd had a PDL reserve division which would be U-23 and no age limit on the W-league. What's the point of having a reserve team that can't accommodate players recovering from an injury? or bench players that need a game?

Guest Jeffery S.

Kind of make you wonder why those big clubs like Arsenal, Man Utd et al bother with U19 teams..

The thing is they don't even play a competitive league Bill, so it is just a poor man's reserve squad of guys they are hoping may come around but most likely will not.

In Spain there is a 2nd or third team for a pro side, but always without age limitations (mostly) and playing in an official league, able to promote, etc. I think Germany is similar.

The only youth leagues are the under-17s.

I also agree that any decent u-19 should be sent into an MLS reserve side, or loaned down to Division A. At that age there is no reason to be only playing with their age group, they in fact should be facing the big boys.

Sounds like someone with NCAA experience, where you are still developing as a junior, thought that one up.

I'm assuming they will play June-August to allow players to go to university?

So basically it's an other useless USL league so they can pretend they are special. "We have 3 billion teams in 72 million cities with 270 billion players and 32 fans. Yeah. Oh and they have to pay $300 a month."

If they want to do something useful, they should set-up an U23 (PDL) or an U21 league that starts in April and finishes in October and might actually develop a player or two. Basically make NCAA soccer meaningless, which it already is, as it's the major problem in North American soccer.

There needs to be something like major-junior hockey (CHL). And if I'm not mistaken, most baseball players do not go through the NCAA. They get drafted at 18 and go through the A/AA/AAA baseball system.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

And if I'm not mistaken, most baseball players do not go through the NCAA. They get drafted at 18 and go through the A/AA/AAA baseball system.

You might want to check that one I was actually surprised by the number that do come through the NCAA I thought it would be none - it's not. Here is a list of 2005 draftees - now I know they may never actually see MLB but it is a pretty extensive list none the less:

http://www.ncaa-baseball.com/draft2005.htm

In 2005 there were over two dozen former NCAA DIVISION II Players on Major League rosters. Arizona State has over 80 alumni that have played in the majors so way more collegiate ball players get to the majors than many, including myself, think (thought). Besides if EA Sports makes a game for it - it must be important!! Yes there is a EA NCAA Baseball 06....

Kelly - I did not pretend or even mean to let anyone think I thought that the Fury and Arsenal were comparable - anyone, including you, I think knows me a bit better than that. I believe I already outlined the diferrences and the reasons for them in another thread. Please see for this reference -

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8637&whichpage=1

Guys I do not know or even pretend to know all the answers but after being involved in this game for an extended perod of time at all levels in this country - I firmly believe doing something to make things better is better than just sitting back, doing little and crapping on the people who are trying to change things. Just my opinion that and $2 will get you a cup of coffee.

"I firmly believe doing something to make things better is better than just sitting back, doing little and crapping on the people who are trying to change things."

On that I am 100% with you Bill. Some of the things tried will succeed, others will fail but if we stop doing anything because sometimes we fail, well.....

I reiterate my position that the more higher level playing opportunities we create for our better young players the better for the game in general. I don't think anybody except perhaps for a few dolts, is expecting every player in the USL U-20 program will or even wants to go on to play professionally. And as for Kelly, every time you mention the USL or academies that cost more than $1.50 a month he instantly becomes blinded by huge dollar signs!

You might want to check that one I was actually surprised by the number that do come through the NCAA I thought it would be none - it's not. Here is a list of 2005 draftees - now I know they may never actually see MLB but it is a pretty extensive list none the less:

http://www.ncaa-baseball.com/draft2005.htm

First you tell us that Man Utd and the Toronto Lynx are the same thing, now soccer and baseball are the same. [:o)]

Just a couple comments about that. There's something like 1500 guys drafted every year by MLB. On that list you can see the highest number is 1471 I believe. Plus, most of the college guys are drafted in the later rounds.

I think the problem is that NCAA soccer is looked upon as the highest level for most players. It seems to be changing with MLS, but not enough. Nobody plays NCAA basketball or football for the experience, and certainly not for the education. It's a stepping stone to the pro leagues.

I don't think the US can expect world-class players from the NCAA. It's not intense enough to be able to compete with the rest of the world. You can't compare it to football/basketball/baseball where the US doesn't really have much, or any in the case of football, competition. I think 17-21 is the prime age category where players either are prepared for the next level, or are lost for good.

Some of the things tried will succeed, others will fail but if we stop doing anything because sometimes we fail, well.....

I reiterate my position that the more higher level playing opportunities we create for our better young players the better for the game in general. I don't think anybody except perhaps for a few dolts, is expecting every player in the USL U-20 program will or even wants to go on to play professionally.

Yet you complain about the CPSL trying.

If you don't expect to play in the pros, why play in this USL U20 league? Then it just becomes a glorified house league.

The problem I have with the USL is it seems more interested in empire-building so they can have a say in North American soccer, instead of focusing on what they currently have and making it stronger.

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

This is a good thing because it gets more players in the pool and rather than being an 18 or 19 year old sitting on a PDL bench you actually get games to play and can develop faster.

And where do bench warmers on PDL teams develop too? Local men's leagues?

I wonder how many first year "bench" players in the PDL have gone onto to play in the MLS or USL1?

The PDL is the soccer version of basketballs ABA. 98 teams and 20,000 leagues beneath the sea.

quote:Originally posted by jaydog2006

No the pdl is not the aba.I suggest you do some looking around in regards to how bad the aba is.I am not talking on court off court it is a complete joke.Unlike the aba the pdl is a use full league and does give players an outlet.

Some teams draw well, others don't. The league set-up is very similiar. Go the ABA wesite and then check out the USL PDL website. Both league play out of high schools.

quote: Both league play out of high schools.

In Boston we played on a high school field that consisted of a 20,000 seat, fieldturf, international sized field with very nice dressing room facilities. High school fields / stadiums in the U.S. are quite often something very different from what most people would picture in their head as a high school stadium.

I'm not saying they are all like this but when I saw a high school listed as our venue in the SYL - the quality of the venue was not a primary concern for me as a coach.

Do a google image search on high school stadiums to get an idea of what I mean.

Weymouth High Shool - one of the Fury away games: http://www.weymouth.ma.us/CMS200Sample/uploadedimages/m_HighSchoolField1.jpg

Bill

Archived