National team games in Vancouver

aussoccerfan

Got this info via email re: media conference today in Victoria:

quote:Canada [women] will play the Netherlands at Centennial Stadium (UVic campus), Saturday afternoon, March 4. Tickets go on sale this Saturday (February 4) at All Sports, Soccerworld and the Lower Island Soccer Association office. At the same media conference ticket info was announced for the Canada vs. Brazil men's U20 friendly, May 22, also at Centennial Stadium. Here's the interesting twist, tickets for the Brazil match, for which there is already a big demand, will first go on sale AT the women's game. It was also announced that both friendlies WILL be televised by Sportsnet. Andy Sharpe, CSA president, who was at the media conference, announced that if the 2007 men's U20 World Cup is a success that the CSA will bid on hosting the 2011 women's World Cup.

quote:Originally posted by aussoccerfan

Here in Halifax we've only had 2 snowstorms this year. This weekend it's supposed to be 8c and rain.

Well, it is 10c in Vancouver right now and there have been no snow storms that I know of.

I assume you are being facetious.

http://www.vancouverplus.ca/portal/feature/60072/winter_facts.jsp

Victoria, British Columbia, is the Canadian city with the lowest average annual snowfall.

Vancouver, British Columbia experiences the fewest days a year below freezing.

It may be warmer there in the summer, but it aint now.

quote:Originally posted by Obinna

C'mon now that's a no brainer.

1. Vancouver is a soccer hot-bed

2. Climate allows for games almost year round(same reason most national team training camps are there)

Those huge crowds for actual world cup qaulifers. About 6K....screw Montreal.

But better enjoy those games while you can, cause after 2007--they'll all be in Toronto.

Paddy is in the right here.

The Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island has the mildest climate in Canada, any knowkedgeable person knows that.

Hey aussoccerfan:

Question: Do you guys run Indoor leagues in March?

Answer: Yes you do.

Question: Why?

Answer: It's too cold to play outside.

Think about it---if it's too cold for your provincal leauges to play outdoors, then it's too cold for our national teams to play friendlies. Simple.

Halifax may have the warmest tempurature annually....but Vancouver/Victoria has the mildest climate in winter and spring months. and it's usually in those seasons when they are awarded matches. Ever notice that games out East are mostly in the summer or fall?

In BC they play all year round my friend, that's the reason why they have strong soccer programs. (the population doesn't hurt either)

...Probably why they are so good at rugby too.

quote:Originally posted by Obinna

Paddy is in the right here.

The Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island has the mildest climate in Canada, any knowkedgeable person knows that.

Hey aussoccerfan:

Question: Do you guys run Indoor leagues in March?

Answer: Yes you do.

Question: Why?

Answer: It's too cold to play outside.

Think about it---if it's too cold for your provincal leauges to play outdoors, then it's too cold for our national teams to play friendlies. Simple.

Halifax may have the warmest tempurature annually....but Vancouver/Victoria has the mildest climate in winter and spring months. and it's usually in those seasons when they are awarded matches. Ever notice that games out East are mostly in the summer or fall?

In BC they play all year round my friend, that's the reason why they have strong soccer programs. (the population doesn't hurt either)

...Probably why they are so good at rugby too.

It's been really warm here this winter. It can get pretty warm here in March.

its been really warm all over Canada this winter..even my old stompin grounds in the prairies believe it or not... That being said, if your gonna have an international late winter or early spring, I think Van is the logical choice as you have the least chance of any weather problems creeping up last minute...

Archived