USL Import Rules Changing Part 2

snake

peter schadd intervied bob lilley on whitecaps world of soccer today and lilley mentioned that there are no longer restrictions on canadaian clubs regarding import players ie:americans.he said that they are looking at a handfull of american players to make the move up here.did anyone else hear this?

with the approval of Mls Toronto by the CSA

winning games and championships becomes the main target not player development for the whitecaps and Impact.

if it means getting players from overseas to succeed then thats the way they have to go.

why should they bother developing canadian players after what the CSA

is to them.

Saputo did put the national team first last yr by supplying players for the gold cup and to only see his team relagated to second division status by the CSA.

the National team player pool is loaded with players that has at one time or another spend time playing for the Toronto Lynx

name some of your favorite canadian players overseas you will most likely find out that they are ex Toronto lynx and how did the CSA thks them?

I always felt that the top teams in Canada should make an effort to have as much canadian content as possible but since the CSA has choosen Toronto mls to be the top team in canada,the team playing in the lower tier team must do what they have to survive first.

Uh, wow. If it's true I'm not sure if that's good or bad for everybody concearned.

Since the CSA isn't likely to get into a pissing contest with USL over requiring import limitations then I guess this is the way of the future for Division 1.

Well if the clubs concearned see this as a tool necessary for competing with MLS then fair enough. But if it's just the 'Caps sulking, well that's quite another thing. And I don't think enough people outside Vancouver will notice and those that do probably won't care enough to make the gesture meaningful.

P.S. Just had another thought. What ever the motivations, this is actualy quite a mature move by the league for want of a better phrase. It will realy open up the competative options of the various clubs although the economic realities of the individual clubs is always THE determining factor. Not a bad league move I think. Just have to straighten out that traditionaly rubbish schedule (too late!) and they may be moving in a good direction.

I think if its true, its a great move as this means that it works both ways and it will open up positions at 9 more teams in the US for Canadians to play as non-imports in second division football.

Of course there will always be some idiot on this board who will suggest it only means US players allowed to play in Canada and not the other way around.

Guest speedmonk42

I don't think this can be a bad thing at all.

If the players are good enough, it gives them more options close to home in both MLS and USL. More options is good.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

The Impact is a non-profit organization that has included in its mission statement an objective of developping local talent.

Isn't it more a charity considering the welfare it gets from the provicial government?

But then again, MLS Ice STrikers have outdone them with their stadia.

quote:Originally posted by sj

with the approval of Mls Toronto by the CSA

winning games and championships becomes the main target not player development for the whitecaps and ....

You're joking right? The list of players developed by the Whitecaps in the last ten years could fit on the head of a pin.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

You're joking right? The list of players developed by the Whitecaps in the last ten years could fit on the head of a pin.

You mean Davide Xausa wasn't developed by the Caps??? :D

The USL is a professional league, why shouldn't clubs recruit the best players they can find from wherever they can find them. I don't see the EPL clubs being stacked with English players. Certainly the Whitecaps are doing their bit insofaras developing local talent is concerned, they pay for and staff the District Development Centre for the CSA/BCSA and run their academy and Prospects programs. What more can anybody reasonably expect. Yes, as a fan I would prefer to see an all Canadian squad but I also like to see my club win and realistically that is not going to happen if we hobble them with restrictions on Canadian only players.

It can't be denied, whatever efforts they make, the Whitecaps are not very successful in developing local players. To be fair it takes a while to see results so it is possible they have righted the mistakes they made in the past. However, in Canada we have one team, the Impact, which is successful (in fact the most successful) that also develops local talent, one team which is successful but does not develop much local talent, the Whitecaps and one team that is unsuccessful but develops local talent, the Lynx. I would argue the lack of success of the Lynx has little to do with the use of local talent but with other issues in how the organization is run. Maybe a better job at developing youth would be what could push the Whitecaps over the hump of perennially being the 2nd best team in Canada. The Impact's commitment to youth development helps their onfield performance. They get a few years service out of some players who have talent they could not afford to buy otherwise and when they do move on they receive a significant transfer fee. How many players have the Whitecaps sold to European clubs?

