Who Will Play Against Austria?

Ian Kennett

Who will Frank Yallop select for the Austria match? He said that the USL players would have a tough time making the team. In addition, Serioux and de Rosario will be in MLS training camps (I wonder if they will be given the "day off").

Yallop will probably choose about 16 players given that he will not have the luxury of a 2 week camp this time.

Of the following guys, who will/should he choose?

G - Hirschfeld, Fernandes, Stamatopoulos

D - Stalteri, Hughes, McKenna, Klukowski, Jazic, Hastings, Nsaliwa, Reda

M - de Guzman, Grande, Imhof, Hutchinson, Bernier, Brennan,

F - Radzinski, Occean, Gerba, Hume, Friend, Ademolu

Note: If Yallop calls Fernandes, Nsaliwa (assuming he would accept), and Hughes, he will have seen just about everybody in the player pool which would be a very good thing.

How many and who will he select? Your ideas?

Cheers!

A call up for Tam Nsaliwa and Dan Fernandes are far over-due. If they both accept, I'd call them both. If not Kenny S and Reda are capable fill-ins.

I think this Austria game is another good bench mark. Given that I would like to see DeRosario and Serioux as I think both are important parts of our team.

I couldn't settle on 16 — it doesn't leave much wiggle room if someone gets injured in camp or during the match. I picked 17 and that was as tight as I could narrow it.

So: Hirschfeld, Fernandes, Stalteri, McKenna, Klukowski, Nsaliwa, Brennan, Simpson, Serioux, Hutchinson, DeGuzman (Julian), Grande, Bernier, DeRosario, Occéan, Radzinski, Hume.

That's what I would do. I've pretty much given up guessing what FY will do.

cheers,

matthew

Pretty good side Matthew, and agree its time for Fernandes and Nsaliwa to be brought back into the fold. I think he will play a 4-3-3 so I would like to see Gerba up front as well as a sub for Occean. So I would drop Simpson as I suspect you will see one of Kluklowski or Brennan at left back. And the midfield will be 3 with Hutchinson, DeGuzman and one more of Serioux, Bernier or Grande....its also possible to drop one of those latter 3 and keep Simpson. The other possible player is Ledgerwood who may get the nod ahead of Simpson.

I would like to see both Fernandes and Nsaliwa called. Fernandes, mainly because he is our top young prospect at the moment, to expand our keeper pool. My opinion is we need Nsaliwa at the back to compliment McKenna. McKenna, Reda & Gervais are all too pedestrian. We need some speed back there. I hope Nsaliwa and Yallop can put aside their differences.

So, I would go with a starting lineup of Hirschfeld, Stalteri, McKenna, Nsaliwa, Klukowski, Julian, Hutchinson, Serioux, DeRo, Radzinski & Friend. Yallop was very complimentary of Friend in a TV interview after the US game and may want to look at him again vs. European competition.

As for subs, I would like to see Ledgerwood get in (say for Stalteri), Jazic (say for Nsaliwa with Kluka moving to the centre)is probably going to play, to showcase him to Austrian clubs if nothing else, Bernier or Imhof for one of the mids, and Hume with either Occean or Gerba going on for Radzinski & Friend. If they call Fernandes, give him half. If not let Hircshfeld play 90.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

No ****.

I think the time for evaluations, excuses and finding silver linings is over. I also think that Austria has no interest in playing an experimental Canada youth squad so I'm sure that the two federations have an understanding as to what the Austrians are "requiring" of Canada.

Good news for us. This'll finaly be a real squad for the 1st time since WCQ bombed out and a test for the program, Frankie, and our lads.

Have to give this a good long think. The timing is awkward for a lot of the players who'll either be wrapping up seasons, just coming into season, or fighting to stay on the happy side of promotion/relegation.

Expecting an all EURO lineup plus Yallop poster-boy de Rossario but that's as far as I'm going to go for now.

If Kenny S. isn't invited....

