Metrostars confirm interest in Serioux and Jazic

Andrew W

Mo Johnston is keen on both Serioux and Jazic although it seems they'd compete for one spot.

Metros like Canucks

Metros tab two at foreign player camp

By Dylan Butler / MLSnet.com Staff

E. RUTHERFORD, N.J. - The Bradenton sweepstakes are over and MetroStars coach Mo Johnston has two winners: French midfielder Elie Ikangu and a player to be named later.

They have been selected among a group of 23 foreign players who trained for 90 minutes a day at the Giants Stadium practice bubble from Monday through Thursday. The final session Friday was held on the main field at Giants Stadium.

Ikangu, a 19-year-old defensive midfielder, and another player, whom Johnston declined to identify because the club has yet to put in a bid with the league for a discovery player, will likely join the MetroStars in Bradenton, Fla. for preseason training from Feb. 6-20.

"It was interesting. It was good practice," Johnston said Friday. "It's always good to see them in a different light so we put them on the big field. There were a few plusses and a few minuses."

One player not making the cut is Chelsea reserve fullback/midfielder Joe Keenan.

"I just see different things for my team," Johnston said. "He's done well but I don't see him in my plans."

Ikangu has played with Newcastle's Charles N'Zogbia at French side Le Havre and was compared to Chelsea's Claude Makelele by Johnston.

But Ikangu is not quite as physically strong as Makelele and that's the reason he didn't stick with English League Two (fourth tier) side Darlington or English Premiership side Middlesbrough, where he was on trial earlier this month.

"Middlesbrough had him in but they felt he was too small for the Premiership," Johnston said. "Hopefully we can build him up. He's got all the tools, he's very aware about everything that is going on around him. He's impressed the whole week."

Ikangu said he is looking forward to possibly training with World Cup champion Youri Djorkaeff.

"When I was young, I saw him on TV and he won the World Cup," Ikangu said. "Maybe I will now be training with him every day, it's very exciting.

"I can learn from training with a good player like him," he added.

One player who will be in Bradenton is Canadian international Adrian Serioux, who started for Canada in a 0-0 tie against the United States last Sunday. The defensive midfielder last played for Millwall of the English Coca-Cola Championship.

"He's very steady, he's 6-foot-2, his endurance is good, he gets up and down the field, he works both ends," Johnston said of Serioux. "Hopefully, we get to see him in our own environment, against MLS teams and we'll make a judgment."

Johnston is also hoping to have Ante Jazic in as well. Like Serioux, Jazic could also be that defensive midfielder Johnston has been looking for since Michael Bradley left for Heerenveen of the Dutch Eredivisie.

Unlike Serioux, Jazic, who played the full 90 minutes vs. the USA, is tied to a club, playing for Kuban Krasnodar of the Russian Premier League.

Johnston would love to have Haitian youth international Johnny Exantus come to Bradenton, as well. But the striker, who once scored four goals against Jamaica in a Caribbean Football Union Under-17 qualifier, is only 16 years old.

The club can't sign him to a contract because of the country's child labor laws and if he is put into the Generation adidas pool, he could be selected by any of MLS' 12 teams.

"This week was a big week for me," Exantus said through a translator. "I thought I did well during the week and I'm excited."

Exantus played for the Metros U-17 squad and scored the winning overtime goal to lift the club to the Super Y-League North American championship.

"He's an exciting young kid. He's fast, obviously he's 16 years old," Johnston said. "When you have kids like that, you can hopefully build them into men and become good soccer players."

Dylan Butler is a contributor to MLSnet.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Soccer or its clubs.

That bit about Jazic being a defensive midfielder in the same vein as Serioux might just be speculation on the part of the author, who might not be that familiar with Jazic. He & Serioux don't really play the same position so its difficult to see how they would compete for a roster spot, at least position-wise.

It will be interesting to see they can come to terms with Kuban for Jazic's services.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

That bit about Jazic being a defensive midfielder in the same vein as Serioux might just be speculation on the part of the author, who might not be that familiar with Jazic. He & Serioux don't really play the same position so its difficult to see how they would compete for a roster spot, at least position-wise.

It will be interesting to see they can come to terms with Kuban for Jazic's services.

You're right in that it seems to be some speculation by the author.

Given the senior international tag both of them would carry it's likely that they'd be competing for a roster spot only in terms of the quota. That said the Metros might like to have a look at Jazic for left back. It would likely be an upgrade over such luminaries as Jeff Parke.

Anyone else get the feeling that with the imminent arrival of Toronto next year, Canadian players are being scouted a little more closely? Maybe just a coincidence but who knows. :D

I checked Kuban's website a few days ago and Jazic was not on their Turkish training camp roster. This article explains why and obviously Kuban has decided to let him go. They might try to get some transfer money but I doubt they would insist on this if MLS doesn't give in because they did not pay a transfer fee for Jazic and would probably be happy to lose his contract. As far as position goes I think defensive mid is Jazic's best position. He actually played offensive mid for Kuban. He can play very offensively and is a very good ball winner, however, I find his crosses and passing a bit inaccurate for an offensive midfielder. As a defender he is usually solid but sometimes takes a few too many chances. I think his best position is defensive mid because he can defend and win the ball very well but also has some offensive capabilities, ie. he is a defensive mid who can move the ball forward very well. Jazic is versatile and has usually played where clubs need him. Canada and Rapid needed a left back so he played there. Kuban had a solid defense but weak midfield so he played offensive mid. If there is a decision between Serioux and Jazic it will depend what the Metrostars are looking for. Serioux is not a youth player by any measure but is still 3 years younger than Jazic. Jazic at the moment in my opinion is a bit more solid than Serioux but Serioux has far more natural athletic ability and potential. If the Metrostarts are looking for a defensively dependable defensive mid with decent offensive capability then they will choose Jazic. If they are looking for a more creative and athletic player but who also takes a few more risks they will choose Serioux. Personally if I was the Metrostars manager, if my primary concern was with this year I would choose Jazic but if I was thinking long term I would take Serioux. I am not sure about Serioux's injury history but Jazic's would also worry me a bit if I were signing him.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

Anyone else get the feeling that with the imminent arrival of Toronto next year, Canadian players are being scouted a little more closely? Maybe just a coincidence but who knows. :D

Given that the Blizzard contract will be filtered through MLS anyway, it make sense to me to sign at least a few now. I'm actually surprised they haven't waived restrictions on Canadians in order to get MLS fans and media familiar with more of these guys. Regardless, I hope Reda can land somewhere too. It's a bit of a reverse catch-22 for those guys who are playing MLS because as long as Yallop is the manager, they've likely cemented their place in the national team a la DeRo, which should then help solidify their club careers as well.

Archived