The Ultras name

G-Man

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Sigma

While not in England, there is an Ultra group in Scotland - The Red Ultras (Aberdeen).

100_0272_jpg.jpg

Their aim, "Our main aim is to put some colour and passion into following Aberdeen Football Club with our displays, banners and flags etc"

Thats really cool. I hope a few teams adopt this in the EPL, where the security angle has largely sterilized stadium atmospheres.

John Tv:

So now you’re telling us what to wear. [}:)]As it looks right now the U-Sector name will remain. I have no idea how you want to be identified. Wear different colours. Hmmm maybe "tie-die" Sit in different areas of the stadium stand up and sing so were not together and not classified as those wild hooligan fans that we all are[8)]Common. Take a look at other fan clubs around the MLS

CHICAGO: Section 8, Fire ultras 98, Mike Ditka Street Crew. their slogan is "WE CAME TO DO YOU WRONG" all these groups work together with the fire. Infact a few of their guys are on payroll with the FIRE. they light flares smoke bomb hang huge flags.

DC UNITED: Barra Brava, Screaming Eagles. Again they all wear the same colors sing chant.

LA Galaxy: LA RIOT SQUAD. RIOT SQUAD !!!! do you see the media jumping on them b/c they are responsible for rioting ?? NO

All these groups have respect from the front office. They work together in creating atmosphere. I don’t understand how the name U-Sector or us wearing yellow to games or meeting will make us look bad. I encourage everyone to come out and support but I think you should re-think if you want to be apart of this or not. It seems to me ( and I'm sure others ) that every post you make is about change and what we should do to become better. I think everything is fine. We are growing in numbers. Even @ lynx games. When we sing and chant and throw streamers and hang flags. People look to us and seem to like it. Heck @ times even the soccer moms join in. The kids also join in and ask if they can throw streamers or wave our flags. Some even ask us to do specific chants because they like it. ahhh I think my rant is done.

quote:Originally posted by Franky

YOu let the media dictate what they want, then that is your downfall.

If you are instrumental in creating a section that conveys what the sport and the team is truly about, anything is possible.

Amen brother. We have t be active in dispelling the myths! As long as there are fans choosing to stand, sing, chant, drum, wave scarves, banners and flags, they can be labelled hooligans by the uninformed no matter what cute family-friendly name they call themselves. Because that type of stadium behavior is Ultra behavior, whether you use the name Ultra or not. People will see that. They're not stupid. The ONLY way not to have comparisons made with the notorious ultra groups of Europe, is to not support the team the way Ultras do. Sit down, clap politely, and munch on snacks during the game, and the media won't be able to pin the hooligan thing on you. Anyone interested?

quote:Originally posted by Domi Rulezz

Hey guys, I finally got Ed to send me an extra one of his BS Detectors*, and upon installing it on my computer I was able to run a few paragrahs of G-man's linked story through the translator.

Here's what it read:

"Football (soccer) is the national obsession on the Voyageurs Board, but displays of overt idiocy, repetitiveness and anti-logic by G-Man – a small-minded, but singularily-focused, board member claiming to be a fan who uses the issues of building soccer venues to disseminate messages of stupidity – have become alarmingly commonplace on the bandwith of Canadian internet protocols.

The latest episode happened Monday on a sub-forum at Voyageurs discussing Canadian Leagues and Clubs. G-Man brazenly unfurled a thread with hyperlinks to a news story about Italian Ultras, in a tired attempt to equate members of Toronto's U-Sector (formerly known as the Toronto Ultras) with overzealous supporters with a long history of violence and unruliness."

An incredible piece of software, this thing is. And thanks to this board, there will be ample opportunity for me to test it out.

* - only available in Alberta. Patented the day after Whorgreaves lied on national TV about his intentions to play for Canada.

Well. I think the "sane" people here saw the possible link between being associated with the worst of European soccer and the new MLS team. As for the knee jerk crowd you missed the point.

Ultra's have a terrible public image- and it's well won. And even I, hope that the MLS team supporters group isn't called Ultra's. We don't see Ultra's at any mainstream North American sporting event. There is no need. Crowds have fun at it is. It's a different culture.

And anything "scary" real or not, will turn the market off to going to games. I personally think flares are a bad idea. Flags are great. Singing wonderful. Getting pissed and abusive- bad idea. I think the MLS team supporters group should called what it is. A fan club for adults who enjoy scarves (taking the piss boys- cause deep down I love you all)

So call it the "Toronto "insert Euro Name here" Fan Club".

That way, if the team is called the Toronto Lactics, everyone can add the FC after.

Even if I'm negative (I do think the MLS in Toronto will make the Edmonton Aviators seem like a brilliant idea) I'm just thinking of you MLS guys. It'd be shame if someone lost a eye from a flare or that people are turned off by the Ultra's reputation. What happens in Italy or in the terraces of FC Den Hague effects people's perception of supporters groups here as well.

