What is the stupidest thing anyone has ever said?

Guest speedmonk42

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

lol, I forgot about him. I've edited my list to include him now.

I just thought I should state my views on this. Everyone has made dumb posts, in fact sometimes this board is useful for when you want to be a bit dumb. I am sillier than usual here precisely because it is just a sport in the end.

It is another thing, though, to fall into making lists of people you don't like on the basis of their posts. Very pathetic and childish M-A, and I say that as one appreciative of your contributions here. All anyone does by showing off his ability to make blacklists, is end up putting a black mark on yourself.

Apart from the fact that one particular person on your list, at least, has a better mind than most of those posting here, including you. Perhaps you just are not able to grasp his posts, so be it. By naming him (her) you are just exposing yourself. And by accepting the adulatory encouragement of certain supposedly intelligent posters here you are being tripped up by their misguided flattery.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually agree with you Jeffrey. When I went to the last Toronto ultras meeting, I had a conversation about how stupid the internet/forums can be for debate. Quite often, we get offended by people simply because they have opposing viewpoints, or because of their delivery. But if we were having a conversation with the same poster in person, we could talk to them for hours and never be bothered by them.

As for the list, it was made mostly out of frustration from reading another thread.

I actually think (if anyone really cares what I think) that The Ref is an insightful poster. I just do not understand his constant critisism of our most successful age group, men or women. Same with sj, who at least explains his/her position.

As for the others on M-A's list, I couldn't agree more - although I must admit I haven't read any of their posts in quite a while.

it wasn't on this forum, but on a Saints forum. Overseas fans were posting where they were from and what their connection to Southampton was. I intended to say that I was conceived and had lived by entire life in Winnipeg. But I posted that I was "born inbred in Winnipeg" instead of "born AND bred in Winnipeg".

I also fell into a sewer in Mexico, which has nothing to do with internet posting but was pretty stupid.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

This is a "fact" is it? Did you look it up in an encyclopaedia or something?

Grow up G-L and stop being such a nerd, it is nauseating that such an intelligent person like you has to suck up to others on a fan forum to help make pre-adolescent lists of "who I like and who I don't on this board".

It also seems that if someone actually states an opinion that someone you don't admire is intelligent and posts as such this bothers you. The basic idea is that Gian-Luca is really smart and everyone has to say he's really smart, 'cause that makes him happy. Fair enough, you are usually one of the most informed people here, with the best memory and penchant for detail as well, I recognize it. But then you behave like a classic grade 6 smarty-pants, and to top it off, to ingratiate yourself to a guy you hardly know?

The sad thing is that most of your intelligence is wasted by constant institutional butt-licking and pandering to any power that might be, anywhere. I mean it is a fan forum, for chrissake, not a system for professional networking. Do you have to resort to grovelling before the CSA/MLS/NATO/WHO/FIFA/IATA all the time?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Grow up G-L and stop being such a nerd, it is nauseating that such an intelligent person like you has to suck up to others on a fan forum to help make pre-adolescent lists of "who I like and who I don't on this board".

Please, spare us the histrionics and calm down. I don't know what ever gave you the idea that I feel the need to suck up to Massive Attack, but, and no offense to him, the suggestion is laughable. Sharing a joke with somebody that I know personally is "sucking up"?

I don't see the need in listing posters that I don't like or ignore either, and I spoke up in defence of The Ref in this regard when he gave the impression he was taken aback. I would do the same for any other poster that I don't necesssarily agree with, as long as its someone that doesn't continually act like a troll.

What I do know is that somebody insulting somebody else's posts is nowhere near in the same boat as insulting somebody personally, which is what your previous post did which its claims that people had inferior minds to others, and that this is a "fact". And now you have compounded that by personally attacking me specifically in this latest post.

So what you are saying is, its not okay to criticize another person's posts, but it is okay to insult them personally. Well, that makes absolutely no sense to me, and its contrary to the posting policy of every internet I've ever been on, and with good reason, because its completely contradictory.

quote:

The sad thing is that most of your intelligence is wasted by constant institutional butt-licking and pandering to any power that might be, anywhere. I mean it is a fan forum, for chrissake, not a system for professional networking. Do you have to resort to grovelling before the CSA/MLS/NATO/WHO/FIFA/IATA all the time?

I would comment on this, but then I wouldn't want to be guilty of taking such an incredibly silly statement seriously.

Guest Jeffery S.

Please, spare us the histrionics and calm down. I don't know what ever gave you the idea that I feel the need to suck up to Massive Attack, but, and no offense to him, the suggestion is laughable. Sharing a joke with somebody that I know personally is "sucking up"?

I don't see the need in listing posters that I don't like or ignore either, and I spoke up in defence of The Ref in this regard when he gave the impression he was taken aback. I would do the same for any other poster that I don't necesssarily agree with, as long as its someone that doesn't continually act like a troll.

