Canadians abroad: January 20-26, 2006

DJT

Guest Jeffery S.

Club Bruges takes the lead in Belgium with a 3-0 win over FC Brussels, with the reappearance of Michael Klukowski for 90 minutes great news for us.

One ticker I read at www.sport.be saw him sending in some fine centres from the left side that their strikers did not find. But they found other things for the win.

Great to see Michael starting with the Belgium leaders as left back.

Guest Jeffery S.

Jonathan played 90 for Feyenoord, but Roda did a good job holding them in Rotterdam for a 0-0 draw. They are now three back of PSV, a win would have kept them within one.

Odd, they are tied for second with AZ, with the exact same games, wins, draws, losses, goals for and goals against:

20 14 3 3 45 50 19

quote:Originally posted by shaku_bert

Stephen Kelly fills in for Stalteri's one match suspension. He says he's gonna quit if Stalteri gets his job back on Tuesday (well he didn't really say that

That's pretty well what he is saying. "Bench Stalteri (or perhaps Lee) or I'll quit!"

What a great team player! ;)

Guest Jeffery S.

Fernando Aguiar came on as a sub m. 25, apparently for a teammate injured, as Gondomar came back to draw Desportivo Aves 1-1 at home. They are seventh, 10 back of the leaders and 6 back of a promotion spot into Portugal top flight.

This means he has recovered from injury, which is why he sat out last week.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Radzinski is on the bench (and not a starter) for only the third time this season, and is brought on in the 62nd minute with Fulham trailing 2-1 at West Ham, and that's how it finishes. Fulham are 13th.

I watched the game this afternoon. All 3 goals were class - especially the two for the Hammers.

Radz was reasonably good in his half hour. He had a very strong volley turned over the bar by Caroll (sp?) and then drew a yellow with his speed on a sloppy challenge by Christian Dailly.

Re; Kelly.

No not his best there on Saturday but he hasn't played eff-all this year. Still, agreed. If he thinks he'll unseat Diesel from right 'back on that performance he's lost his fu'king mind.

Lee however... that man has got to go. Great athelete, no arguing that but not a great left 'back by my standards. Maybe Jol should let the man have a go on the port side. Besides, Kelly's left peg can't be any worse than Lee's. Ouch. Man, that's just painfull to watch.

Guest Jeffery S.

Was hoping to see Julian play Valencia in the 2nd leg of their King's Cup quarter finals, but the ref suspended the match just as Villa tied the confrontation with a goal for Valencia (Depor won 1-0 in the first leg). It was m. 44 and someone in the crowd at Mestalla hit the linesman with an object, causing bleeding. Valencia was already a man down after Marchena received a direct red in m. 9. So potentially a great match in the works.

I think it was not correct to call off the game with some 45,000 in the stands and basically a single isolated incident. The linesman perhaps was unnerved about continuing, understandable, but it is the ref's responsibility to try to continue I would say. Especially since in Spain for a similar incident affecting a player they would continue playing and no ref would call the game. They don't do it for racist chanting either, though at least, finally, they are reporting it. That looked like corporativism to me, though I guess the ref is in his right if we consult the regs.

Archived