You'll need to keep every single one of those 3000 fans.

No Gman you missed the point, which is that soccer fans who chose to support the team in an active, colourful traditional European way are often mis-labelled Hooligans. The only solution is to either educate the media about this legitimate style of support, or abandon it altogether as you are suggesting with your "different culture" comment. As for your comment about the lack of Ultras in mainstream sport, well no kidding genius , soccer isn't mainstream is it, so whats your point lol? I was born in Canada, and the Ultra way is MY own cultural way. You may think you are more Canadian than me because you want to clap politely and eat popcorn during soccer games, but tell you what; I don't care what YOU think is Canadian. Canadian culture is what I make it. Welcome to the new Canada G-man. I'll do a LOUD Ultra-style chant for ya in '07 ok?

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

John Tv:

So now you’re telling us what to wear. [}:)]As it looks right now the U-Sector name will remain. I have no idea how you want to be identified. Wear different colours. Hmmm maybe "tie-die" Sit in different areas of the stadium stand up and sing so were not together and not classified as those wild hooligan fans that we all are[8)]Common. Take a look at other fan clubs around the MLS

CHICAGO: Section 8, Fire ultras 98, Mike Ditka Street Crew. their slogan is "WE CAME TO DO YOU WRONG" all these groups work together with the fire. Infact a few of their guys are on payroll with the FIRE. they light flares smoke bomb hang huge flags.

DC UNITED: Barra Brava, Screaming Eagles. Again they all wear the same colors sing chant.

LA Galaxy: LA RIOT SQUAD. RIOT SQUAD !!!! do you see the media jumping on them b/c they are responsible for rioting ?? NO

All these groups have respect from the front office. They work together in creating atmosphere. I don’t understand how the name U-Sector or us wearing yellow to games or meeting will make us look bad. I encourage everyone to come out and support but I think you should re-think if you want to be apart of this or not. It seems to me ( and I'm sure others ) that every post you make is about change and what we should do to become better. I think everything is fine. We are growing in numbers. Even @ lynx games. When we sing and chant and throw streamers and hang flags. People look to us and seem to like it. Heck @ times even the soccer moms join in. The kids also join in and ask if they can throw streamers or wave our flags. Some even ask us to do specific chants because they like it. ahhh I think my rant is done.

Just the name association with the Euro ultras may be a problem. I am only suggesting to stay away till this things clears up.

I am more than anyone else in more than total support of fans and fan clubs. This is extremely important and going back to the old Blizzard days we were very much involved in creating this type of following through the various major clubs in and around Toronto.We managed at that time to get at least 1200 to 1500 people to came to our games.

Hey there is nothing more exhilirating than go to a soccer game and sing your heart out. It is amazing and certainly very important for your team on the field.I remember sitting among the many Dutch fans and in fact enjoyed this atmosphere even more than the game.Going to a game here is just as exciting and al part and partial of soccer and not something that we have experienced here to many times in any sport.I have for many years been pushing the idea of a soccer song that sticks and will be part of our soccer tradition.This go.... go, is for the birds and a downer in my opinion. we must find something that is Toronto and can be also introduced when our National Team plays.

So yes be a group that represents top notch soccer and build on it. This internet thing is a very valuable tool and maybe there must be a way to start a recruiting system through the clubs,spread the word find out what clubs have a web site.Just some thought guys.

Now about that yellow.How about Orange!

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

No Gman you missed the point, which is that soccer fans who chose to support the team in an active, colourful traditional European way are often mis-labelled Hooligans. The only solution is to either educate the media about this legitimate style of support, or abandon it altogether as you are suggesting with your "different culture" comment. As for your comment about the lack of Ultras in mainstream sport, well no kidding genius , soccer isn't mainstream is it, so whats your point lol? I was born in Canada, and the Ultra way is MY own cultural way. You may think you are more Canadian than me because you want to clap politely and eat popcorn during soccer games, but tell you what; I don't care what YOU think is Canadian. Canadian culture is what I make it. Welcome to the new Canada G-man. I'll do a LOUD Ultra-style chant for ya in '07 ok?

I don't think I'm more Canadian than anyone else. But I do think that the vast majority of fans attending soccer games in this country don't care whether you're standing and chanting for 90 minutes. You may. Which is nice. See you're just not that important to their game day experience- unless you're standing right in front of them and preventing them from seeing the game. Then they'll ask you to sit down. It's a cultural thing. They pay money- they expect to be able to sit down and see the game.

