Canadians abroad: January 27 - February 2, 2006

DJT

Guest Jeffery S.

Big match for Julian de G tonight in Mestalla as Depor goes to Valencia to play the remaining minutes of their Copa del Rey quarter final second leg (last minutes of 1st half and all of 2nd in a closed stadium, 1-0 for Depor 1st leg, Valencia up 1-0 in this one, exciting set up). Looks like he'll be playing, at least that is what reports suggest.

Julian's chances for more playing time have gone up even more now that Leonel Scaloni, a captain of Depor, has been sent to West Ham in his search for more playing time. Scaloni, who I see the BBC calls a defender, is really more effective as a versatile mid, meaning he was competing with Julian for a spot. With Scaloni gone, Valeron out for the year, and Victor in doubt (his transfer to Liverpool fell through, they picked up Fowler instead), I would not be surprised to see them push Julian forward a bit more to support the attack. Where I feel he is actually doing better this year.

Just to add that if Depor goes through they'll face Espanyol in semis, 2nd leg here, just up the hill from me. So a match I am looking forward to even though there are no calendar dates for it because of delays in many cup eliminations. Perhaps they'd play on the March 1 national team friendly date. Anyways, Força Depor!

Won't see Julian tonight on tv as I think I'll be going to Camp Nou to see if Barça can come back from the 4-2 loss to Zaragoza and move into a classic semi-final vs. Real Madrid. Should be a great one as well.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by canuck-fan

Julian plays the full 46', picking up a yellow in so doing. Depor draws 1-1 with Valencia, thus going through to the semi-final round of the Copa Del Rey 2-1 on aggregate. They'll meet Espanyol in the semi, with Real Madrid and Real Zaragoza meeting in the other semi.

Didn't see it, only highlights, but Julian's yellow was late as he came of the wall to challenge on a Valencia free kick too early. He got good ratings from the papers, so I am pleased for him.

Depor goal on a totally b.s. penalty in their favour, just as Zaragoza went through on a scandalous first half red shown to Ronaldinho on a foul that wouldn't even be a card in many leagues on most days (body bump to a player after he had passed the ball). How were we supposed to come back from two goals behind a man down? I am totally hoarse today with a huge headache after watching us get knocked out on goal difference (very exciting match though, worth my 30 Euros). But happy for Julian, and looking forward to seeing them here vs. Espanyol in the semis, no date for that yet as Espanyol has UEFA on the expected date, Feb 15.

Guest Jeffery S.

We missed this on Tuesday night: Helmond Sport with M. de Jong playing 90 was knocked out of the Dutch Cup in quarter finals, losing 0-2 to Roda Kerkrade. Was still a good run for them.

Semis in Holland are Ajax-Roda and PSV-AZ.

Well, since no one else has mentioned anything more about 'Spurs last visit to Craven Cottage and the replay was on last night I'll just pipe in a bit.

Lee out at left full back and Kelly in. As Kelly has missed the transfer window, and Lee looking shaky Jol looks to have made up his mind about how things are to be and Diesel comes away the strongest.

Trying to think when's the last time I saw an American player out-muscle anything? Let's see now.... oh, yeah. Last night. Bocanegra bullied through Kelly there like he was just a down filled pillow.

Huh? Wonder how the Kelly fan club feel now back in London.

P.S. Dawson and Diesel are one mind on the field. They're brilliant. If we can get half of that understanding in MNT matchs we're going to be all right.

P.S.S. Craven Cottage is gathering up some pretty fine scalps this season. Some pretty, fine, scalps. Evolving playing or no, Radz. has got to net something and soon. Maybe at Old Trafford, we'll see.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Well, since no one else has mentioned anything more about 'Spurs last visit to Craven Cottage and the replay was on last night I'll just pipe in a bit.

Lee out at left full back and Kelly in. As Kelly has missed the transfer window, and Lee looking shaky Jol looks to have made up his mind about how things are to be and Diesel comes away the strongest.

No that's not it. Unfortunately Lee's father passed away in Korea and he has gone back for the funeral & to be with the family.

Archived