I expect an all euro lineup too, possible NA base players would be DeRo, Serioux, Sutton and Braz.

DeRo and Serioux are currently training with MLS teams so there's no difference between them and our Scandinavian players. Sutton and Braz were among the dfence that shutout the USA so maybe FY will call them too.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

A call up for Tam Nsaliwa and Dan Fernandes are far over-due. If they both accept, I'd call them both. If not Kenny S and Reda are capable fill-ins.

I think this Austria game is another good bench mark. Given that I would like to see DeRosario and Serioux as I think both are important parts of our team.

I couldn't settle on 16 — it doesn't leave much wiggle room if someone gets injured in camp or during the match. I picked 17 and that was as tight as I could narrow it.

So: Hirschfeld, Fernandes, Stalteri, McKenna, Klukowski, Nsaliwa, Brennan, Simpson, Serioux, Hutchinson, DeGuzman (Julian), Grande, Bernier, DeRosario, Occéan, Radzinski, Hume.

cheers,

matthew

I'd be surprised to see Tam play a friendly for Yallop.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Me too.

Regardless, it's time that they put whatever squabbles they have behind them (I don't care who's fault it is) and get Tam back into the program. This goes for Daniel Fernandes, as well.

On paper, both players are definitely nat'l team material.

I'd like to be able to see what they can do after so many years away.

Hirschfeld (Fernandez)

Stalteri, Nsliwa, Mckenna, Klukowski (jazic, ledgerwood)

bernier, hutch, deguz (grande, brennan)

hume, dero, occean

looks like were all in pretty close agreement as to who our best 11 are. this time, yallop has no excuse to significantly divert from these lineups.

In January against the US guessing the line up was a matter of seeing who is available then picking a squad. For this match it is more of a situation where you figure out who the nominal starting eleven are and delete those who are not available.

Forewards: Radzinski and Occean would be the nominal starting strikers, until yesterday I thought that Radz's club status was iffy and he might decline now I think he is secure enough to attend. Add Hume and Friend as backups, they both play the same roles as the starters and so are interchangeable with Radz and Occean.

Midfielders: Recently we seem to have been using a diamond formation, Brennan on the left, Bernier or Serioux on the right, DeRosario up high and Deguzeman (if available) or Grande down low. Brennan is with a new team and may not show as he needs to secure his starting spot, Serioux is trying to earn a spot in the MLS and probalbly won't attend. Deguzeman may or may not attend as his club spot is hardly secure in the end I'm not so sure he'll be there. That leaves DeRosario, Bernier and Grande. Add Hutchinson, Imhoff and Legerwood(for a look).

Defence: Over the past few years this has gone from the strength of the team to a black hole. The regular starters (or at least my guess at them) would be Jazic, McKenna, Reda and Stalteri. Luckily Stalteri indicated in one of his intrviews that he intends to be there for the game. Reda is going back to Songdal and may have to secure his starting spot there before going off to internationals. First thing, get Klukowski and put him in with McKenna in the centre to give some speed. Beyond that I'm at a loss, hope that FY makes up with Tam? bring in Simpson or Pozniak? drop back a midfielder or two?

Keepers: The starters seem to be Sutton and Hirschfeld, Sutton is out of season and in North America, I don't think he will be called. I seem to sense a strange vibe from Lars on the subject of the national team, I think he will be called but I not sure he will accept. I would expect Lars or Kenny as the starter and Fernandes as the back up(he is the only one currently in form).

So a sixteen man squad: Hirschfeld, Stalteri, Mckenna, Klukowski, Jazic, Bernier, DeRosario, Hutchinson, Grande, Occean, Radzinski, Fernandes, Imhoff, Ledgerwood, Hume, Friend.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

True enough, but if I don't have him on my 'what would I do' lineup, I think it's hypocritical to get all enraged when he doesn't get called.

Klukowski's my guy to pair with McKenna. Which is why I had Simpson as left-sided cover. With Reda's club future seemingly a little in the air and Gervais out of season, I really, really hope Klukowski's in the middle again. II like Simpson as a change of pace off the bench as well.