What I do know is that somebody insulting somebody else's posts is nowhere near in the same boat as insulting somebody personally, which is what your previous post did which its claims that people had inferior minds to others, and that this is a "fact". And now you have compounded that by personally attacking me specifically in this latest post.

So what you are saying is, its not okay to criticize another person's posts, but it is okay to insult them personally. Well, that makes absolutely no sense to me, and its contrary to the posting policy of every internet I've ever been on, and with good reason, because its completely contradictory.

I would comment on this, but then I wouldn't want to be guilty of taking such an incredibly silly statement seriously.

At least the person I directed my post to -M-A- had the decency and good humour to at least tone down his original post, though of course he did not have to for my sake. Because instead of simply mentioning a dumb post -which we all make, maybe you excepted- the idea was to point to individuals as substantially or essentially stupid or worthy to be ignored at all times, and that is unacceptable baiting.

You, though, after he had done this, had the choice to retract as well and still haven't. If you don't have the honesty and integrity to apologize to G-Man -who I do not know- for your cowardly attempt

to bait him or influence others against him then you can't expect others to treat you decently.

In my opinion there is nothing worse than someone acting like they are smart on a fan forum and then baiting fellow posters. Others on this thread had the self-irony to mention their own dumb posts, others mentioned posters without names. You, on the other hand, mention names without mentioning posts, which is a cheap attempt at a slur. And then you prize yourself on being so exact on content. Unless you want to now tell us ignorant types about all the stupid posts by G-Man that justify your post against him. I wouldn't be surprised if have them all archived, it seems to be what you prize yourself on.

At least the person I directed my post to -M-A- had the decency and good humour to at least tone down his original post, though of course he did not have to for my sake. Because instead of simply mentioning a dumb post -which we all make, maybe you excepted- the idea was to point to individuals as substantially or essentially stupid or worthy to be ignored at all times, and that is unacceptable baiting.

You, though, after he had done this, had the choice to retract as well and still haven't. If you don't have the honesty and integrity to apologize to G-Man -who I do not know- for your cowardly attempt

to bait him or influence others against him then you can't expect others to treat you decently.

Jeffrey I don't need to try to influence others against G-Man even if I wanted to (which I don't) - he does that all by himself with his posts. As for baiting him, not only was that not my intent (no matter how it appeared to you) this guy has been trolling these boards trying to bait everyone he can who is in favour of a Toronto MLS team for months, so please give us all a break with this demand for an apology. This guy references me in about 50% of his posts giving the impression he is obsessed with me, and only the other day accused another poster entirely of "living in a G-L dream world", made personal attacks that he never apologized for - and I'm supposed to apologize to him? Get real. I make no apologies whatsoever. To suggest that I was baiting him would be to imply that I give a rat's ass about this guy. I don't. I was simply joking with someone who was part of a conversation with about 30 people that was held off-line about the ridiculous nature of some of the posts we regularly get, a conversation you weren't there for, and a conversation that is totally natural whenever a group of posters come to meet in person. I make no apologies if it looked as though I was baiting him - considering his conduct, if he can't stand the heat he gets for playing the troll game on this board, he needs to get out of the kitchen. Furthermore that's no excuse for you to go around telling other people that they have inferior minds, and then follow up that by personally attacking the person who chatised you for that silly personal attack.

The problem is Jeffrey is that you have no proper idea what you are talking about, you've made assumptions on what other people are doing presumably based on only reading selected posts here (you obviously haven't read all of them or you wouldn't be acting like this) and through no fault of your own you haven't been a part of conversations that haven't even taken place on this board, which are nevertheless germane to the discussions here and what the intent behind some of the posts might be. Your claims of what I've been doing are no so much as inaccurate as to be totally fictitious - they have no bearing on reality whatsoever. Instead of lashing out & accusing people of things that you seem to be admitting that you don't have the full story on, I would suggest asking for clarification next time. By not doing so on this occassion, you end up looking like you are, frankly, talking out of your ass.

Guest Jeffery S.

You see, I thought you'd have the guys posts archived Gian-luca.

Do you consider that normal for a professional adult male?

As for the above treatise, I suppose it being midday on a Wednesday you are writing those at work. Better for your clients, since with the time you have left to deal with their judicial matters you'll at least be obliged to write them up pithier opinions.

By the way, thanks for getting that "legit" guy on the board from MLSE, once again your skilful networking has done us a great favour and we can have another 12 page thread on how we don't like animal names and how much the U-section would really like a little locker in the stadium to put their banners in. Edifying stuff. What is the payoff for you on that by the way?

Do you consider that normal for a professional adult male?

Did I miss something?

He did not have the posts archived. So what's the point of this remark?