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

I wasn't aware Whitecaps World of Soccer was still broadcasting during the winter. Has it been on the air every single week? And if so, how much local content is there?

it was on around 9.00a.m.it was in between the the games they carry from england during their english premier league simulcasts on saturday mornings.

Lilly did say the club's mandate was to sign and develop local and Canadian Players first...but if the rumours are true, he'll have signed Antoniuk and Woolfolk (2 Americans) while bidding adieu to Watson, Dasovic, and Corazzin and possibly Geordie Lyall. So, the CANCON will actually have gone down for 2006 unless there are any other pick-ups...

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

It can't be denied, whatever efforts they make, the Whitecaps are not very successful in developing local players. To be fair it takes a while to see results so it is possible they have righted the mistakes they made in the past. However, in Canada we have one team, the Impact, which is successful (in fact the most successful) that also develops local talent, one team which is successful but does not develop much local talent, the Whitecaps and one team that is unsuccessful but develops local talent, the Lynx. I would argue the lack of success of the Lynx has little to do with the use of local talent but with other issues in how the organization is run. Maybe a better job at developing youth would be what could push the Whitecaps over the hump of perennially being the 2nd best team in Canada. The Impact's commitment to youth development helps their onfield performance. They get a few years service out of some players who have talent they could not afford to buy otherwise and when they do move on they receive a significant transfer fee. How many players have the Whitecaps sold to European clubs?

The big difference is that the Impact realise that they enough on their plate with running a USL team, getting asses into the stadium and marketing the team that that they leave the developement of players to others. They don't run youth programs, they haven't tried to take over player development in Quebec. They simply take the best the regional programs have to offer and turn them into solid pro players....and by being the best they can be, they inspire youth players the best they can be without profiting off them while they work their way into the team.

The Whitecaps want to be everything to everyone. And- as we know you can't.

See Danny, I do have nice things to say about the Saputo's.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I totally disagree. The Impact have "identified" local players but that doesn't mean "developed". They don't have a youth program, the Whitecaps do.

The Whitecaps never had the means to run an academy like they do now, and it blows away anything in the USL or MLS. If you're judging success of the youth program by who gets sold to Europe, you're going to have to wait 5 years at least.

The Lynx "identified" Paul Stalteri and Adrian Serioux, selling them to Europe...does that make them a great development club? I don't think so.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Lilly did say the club's mandate was to sign and develop local and Canadian Players first...but if the rumours are true, he'll have signed Antoniuk and Woolfolk (2 Americans) while bidding adieu to Watson, Dasovic, and Corazzin and possibly Geordie Lyall. So, the CANCON will actually have gone down for 2006 unless there are any other pick-ups...

In all fairness to Lilley, Corrazin scored a whopping 1 goal (on a penalty shot no less!) in 20 games. He has to explore other choices. Wouldn't you? It is too bad about Watson but rumor has it he will be back with Charleston(probably at a better salary) as player/assistant coach.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I totally disagree. The Impact have "identified" local players but that doesn't mean "developed". They don't have a youth program, the Whitecaps do.

The Whitecaps never had the means to run an academy like they do now, and it blows away anything in the USL or MLS. If you're judging success of the youth program by who gets sold to Europe, you're going to have to wait 5 years at least.

The Lynx "identified" Paul Stalteri and Adrian Serioux, selling them to Europe...does that make them a great development club? I don't think so.

The youth academy isn't an elite program. It's a glorified soccer camp. As pointed out before, if you have a grand, you can walk in with or without skill and get 35 sessions and a pair of Whitecaps shorts with a nice t-shirt.

I doubt they'll produce anyone from that pool. I'm sure the MLS Metrostars aren't skaing in their player development pants.

Seems the only way to satisfy some people who lust for Canadian pro clubs to develop players is for it to be free for all participants and for every player on their first team roster to have come up the ladder through their development programs. No club in the world has achieved that. The Whitecaps academy and their Prospects program has only been running in its present form since Greg Kerfoot took over the club a few years ago and it is a huge step in the right direction. The club and its owner are due full credit for implementing and sustaining such a program which is likely unmatched by any other USL club, Montreal Impact included. The Whitecaps recruiting pool for their academy is the BC Lower Mainland, I don't think it is realistic or reasonable to expect numerous top flight professional prospects to be graduated out of every session they run.

Archived