I'd like another forward up top, but with 16 there isn't a lot of choice. I figure Hume is enough because you could push DeRo up further or change things in the midfield.

I also like having good two-way mids if we're only going with three, which is why I wanted Grande there ahead of Imhof.

Anyway my starters would be:

--------------------Hirschfeld

Stalteri----McKenna---Klukowski----Brennan

------Hutchinson---Serioux----DeGuzman

Radzinski-------------------------------DeRosario

------------------------Occéan

do you guys really think Radz is gonna be a big part of the next World Cup Qualifying process?? I guess thats a big question mark,, if he's not gonna be,, I'd almost rather see Occean paired with Dero and either Hume or Gerba so these guys can get on the same page and play as many games together as possible.. Maybe I'm wrong though and Radz will still be playing high quality in a couple years..

I think Radzinski still has the wheels and is still playing at premiership level. Do I think he will still be in the mix in two years time when WCQ starts, I guess the answer is yes. Will he still be playing in the premiership, probably not. I think he's got 4 more years left in him and having a veteren like him in the mix will be useful in WCQ even if it is coming off the bench. Sure, if Hume and Peters and Johnson and Lombardo develop over the coming 2 to 4 years, we may not need him. But as things stand, I think he is useful.

As for Kluklowski, why do people see him as a centre back? I think he has played a few games their when injuries required it, and that was as a couple of years ago. And in general, full-backs don't move inside...although sometimes centre backs move outside. Central defensive midfielders occassionaly move back or the other way around. There is big difference between playing in the middle and outside. And with Kluklowski, I have watched him play in the Portugal match as well as seen snippets of matches with is club side. One, he is not fast so how he brings the speed to the inside I am not really sure...and two, he is not an acceptional defender. I think he plays his role well, he is good on the ball, and he can get forward to support which makes him a decent left back but not a stellar defender. Nsaliwa in my opinion by the virtue of him playing that position for his club is a much better bet....but at this point, its only a bet.

Also, many people in this post seem to assume we are playing 4-4-2...it seems pretty clear to me that Yallop has moved to a 4-3-3 formation....so it doesn't make sense to give 4-4-2 line ups unless you give explanation why Yallop is going to switch back.

Yallop should call Nsaliwa, Fernandes, and JD2. Jonathan will likely refuse given that he's young and needs his rest. (Where's the smiley face for that one?) Frank should also give some training time to the 87s. Here it is:

-----------------Fernandes------------------

Stalteri----Nsaliwa-------McKenna----Klukowski

------Hutchinson----Imhof--------DeGuzman-----

-----Peters-------Radzinski--------Hume-------

Begovic, Legerwood, Edgar, Gyaki, Simpson

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

As for Kluklowski, why do people see him as a centre back?

A few reasons...

1) As a youth, he played defensive midfield, so maybe his natural move was really to stay inside. Just because a club moves a player somewhere, doesn't necessarily mean that this is his best position.

2) Whether he is solid defensively or not is up for debate. If he isn't, then maybe he should be moved back to midfield and not on the backline -- in or out.

3) I would think that his lack of speed is more of a concern outside than in. He may be fast enough for the Belgian League but speedy CONCACAF/ Central American teams are faster.

4) His great ball-handling skills would be much appreciated in our central defense. We haven't had this since the Tony Menezes days.

5) In our situation, we simply have good depth on the left-side already (Brennan, Jazic, Simpson, maybe Ledgerwood). Out central cog needs much more help. It is possible that Mike could offer more here.

Just another point of view. Cheers!

What worries me the most is that our effort against the US will negatively influence Yallop's selection and many of the players from that game will also be selected for this one. Granted it was a good performance, but there are many Euro-based players that deserve a shot for this one.