Actually they aren't archived in any way, I have what is commonly known as a "memory", and don't even need a long one since much of the activity I referred to is very recent & highly pervasive. Actually some of it turned out to be an accurate prediction of the future as well, since I subsequently ventured over to the Canadian club part of the forum to find G-Man trolling a thread started by an MLSE employee, proving my point about him better than I ever could.

Of course, now I'll probably get accused of baiting him again....

quote:

By the way, thanks for getting that "legit" guy on the board from MLSE, once again your skilful networking has done us a great favour and we can have another 12 page thread on how we don't like animal names and how much the U-section would really like a little locker in the stadium to put their banners in. Edifying stuff. What is the payoff for you on that by the way?

I get front row free season tickets for all MLSE events for life along with yearly paid-for vacation with the ACC usherette of my choice, of course. It's so obvious I am surprised that you felt the need to ask.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

When a nigerian amateur player of no real talent told me that if I got him the phone number to the CSA he'd fly to Canada and make the national team through tryouts, and that not knowing the phone number was the only thing stopping him since he'd played pro for blah blah blah FC in the hungarian third division. "I choose to give my talent to Canada because it is a peaceful country".

I got that e-mail too.

I have what is commonly known as a "memory"

Just to expand on this, I can distinctly remember G-Man's 'living in a G-L dream world' comment, probably because he directed it towards me (and inadvertantly professed his secret lust for G-L, but that's for another thread ;)).

Jeffrey you are way out of line on this. MA lists several posters who continually make idiotic posts that in no way add to the debate on this forum. If people want to act like idiots on the board I have no problem with people calling them out on this. The only problem with MA's list in my opinion is he includes a few legitimate posters (Ref, sj) but does not include a couple of the idiots among whom G-Man is an example. G-Man has made hundreds of posts that are almost identical in content, show no analysis or understanding of the issue and which bait other members. He doesn't have to agree with MLS Toronto and if he presented well thought out opinions on the matter like a few other members who don't support MLS (who are unfortunately outnumbered by the idiot brigade) that would be fine. Instead he chooses to respond to any mention of the MLS in any context with numerous idiotic posts. I don't see how anyone here can have much issue with Gianluca pointing this out.

The problem I have is that it is you Jeffrey making the personal attacks that are way out of line. All the posts subsequent to and including the one below consititute a personal attack on Gianluca. You have posted that he is a nerd, immature, sucking up etc... Gainluca has showed much more class than you in that he has not responded with a personal attack on yourself and only criticized the content of your posts. I think the one apologizing and making a retraction should be Jeffrey S not Gianluca.

quote:Grow up G-L and stop being such a nerd, it is nauseating that such an intelligent person like you has to suck up to others on a fan forum to help make pre-adolescent lists of "who I like and who I don't on this board".

It also seems that if someone actually states an opinion that someone you don't admire is intelligent and posts as such this bothers you. The basic idea is that Gian-Luca is really smart and everyone has to say he's really smart, 'cause that makes him happy. Fair enough, you are usually one of the most informed people here, with the best memory and penchant for detail as well, I recognize it. But then you behave like a classic grade 6 smarty-pants, and to top it off, to ingratiate yourself to a guy you hardly know?

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Jeffrey you are way out of line on this. MA lists several posters who continually make idiotic posts that in no way add to the debate on this forum. If people want to act like idiots on the board I have no problem with people calling them out on this. The only problem with MA's list in my opinion is he includes a few legitimate posters (Ref, sj) but does not include a couple of the idiots among whom G-Man is an example. G-Man has made hundreds of posts that are almost identical in content, show no analysis or understanding of the issue and which bait other members. He doesn't have to agree with MLS Toronto and if he presented well thought out opinions on the matter like a few other members who don't support MLS (who are unfortunately outnumbered by the idiot brigade) that would be fine. Instead he chooses to respond to any mention of the MLS in any context with numerous idiotic posts. I don't see how anyone here can have much issue with Gianluca pointing this out.

The problem I have is that it is you Jeffrey making the personal attacks that are way out of line. All the posts subsequent to and including the one below consititute a personal attack on Gianluca. You have posted that he is a nerd, immature, sucking up etc... Gainluca has showed much more class than you in that he has not responded with a personal attack on yourself and only criticized the content of your posts. I think the one apologizing and making a retraction should be Jeffrey S not Gianluca.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Grizzly.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

I miss Luis and his bi-monthly quest to locate Jason Bent.

Things were so much simpler then. No one had to apologize for nuthin'.

Yes I agree...Luis brought us Joey Torks....Yes I know....where is he now? Good Question Luis.....Good darn Question. Maybe if you post it several thousand times, it will eventually spark someone's memory. Thats darn good logic right there.

I have been on this board longer than most and do not post as much as I have in the past. I have seen as much football (Canadian or other) as anyone on this board and granted my knowledge of football may not be as great as others in this space, but I don't claim to know everything. However, I do know what I read here and I agree completely with Jeffery S.

