Sign in to follow this  
Richard

Canadian Allan Koch now head coach at Baker U.

Might as well have threads for coaches as well: after leading Whitecaps 2 to the WC USL finals last year, Alan Koch unexpectedly took a position at FC Cincinnati a few months ago and was named head coach today after John Harkes was surprisingly fired.

Wow, what the hell is Alan Koch doing?? He left the WFC 2 for ambition to become an MLS coach and thought he'd stay at Fc Cincinnati until they bought their way to MLS and now this.  Seems he's taking his career backwards towards University again

I think you missed the point of Dubs post.  He is now head coach at FC CIncinnati.  Forget about the title from 2006.

Me thinks he is crazy like a fox!  Lots of exposure in Cincy if he does well, and maybe follow them to MLS.

I think a new thread should've been created rather than bump a 10 yr old thread or edit the thread title.  Thread title is very misleading.  Glad Alan Koch is still at FC Cincinnati

Edited by nolbertos

This board has a long history of not only posts but bumping posts like this with the first known discussion about the player or coach (see the Cyle Larin thread). It's neat to me that we have history on Koch from 11 years ago.

Koch getting dumped on by anonymous former players in this article in the Athletic.
"He doesn't have an identity"
"It was difficult and chaotic playing for him"
"His incompetence really came out in big games"
"Watching Cincinnati play in 2018 was a soul crushing experience". 
https://theathletic.com/967261/2019/05/08/seeds-of-alan-kochs-firing-were-sown-early-in-fc-cincinnatis-usl-tenure/?source=dailyemail

Those are some absolutely brutal quotes. Strange to read, as I had heard nothing but good things about him. I thought he did a great job at WFC2.

Real classy!  How much turn over from last season was there??  Maybe 6-8 guys left from USL days??  Nobody was singing this song last year yet the article hints at it being a long term problem.

Now most of the team has no history with him and no loyalty.  I guess management figure the coach has to mold them into a team/build chemisty etc, but they didnt give him much of a chance to do it with almost a completely new roster.  

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2019 at 2:06 AM, masster said:

Koch getting dumped on by anonymous former players in this article in the Athletic.
"He doesn't have an identity"
"It was difficult and chaotic playing for him"
"His incompetence really came out in big games"
"Watching Cincinnati play in 2018 was a soul crushing experience". 
https://theathletic.com/967261/2019/05/08/seeds-of-alan-kochs-firing-were-sown-early-in-fc-cincinnatis-usl-tenure/?source=dailyemail

Those are some absolutely brutal quotes. Strange to read, as I had heard nothing but good things about him. I thought he did a great job at WFC2.

With his track record of success, "incompetent" does not sound like the words from someone competent to judge!

Anyway, does anyone know what Koch's plans are - stay in pro or return to the college ranks? If he's patient and seeks it, I would expect he'd be able to get a nice Div I job, but he'd have to wait until November or so when they would open up. He'd also have to be the favourite to replace the 1st CPL coach fired if he wants to come home...

Edited by BCM