My lineup would be:

-----------Fernandez----------

Stalteri--Imhof--Mckenna--Klukowski

-De Guzman--Hutchinson--De Rosario-

-----Hume--Occean--Radzinski-----

Subs: Hirschfeld, Nsaliwa, Ledgerwood, Grande, Friend, Bernier

I'd like to see how Imhof does at the central D position. Or defensive midfield is becoming pretty crowded and I wonder if Imhof could play on the back line. If not, things can be switched around for the second half.

Also, many of the previous posts have included Simpson and I think he's been injured for a little while.

No offence to the kids, but I'd really like to not</u> see Peters or Johnson. They're good kids but I think there are others more deserving of a callup right now.

My line up would probably look like that:

-----------Hirschfield------------

Stalteri-Klukowski-Mckenna-Brennan

---Bernier-Hutchison-De Guzman---

------------DeRosario------------

----------Gerba-Radzinski--------

Backup: Grande, Occéan, Imhoff, Sutton, Jazic.

They're are a lot of if in that one. First of all this is if Dwayne deRosario is available, since he is in the middle of training camp in MLS. This is also if Brennan wants to come since he is with a new club, and finally this is if Jazic has the time to come, since he is looking for a club.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

I'd like to see how Imhof does at the central D position.

I've been thinking this exact same thing, for some time now -- great idea!

I think Daniel is excellent defensively, with great vision, determination and calmness (a la Dasovic). Since he doesn't add much to our offensive buildup, I would agree with trying him on the backline (where he began his career -- I believe).

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

I'd like to see how Imhof does at the central D position.

I've been thinking this exact same thing, for some time now -- great idea!

I think Daniel is excellent defensively, with great vision, determination and calmness (a la Dasovic). Since he doesn't add much to our offensive buildup, I would agree with trying him on the backline (where he began his career -- I believe).

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

As for Kluklowski, why do people see him as a centre back?

Not to parrot David C, but my main thing is that McKenna is the captain, so I pretty much start with him in the team. I’m not sold on him with Reda or Gervais as a permanent solution. I would much rather Hutchinson in the midfield (and having him pairing McKenna doesn’t even seem to be a consideration around here right now). We also have a lot of leftbacks, so I don’t see the point in starting Klukowski (and I think he’s one of our best players) ahead of Brennan or Simpson or Jazic, esp when our 4-3-3 limits the need for a real left-sided mid.

Now Tam Nsaliwa could certainly be the answer here, but I don’t think I’ve seen him play in the centre of defence since the 2001 WYC in Argentina. Where of course he started being paired with Klukowski in the midfield. And until he gets involved again I’m not counting on him being the saviour.

Klukowski is faster than Reda or Gervais (I think, seems like it anyway) and I’ve been impressed with what I’ve seen in the middle of the park.

I still think Radzinski has it in him. He was great against Spain. We’re two years away from games that matter. He may not be there for us in 2010, but if we pots a few goals in the summer of 2008 I’m down with that. I think Johnson or Hume are naturals for that spot in a 4-3-3, but for now if we have everyone available, we might as well use our best and I think Radzinski is that.

Imhof as a central defender is a very interesting idea. His defending is fantastic and he’s got decent pace. I’m sure it’s the longest of long shots, but Ugo Ihemelu is incredibly fast and very strong. He’s raw, but if he ever decides a future with the U.S. isn’t in the cards, he’d fit our needs well.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Ihemelu played against Norway 2 weeks ago.

Yeah, but he's an incredible long shot to make that 'A' team in time for this year's World Cup.

He's more of a long-term prospect. And, yes, he seems to have decided on the US, which makes sense.

Im hoping Yallop plays the 4-3-3. We seem to be getting better results with it.

My XI:

-------Hirschfeld

Stalteri--McKenna--Nsaliwa--Klukouski

-----DeGuzman--Hutchinson--Brennan

----Radzinski--Occean--DeRosario

subs: That ones getting hard, but If Fernandez isnt there, somthing is definatley wrong with other countries knocking on his door.

Archived