Canada U-20 MNT Announces Brazil Games

loyola

Men's Youth (U-20) Team

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Canada U-20 Men’s National Team Announces Brazil Games

Ottawa, Ontario - The Canadian Soccer Association has finalized an agreement with the Confederaçao Brasileira de Futebol (Brazilian Football Confederation) that will see Brazil’s U-20 National Team travel to Canada for a series of games against Canada’s U-20 Men’s National Team in May 2006.

The first match of the series has been earmarked for Edmonton’s Commonwealth Stadium on May 19, 2006. The second will be played three days later on May 22 at Victoria’s Centennial Stadium on the campus of the University of Victoria.

Negotiations regarding a third match in Vancouver are close to being finalised and information regarding this date will be released when known.

Specific details regarding the kick-off times and tickets for this series will be announced shortly.

“Any time you have the opportunity to compete with the world's top soccer nation it is an honour as well as a massive test,” said Canadian Head Coach Dale Mitchell.

“We are delighted to get them here in Canada and give our boys a taste of what the summer of 2007 will be like. It will be a big challenge for us but one that I'm sure will help us down the road."

FIFA U-20 World Cup Canada 2007

In 2007, Canada will host the World’s finest youth players.

The biennial event is second only to the FIFA World Cup™ in size and scope and will showcase the most talented under-20 soccer players in the world. The tournament has been the coming-out party for some of the game’s top players - Maradona, Saviola, Raúl, Marco Van Basten, Luis Figo, Rui Costa, Thierry Henry, Adriano, Roberto Carlos, Bebeto and Dunga as well as Canada’s Craig Forrest and many members of the current Men’s World Cup Team including Julian de Guzman, Paul Stalteri, Atiba Hutchinson and Iain Hume.

Last held in CONCACAF in 1983 in Mexico, Canada’s most recent participation in this event occurred last June in the Netherlands from June 10 - July 2, 2005.

Canada enjoyed it’s its best ever finish in a World Championship in December 2003, losing to eventual silver medalist Spain on a golden goal in the quarter finals in the United Arab Emirates.

The Canadian Championship will take place in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Edmonton, Vancouver, and Victoria with the tentative dates for the tournament set for July 1-22, 2007.

Great news for our U-20 players and the fans from Edmonton, Victoria and maybe Vancouver who'll have the chance to see the team that will represent us in 2007. I hope the CSA can have the same kind of games in Montreal and Ottawa this summer against another quality opponent (the USA or Mexico?).

HAMILTON needs to get a game.

The cities that are hoisting the tourny should not get everything. The warm up games should be played in cities that missed out.

They could play out of Brian Timmins...get extra bleachers behing the net like they were planning on doing for the womens game before it got cut...Could bring the seating up to a good 7000 or something.

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

The cities that are hoisting the tourny should not get everything. The warm up games should be played in cities that missed out.

That is a good idea and ideally they would spread the games out so builds interest in more places. Problem is that they need to build up the tournament in the host cities, and everything else like gather volunteers, test the stadiums, security, get people on board, etc. It's not like there are others games where they can do everything needed.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

That is a good idea and ideally they would spread the games out so builds interest in more places. Problem is that they need to build up the tournament in the host cities, and everything else like gather volunteers, test the stadiums, security, get people on board, etc. It's not like there are others games where they can do everything needed.

Agreed. This makes the most sense.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Thank God! I was afraid we'd get a game out East or something...

I remember someone at the CSA saying that all the WYC host cities would get Canada U-20 games during the 2006 summer to showcase the team and the event. The Brazil games being in late may, I expect that we will have a lot more games announce for this summer.

It seems the CSA is putting a lot of times in this team preparation: Francophone Games (B team), Chivas Cup (A-B team), Friendlies with Scotland in april (B team), Porto Tournament (A team), Brazil games(A team) and I expect some other games during the summer and next fall (some Concacaf team will be looking for an opponent to prepare for the qualification).

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I remember someone at the CSA saying that all the WYC host cities would get Canada U-20 games during the 2006 summer to showcase the team and the event.

Not that I'm omplaining about the prospect of actual live matches here, but where in Toronto would they host these games?

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Not that I'm omplaining about the prospect of actual live matches here, but where in Toronto would they host these games?

I don't know, but U-20 friendlies are often played at NCAA facilities in the US, so I guess you have something that could do the job in Toronto. Where the Lynx play maybe???

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Where the Lynx play maybe???

I sincerely hope not.

The last thing Canada needs is for a wunderkind Brazilian to get himself injured on that abomination of a field at Centennial.

Hopefully some of the upcoming friendlies after this (assuming any are in Canada) will be played in other cities that aren't hosting any matches. I don't blame them for putting all these games in the west as you cut out un-necessary travel that way (as compared to one game in Victoria, another in Halifax, etc.).

quote:Originally posted by hottoddy7

Will the european based guys like Peters, Edgar, Lombardo, Begovic, Ayre (sp?) and hopefully Lensky and the guy at Porto be able to play in these games?

Hopefully.

The games are in May, so most of them should be available.

Guest Jeffery S.

I think because the local organizing committees need experience and need to liason with the CSA on a number of matters, they need to see these matches with hopefully decent crowds to get some idea of what next year will bring. It is a good move on that level, and Brazil forces them to pay attention to details and not be lax.

As for it being out West, I imagine it is about Brazil wanting to avoid excess travel. Look for future dates in the East guys with other friendlies.

• 2 weeks later...

The fastest way to Canada from Brazil is Sao Paulo to Toronto. I suspect all other Canadian destinations from Sao Paulo would have to go through a US hub.

It also will be interesting to see who the Brazilians bring. They have a very large pool of possible players. Nevertheless, look for these eligible players.

Eduardo Ratinho (born 1987) - starts regularly for Corinthians (2005 Brazilian Champions). Wing back.

Jo (1987) - played backup to Carlos Tevez at Corinthians last season and did get some playing time. Recently transferred to CSKA Moscow for 5,000,000 Euros. Striker

Denilson (1988) - gets some regular playing time as a substitute with 2005 World Club Champion, Sao Paulo FC. Midfielder

Anderson (1988) - formerly of Gremio and recently transferred to Porto for 5,000,000. Midfielder.

There are others mentioned by Alex Mellos on http://www.futebolthebrazilianwayoflife.com/ but I haven't been able to verify if they actually get playing time with the big boys.

I will do some further digging over time.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I think because the local organizing committees need experience and need to liason with the CSA on a number of matters, they need to see these matches with hopefully decent crowds to get some idea of what next year will bring. It is a good move on that level, and Brazil forces them to pay attention to details and not be lax.

As for it being out West, I imagine it is about Brazil wanting to avoid excess travel. Look for future dates in the East guys with other friendlies.

Archived