What would be be cool would be a gay leather ultra group in Toronto. One end of MLS park could be called the "Steers" for the straights and the other end could be called the "Queers" and both groups could bait each other all game. Kinda like "North Side Sucks" chant they do in Ottawa at CFL games. Except when the steers shout out "Queer Side Sucks" the Queer Side shouts back "Your Dad would know" What a hoot that would be. Middle class Toronto would love it! One of the cheerleading sqauds could be a group of well dressed metrosexuals, who when the metrostars come to town get beaten with thundersticks until they wear those tacky oversized scarves with "TORONTO" on them.

Call the team the Toronto Rainbow Connecting FC. A team for all of Toronto.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

But I do think that the vast majority of fans attending soccer games in this country don't care whether you're standing and chanting for 90 minutes. You may. Which is nice. See you're just not that important to their game day experience- unless you're standing right in front of them and preventing them from seeing the game. Then they'll ask you to sit down.

Which contradicts what you said earlier -

quote:And anything "scary" real or not, will turn the market off to going to games.

First you say our Ultra-style support will scare away the 'majority of fans' now you say they don't care what we do as long as we aren't blocking their view. Would you like to make up your mind and construct a coherent argument here?

Newsflash: Supporters sections were created to ensure that the 'majority of fans' aren't blocked by our standing and banner waving. So there goes that source of annoyance for your 'majority'

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Just the name association with the Euro ultras may be a problem. I am only suggesting to stay away till this things clears up.

Much as I wish it wasn't so, your advise is probably good John.

quote:I am more than anyone else in more than total support of fans and fan clubs. This is extremely important and going back to the old Blizzard days we were very much involved in creating this type of following through the various major clubs in and around Toronto.We managed at that time to get at least 1200 to 1500 people to came to our games.

Hey there is nothing more exhilirating than go to a soccer game and sing your heart out. It is amazing and certainly very important for your team on the field.I remember sitting among the many Dutch fans and in fact enjoyed this atmosphere even more than the game.Going to a game here is just as exciting and al part and partial of soccer and not something that we have experienced here to many times in any sport.I have for many years been pushing the idea of a soccer song that sticks and will be part of our soccer tradition.This go.... go, is for the birds and a downer in my opinion. we must find something that is Toronto and can be also introduced when our National Team plays.

My sentiments exactly John. I am all in favour of a Toronto anthem. We must bring this up at the next meeting.

This story, from Pulse24.com (Citytv Toronto), is probably relevant here.....

Sign Felled

Video: low speed high speed

There’s apparently a new threat lurking in our arenas, more dangerous than the drunken home-team zealot, more threatening than the visiting team’s hyperactive mascot and scarier than the prospect of flying pucks and crashing bodychecks.

That threat is the prepubescent hockey fanatic wielding his potentially deadly array of props.

It may sound ridiculous, but according to officials at the Air Canada Centre, nine-year-old Brody Steven fit the profile to a tee when he attended last Saturday’s Leaf game with his parents.

Brody was decked out in his usual attire -- a Leafs jersey, blue and white paint, and his lucky charm: a sign that declared him the “#1 Leaf Fan”.

He had taken it to other games and was even lucky enough to have it signed by some of the Leafs. But when he tried to enter the arena on Saturday, he was abruptly halted.

“Well, they said that we couldn't bring it in because they thought the back of it, this stick, could be used as a weapon,” he said.

“They thought that if we snapped the stick, it could be really sharp inside when it got snapped and then you could stab someone and they could get hurt,” Brody adds with a shrug.

The idea of her well-behaved son suddenly turning his sign into a prison shank was almost comical to his mom.

“I couldn't see their logic on this. It's a piece of cardboard, and my purse with the straps on it would be more of a weapon and the items that they have for sale in their store were much more dangerous than that,” she said.

“We talked to three security guards. The first person when we were handing in our tickets said we couldn't take it in, it was a weapon. Somebody else came from behind the doors and said 'can I have a look at this?'

"And then she brought in a gentleman who came and looked at it as well, so three people looked at the sign,” she recalled.

Brody didn't miss the game but his dad had to take the sign back to the car.

The A.C.C. has refused to comment. To make matters worse, the Leafs lost the game to the Rangers.

“Brodie was really disappointed,” his mom adds. “This was his special birthday outing and he said he's never been to a game before when they lost so it was kind of a double whammy for him. We asked him how he felt when he came home. He said, "I was heartbroken."

February 14, 2006

geez, a gun is a weapon! a stick?? what is he going to do, impale (sp??) the corporate tight heads???

Anyways, John i know what you are trying to get at, but then, what you are trying to say is lets change the term "soccer" because it indicates hooliganism. Whatever the fan club decides in the end (when the team starts to take shape) should be respected whether its Ultras or City Dwellers. for all we know is, guys may break off and create their own Toronto Lynx supporters fan club and state they already have over a hundred members over night[:o)]

lets just say for now that we are a legend of strong partisan fans of Sean, and that should get us by for now.

for the anthem song, i've been knocking myself silly for years and haven't nailed it on the head yet. for all i care, we can have the theme song from "the littlest Hobo" [:P]

GL, i'll make every effort to be there. i will try to confirm next week. believe me, i would like to be present on this one and to see how they view us, as a whole. Hoping, we do not overwhelm the dude.