Want an excuse as to why Canada didn't win a match or why the CSA made a certain decision? Just wait for G-L's post.....there will be plenty.

Sorry G-L, but Jeffery S. has you pegged this time.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck in Boston

However, I do know what I read here and I agree completely with Jeffery S.

Want an excuse as to why Canada didn't win a match or why the CSA made a certain decision? Just wait for G-L's post.....there will be plenty.

Sorry G-L, but Jeffery S. has you pegged this time.

If people think I defend Canada or the CSA too much, that's fair enough. I don't agree of course - my general philosophy on this board with the CSA is that there are far more than enough critics of the CSA as it is without me having to add in my own personal abuse of them. I will usually only criticize them where I feel it is warranted and where others usually don't speak up (such as playing a certain WCQ match in Vancouver, which I was one of the few to speak out against before </u>it happened and presto, it helped to cost us the match). Quite often I find a lot of the criticism against the CSA to be OTT and ridiculous and say so. And it is true I give a lot of stick to the Referees when I feel we have been screwed by them. That's just the way I am, in any sport. Nobody should confuse with my anger at crap officiating as somehow meaning that I don't perceive our own faults or that it negates blame on our players or coaching staff. Nevertheless these are perceived criticisms I can live with.

But please, how can anyone in their right mind think that I post this way because I'm networking professionally for my law practice (the one that doesn't even exist) or trying to get a job with the CSA, FIFA or whatever. I've been on this board over 6 years now and posted the same way since day one, I guess I'm a just little overdue with the job applications to the CSA don't you think? Or do people think I'm angling for these organizations to send legal work my way? A little bit difficult to do since I am not, nor ever have been, a practising lawyer, which anybody who actually knows me (ie. not the people attacking me in this thread) is already aware of.

I didn't respond to this point of Jeffrey because I honestly didn't take this particular comment of his seriously, it was so ridiculous, part of me wondered if he was submitting his own entry to the thread topic in jest - and yet here you come saying he's got it exactly right, prompting me to take the time to respond after all.

The people that accuse me of this don't know me at all, and understand me even less. I am the way I am because I am passionate for this sport and this country. Anytime I see anyone who represents this country get (what I feel is) unfairly attacked, be it Paul Stalteri or the team's waterboy, I will defend them. I don't do this out of some avaricious, money-grubbing motive or for any sort personal gain. I do this because I love the sport and I love the country. Is that so hard to understand and difficult to believe???

I don't claim to know you, I have only read your posts. I do not think that you are angling for a job with the CSA, I know you are far too bright for that. However, you are an appologist for all things Canadian soccer related.

That may be a good thing.....I don't know.

I will have you know I was one of the first to support the abilities of Stalteri. I traveled to Hershey to watch the Olympic qualifying and challenged the views most had of Stalteri. Go back check my posts.

Just me making a rare comment on what I read.

I do think I remember you making a correlation between Gillette Stadium and Heysel(or something of the sort) so I don't know what to make of your posts. Hyberbole or reality??? :-) Most are quite reasonable, but you don't need my approval, do you?

Nothing personal....you have been here along time as have I. I just think you should be challenged from time to time. I will fade away again.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck in Boston

I don't claim to know you, I have only read your posts. I do not think that you are angling for a job with the CSA, I know you are far too bright for that.

Then kindly please do not quote posts which suggest I am and then state your agreement that the post you quoted got it exactly right. I'm sure we will all find it much easier to get along that way, and like you, I have nothing personal against anyone here, including yourself and would rather get along than unnecessarily squabble.

quote:

However, you are an appologist for all things Canadian soccer related.

Not a claim I agree with of course, but at least here I can understand how the perception might exist. However, it might have been a nicer thing to do to make this claim when such an instance allegedly happens, rather than to simply make this accusation because you feel I deserve to be given a shot in general & the opportunity arose because Jeffrey was already in the process of doing so, so why not jump on the bandwagon while we're at it. If that's how you feel, why not start a thread about how I am an alleged apologist? I could ask the moderators to make it a sticky if you like, and that way everyone that wants to get at me can do so at any time. I don't mind, I have very thick skin.

quote:

I will have you know I was one of the first to support the abilities of Stalteri. I traveled to Hershey to watch the Olympic qualifying and challenged the views most had of Stalteri. Go back check my posts.

I never suggested you were critical of him. I used him as an example partly because I have defended recently from what I felt were

unwarranted attacks and because as one of most important players he makes a nice contrast to the (also mentioned) team waterboy, the point being that most important to least important on the team, if somebody that represents this country is being attacked unfairly I am inclined to leap to their defense.

I was also hoping somebody would see the humourous possibilities in the statement, by saying that Stalteri and the waterboy were the same thing given the demonstration of Stalteri's ample water distribution skills in Edmonton during qualifying, but alas it has been left to me to mention it.

Archived