Metros trialists Serioux shows well (Jazic ?)

cyris2k

Florida notes: Metros work out trialists

By Jonathan Nierman / MLSnet.com Staff

BRADENTON, Fla. -- The MetroStars have welcomed several international trialists to their preseason camp in Bradenton, led by Canadian international Adrian Serioux

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20060208&content_id=51864&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

http://metrostars.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20060208&content_id=51800&vkey=news_met&fext=.jsp&team=met

Probably a lateral move as far as league level. I think he will have a better chance of being a regular starter and not have to deal with the excessive politics that are part and parcel of playing in England. I wonder what the difference in salary will be though as I think the Championship pays much better than MLS although Serioux was on his first contract at Millwall and probably at the low end of their pay scale.

Regarding Jazic I have been checking the Kuban website and he doesn't seem to have rejoined the team in their Turkish training camp. It seems like both Kuban and Jazic have decided to part and Kuban is probably anxious to get rid of the one year of his salary he still has on his contract. I expect there is a good chance we might see him sign with a mid-table Austrian team.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Probably a lateral move as far as league level. I think he will have a better chance of being a regular starter and not have to deal with the excessive politics that are part and parcel of playing in England. I wonder what the difference in salary will be though as I think the Championship pays much better than MLS although Serioux was on his first contract at Millwall and probably at the low end of their pay scale.

You're bang on about the money issue. When you read one of the articles (clip below), Johnston specifically states that Serioux essentially fits their need not only in ability but also due to their cap situation. The fact that he's a free transfer (as opposed to a couple of other foreign trialists) is an added bonus.

The Metros have lacked an experienced and physical ball winner at defensive midfield in recent years and Johnston is hopeful he has found his man in the Canadian international

"You see he was very active," he said. "He was closing people down. That was his first day. He's very athletic and he's got youth. And again, with what we have in front of us (in the salary cap), his salary is not high."

When one factors in his family situation, I don't think dollars is the first priority for Serioux. The oppportunity to play a good level of soccer and be somewhat close to home is likely his primary motivator.

As it sits right now the Metros have three of four senior international slots filled (not including Serioux). The opportunity to fill that slot is there for AS, but as we've seen with MLS, if he's going to occupy an SI spot he has to be a starter. Luckily for him D-mid is exactly the hole they're looking to fill.

An update from one of the best writers that covers MLS suggests that the Metros still want Jazic but problems have arisen with his former club. The following are the two paragraphs (albiet far apart in the article) that pertain to Jazic. Obviously Mo like Canucks. :D

Article with Jazic notes

The real concern for Johnston is left back, where there is no established player on the roster. Canadian Ante Jazic is the player Johnston would like to sign, but issues with Jazic's last club have delayed his arrival. Seth Stammler has seen time at left back and has struggled while Carlos Mendes has been serviceable there ... If the Metros don't sign Ante Jazic, (Steve) Jolley could become the Metros next left back option. The question then would be whether Jolley would be willing to play for a much lower salary than the $90,000 salary slot he held with FC Dallas last season.

The article also mentions that Serioux is a shoo-in if they get him signed.

Midfielders: Mike Magee has been the talk of the preseason. His form could lead Johnston to find a starting role for him. Canadian Adrian Serioux is the real deal and will start in defensive midfield if the Metros sign him as expected. Veteran Mark Lisi has also looked solid in camp and is playing his way into a starting role in Johnston's five-man midfield.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Probably a lateral move as far as league level.

The MLS is more like a league 1 level than Championship, it's certainly not lateral.

If anything it's a step up for him though since he hasn't been playing at all, so hopefully it sticks.

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

The MLS is more like a league 1 level than Championship, it's certainly not lateral.

If anything it's a step up for him though since he hasn't been playing at all, so hopefully it sticks.

*lol* Not even close. League 1 isn't at MLS standard. Top Colaship teams are better than MLS teams, but the bottom table colaship teams would struggle in MLS. MLS teams all have the same salary cap and are all at basically the same level. The differences in MLS are based on form. The gulf between the haves and the have nots in the colaship are extreme.

jRkW4bu2.jpg

http://metrostars.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20060215&content_id=52264&vkey=news_met&fext=.jsp&team=met

quote:Serioux is the newest piece in an already deep MetroStars midfield that includes Amado Guevara, Chris Henderson, Mark Lisi, Elie Ikangu, Peter Canero, Blake Camp and Eddie Gaven. Preseason will surely be intense with so many players vying for a starting role. Mo Johnston has said that he wants to have several options at each position to help drive the competitive fires in the players.

Guevara Close to Getting Green Card

http://nynj.matchnight.com/metroindex.cfm?page=ARTICLE&show=304

quote:Should Guevera's paperwork be finalized, the former Honduran international will not count as a senior international for roster purposes. The MetroStars would then have two free international slots and four transitional international slots which they could fill.

With Adrian Serioux all but assured one of those international spots, this could be the Metros clearing the way for Ante Jazic to join the team as well.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Guevara Close to Getting Green Card

http://nynj.matchnight.com/metroindex.cfm?page=ARTICLE&show=304

With Adrian Serioux all but assured one of those international spots, this could be the Metros clearing the way for Ante Jazic to join the team as well.

It could be a possibility, but the Metrostars are also looking to deal Eddie Gaven for Todd Dunivant who is a left back on the LA Galaxy and a burdgening US national teamer. Personally, I hope the deal falls through in order to make Jazic's arrival more likely.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

It could be a possibility, but the Metrostars are also looking to deal Eddie Gaven for Todd Dunivant who is a left back on the LA Galaxy and a burdgening US national teamer. Personally, I hope the deal falls through in order to make Jazic's arrival more likely.

Yeah, I've been following that deal as well, and like you, I hope that Dunivant doesn't go to the Metros.

It'd be nice to have another team in MLS with two Canadians on the starting roster (Houston being the other).

From an interview with Alexi Lalas (Metrostars GM):

http://nynj.matchnight.com/metroindex.cfm?page=ARTICLE&show=315

Interviewer: Alexi, Adrian Serioux appears to be the most serious target of the trialists. What does he bring to the team and at what stage of the signing process is he at?

Alexi: Adrian is a hammer. He kicks anything that moves and has an efficient grace with the ball. With Amado and Youri on the field we have arguably two of the most creative and skillful players in the league, but you won't find a bone-crunching tackle between the two of them. We needed some ferocity and bite in our midfield to compliment the "artistic" side and we think Adrian is just what the doctor ordered. My only concern is finding someone who can translate Canadian.

It's looking good for Adrian. Good luck to him.

Archived