Yes it is probably true, we have that image.Soccer always has been looked upon as riots,killings,dangerous fans etc,soccer is still looked upon as a foreign sport,defenitely not North American (yet).That is why so very few competitive boys players have Canadian parents.This is what I have explained before.

I have learned to live with this bad image and I sense that this impression is slowly disappearing.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

I will not be there as it so happens I am entertaining Italien visitors who I do business with.

Any suggestion as to a top notch Italien restaurant in the downtown area.

Sotto Sotto on Avenue Rd, Yorkville. All the film stars go there during the Film Festival. I went once and the food was great, though understandably expensive.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Much as I wish it wasn't so, your advise is probably good John.

My sentiments exactly John. I am all in favour of a Toronto anthem. We must bring this up at the next meeting.

NOW IF WE HAVE THAT SONG OR SONGS,WHAT HAPPENS AT ALL THE OTHER MAJOR EVENTS,SUCH AS BASEBALL,FOOTBALL AND HOCKEY. I DON'T THINK THESE SPORTS WILL ALLOW THE SINGING AS THE SOCCER GUYS WOULD,NOR WOULD IT BE ACCEPTABLE SINCE THESE SPORTS CONTAIN A LOT OF COMMENTARY AS WELL.THIS COMMENTARY WILL BE DROWNED OUT BY THE FANS,SO THIS WILL BE A NO NO.WHAT WILL COME OUT IS THAT BEING AT A SOCCER EVENT WITH ALL THAT CROWD PARTICIPATION THESE SPORTS WILL START TO LOOK DULL.

THAT IS WHAT HAS BEEN MISSING AT ALL THESE LEAFS GAMES I WENT TO.ALL WE HEAR IS THIS GO LEAFS GO AND THAT IS IT.

How's this John TV? Considering Adrian Serioux will most likely be the star player on the MLS Toronto side...

sung to James Blunt's

"You're Beautiful"

My team is crap.

My love is a foot long scarf.

I saw an lame defensive midfielder

Of that I'm sure.

he smiled at me on the pitch.

he couldn't juggle a ball.

But I won't lose no sleep on that,

Cause we've got no plan to win at all.

He's Adrian Serioux. He's Adrian Serioux.

He's Adrian Serioux, it's true.

I saw his face in a empty stadium,

And I don't know what to do,

'Cause we'll never win with him.

Yeah, he caught my eye,

As we walked on by.

He could see from my face that I was,

Flying high, [ - video/radio edited version]

greating high, [ - CD version]

And I don't think that I'll see him again,

But we shared a moment that will last till the end.

We went 4-28.

And the team moved out west

in 2009

Adrian Serioux. Adrian Serioux.

MLSE. Pogey Park. Adrian Serioux

How's this John TV? Considering Adrian Serioux will most likely be the star player on the MLS Toronto side...

sung to James Blunt's

"You're Beautiful"

My team is crap.

My love is a foot long scarf.

I saw an lame defensive midfielder

Of that I'm sure.

he smiled at me on the pitch.

he couldn't juggle a ball.

But I won't lose no sleep on that,

Cause we've got no plan to win at all.

He's Adrian Serioux. He's Adrian Serioux.

He's Adrian Serioux, it's true.

I saw his face in a empty stadium,

And I don't know what to do,

'Cause we'll never win with him.

Yeah, he caught my eye,

As we walked on by.

He could see from my face that I was,

Flying high, [ - video/radio edited version]

greating high, [ - CD version]

And I don't think that I'll see him again,

But we shared a moment that will last till the end.

We went 4-28.

And the team moved out west

in 2009

Adrian Serioux. Adrian Serioux.

MLSE. Pogey Park. Adrian Serioux

Are you Serious, poor Adam.

The songs as I remember good old Holland were rather short in lyrics,but very effective.

I guess you have to go back to your drawing board.

Now talking about being serious,you may try it just for once,hell you may even respect yourself for it.

sung to James Blunt's

"You're Beautiful"

You suck. As all the members of the U-sector know we already have a whole catalogue of songs to chant for Adrian Serioux (and most of them are actually good ones, from artists people have actually heard of). In fact we will be discussing with MLSE the possibility of releasing a CD of Serioux chants to be sold at the supporter's group merchandise booth. Chants like the one above written from alleged Canadian soccer fans which do nothing but ridicule Canadian soccer players have no place on the CD - or on this board for that matter.

Archived