Sven is quitting after World Cup

Gian-Luca

Who knows how this will affect the squad for the World Cup. The English FA should have sacked him outright, as leaving him at the helm may disrupt the English squad for 2006. Take Santini and France at the Euro 2004. He was at the end of his contract, a contract FFF would not renew, and that did no favors for France, as they fizzled out of the competition against eventual underdog champs Greece.

Geezus, the WC is 6 months off and given the state of affairs in what should be a realy competative England side I find it hard to image how replacing him right now could do any more harm.

Maybe there's a replacement already lined up but still under club contract somewhere...

For many years Sven managed in Italy, and Portugal with very little fanfare or controversey, Ever since he took the England job every unimportant moment in his life like who he is screwing etc has been sensantionalised on all fleet street rags. Even when Engalnd loses I have noticed the criticsm a liitle bit harsher.It kind of makes wonder,If he were English not Swedish would people like News of the World etc, not over sensantionalise things. and create such nonsense,

I hope I am wrong with the comment I just made. But I do remember when he first got the England job there was some critics about his appointment because he was foriegn.

quote:Originally posted by juaninho

leaving him at the helm may disrupt the English squad for 2006.

Ha, that would be SWEET. Not only because I cheer against England, but also because that is precisely what happened to Lazio when Eriksson accepted the English job near the start of the 2000/2001 season and tried to stay on as Lazio coach until the end of the season — but everything went downhill and he eventually had to leave in the middle. So, it would be poetic justice. [^]

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Daniel

They flew him to Kuwait, posed as a sheik and baited him into not-really-compromising comments (Rio is lazy, I'll quit if I win, Rooney's an idiot, etc.). The English media deserve 3-and-out just so they can go nuts.

Exactly. A big nothing boring story by crap media is the cause of this? I mean how are to believe the Aston Villa angle, the most hilarious invention I have heard in a long time.

The point is that the British press distorts football in England incredibly, so that fans there don't have a clue about the rest of the universe of the game; but also affects opinion the world over, since now it influences online betting more than any other, which then becomes a "source" for who is the favourite, who is likely to fail. Feeds the world's wires irrelevances about Beckham and the like.

But re Sven and England: England is in there with Spain or Holland or the Czechs with a medium shot at WC success, the side is good and there are only a few holes, there are some players really on form. Sven has handled the team quite well, keeping a solid block and fitting in the odd individual, not making overly rash decisions, trying to create consistency. The style is attractive enough, dynamic. The players are more or less in the spots they should be on the field. What more can they want?

But so be it, the guy is a bit stupid as has been seen with him thinking he's a playboy and the whole business of jetting off to the Gulf States.

For those of us who do cheer for England, the Sven debacle somehow comes with a perverse sense of relief, that is it lowers expectations of England's prospects so that we can approach Germany 2006 almost like the USA i.e. in the circumstances be very grateful with a reasonable showing. This is going to be much easier on the old ticker knowing ahead of time that England will bomb out and have scapegoats already lined up IN ADVANCE no less to explain to the rest of the world just why we bombed out.

Starting in 1970 England has always found a way to lose, we had Bobby Moore and the nicked bracelet arrest in Bogota en route to Mexico, then England blew a 2-0 lead in Guadalajara in the quarter final after the hour mark against West Germany (England's defence couldn't tackle a fish supper on that occasion), to 1974 and Norman Hunter's mistimed slide tackle on Lato at Wembley that let in Poland to prevent England qualifying, to Don Revie and the 1978 anti-skill dogma (we don't have room for ball players on this team, like Hudson and Currie, even though the latter joined Leeds so he could get picked for England and famously nutmeged Brazil's Rivelino on one occasion), to 1982 and Kevin Keegan's two right feet, to 1986 and Maradona somehow outjumping 6 foot tall Shilton to punch the ball in the net, to 1990 and Chris Waddle and Stuart Pearce trying to take penalties against West Germany in the semi, to 1994 (that was the long ball Graham Taylor era, enough said), to 1998 and David Beckham's red card from Kim Neilsen, to 2002 and David Seaman's non save on Ronaldinho......to 2006..

Bottom line England always go in hyped to death and find a way to lose. This time there WILL BE NO EXPECTATIONS!!! It will be easier, much easier knowing this in advance. If England get out of their Group it will be a miracle.

By the way, I hope for Canada's sake that England don't crash badly also. Failure at football, like failure in Hockey for Canada brings with it extreme navel gazing and "enquiries into the state of the game" etc. It always comes up then from the likes of the News of the World and Sun newspapers: what about all these foreigners (like Rad, Stalteri, Hume, Peters etc.) taking away jobs and opportunities from our lads? What about those young Canadians bagging spots from our boys in Premiership clubs academies like the two Canadian lads at Middlesboro or Edgar at Newcastle? Most average football apprentices get their ideas from this kind of press and can be very hostile as it is to people coming from away and taking their livelihood opportunities away, instead of playing in their own country. Jose Mourinho has said as much in that he is always looking for England to do well to keep sentiment positive in the domestic game...Then again maybe he's just keeping his options open at Lancaster Gate for the England job???

Archived