Transfer Rumours

sstackho

Atiba's a great player...but world class?? I think the level of the clubs that he has been rumoured to be attached to give us the most realistic indication of where he really stands. His best way into England (which is where I think he should be trying for) might be through England itself. If he's even half as hot as some of the guys on this board feel, then he should have as much chance of getting on a decent CCC club as say a Peters or a Bircham. I know the style of play can be pretty nasty in the CCC, but he'd have to be playing pretty tough to ever hope of starting for a side in one of the top leagues anyways.

I think he would be better off in Copenhagen than the CCC as far as getting into one of the top leagues. It is very easy to get stuck in the CCC whereas the Danish league is a transfer league. Also do not underestimate the value of playing in European Cups and being exposed to other teams. The Danish league is very heavily scouted by German clubs. Maybe Copenhagen is a bit of a dissappointment considering some of the clubs he has been linked to. He could have been playing two years already in a much superior league to the Danish one had he accepted the transfer to Saturn. Turning this down may have been a mistake considering none of the other transfer rumours went through. On the other hand Copenhagen may be a bit more visible as far as transfers go than Saturn. Still I think that any change to a better club in a better league is positive.

The CCC is one of the only second tier leagues to boast the odd world class player -not to mention a couple world class managers. and he could make a living wage. It would really depend where the offer came from. I would hope he'd turn down Millwall. However, a move to Leicester to play with his old mate Hume or to the Blades to play for Warnock wouldn't be so bad.

I guess the question is who can afford 500+ quid for an unknown foreigner from Sweden. I think that's the main obstacle. Another reason to play out his contract at Helsingborg.

quote:Originally posted by red citizen

The CCC is one of the only second tier leagues to boast the odd world class player -not to mention a couple world class managers. and he could make a living wage. It would really depend where the offer came from. I would hope he'd turn down Millwall. However, a move to Leicester to play with his old mate Hume or to the Blades to play for Warnock wouldn't be so bad.

I guess the question is who can afford 500+ quid for an unknown foreigner from Sweden. I think that's the main obstacle. Another reason to play out his contract at Helsingborg.

Get real, If you really were a genuine World class player, you would never even think of play in the CCC... Also the real top players in the Danish league always say no to CCC clubs, because they then think it's better to stay at home, despite the better wages in the CCC...

----

btw, a link from skysports.com about Atiba Hutchinson and the Norwegian "Daniel Agger" Brede Hangeland (Norway, 21 caps) who both could be on their way to FC Copenhagen (FCK)

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=352430&title=Hangeland%20open%20to%20FCK%20move

It's interesting since both Hutchinson and Hangeland are in the exact same situation, being close to the end of their contract and with some big clubs having been interested in the past and their clubs now suddenly being desperate to sell, but no real serious offers being made in this January transfer window, except for the offers from FCK...

Viking have now accepted the offer on Brede Hangeland by FCK, while Leeds on the other had were not able to meet the Viking demands.

"It all depends on finances and the money they are asking for him does not fit into the way we could finance it," says Leeds chairman Kevin Blackwell to Leeds official website.

Kevin Blackwell statement regarding FCK and Hangeland. In the middle of the leedsunited.com page :

http://www.leedsunited.com/article.asp?article=353112&blnFeedback=&Title=All+Quiet+On+The+Transfer+Front&navlid=newsroom

Besides Leeds also Tottenham, Everton, FK Moscow and Werder Bremen have been named as interested in Hangeland. Though Portsmouth is the only club [besides FCK] that Viking officially have confirmed making a bid on Hangeland in the past.

quote:Originally posted by mjoni

I have to say I think the CCC would be a bad choice. Instead of being a springboard for Canadian players, it's a quagmire.

Interesting discussion on this Atiba sidebar. mjoni's point raises the question of what leagues have in fact been springboards for Canadian players. Brennan had his cup of coffee in the EPL simply BECAUSE he was playing in what is now the CCC. Devos was a good ninety minutes away as well. Arguably a pretty good springboard to the EPL could be by "earning" your way in, precisely WITH a CCC team (same could be said for Serie B or Div 2 in Spain). But what other countries have been springboards for Canadians ? Radz came from Belgium and of course Stalteri and "our" De Guzman came through Germany. I think Scotland could be argued to have been a springboard for guys like Devos. Other than those few examples (which interestingly include the CCC) there are not many leagues that have really given an automatic boost to our Canadians' transfer prospects.

Scandinavian countries look good on paper for their history of supplying the big five,and especially the EPL, with gifted, game-ready talent. That doesn't necessarily mean that the same holds true for our boys, as I think our short history in the countries indicates. It could well be a final resting ground. Ask Mr. Clean.

Dear Danish guy,

We have a saying in English that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones -so I won't say your league and country are ****e. However, the CCC does have the "odd" -meaning occasional- world class player, such as Andy Johnson for Palace or young Walcott for Saints. That's all I was saying. I too believe Atiba should hold out for a top 4 league. However, it would be fun to see him play with Hume or help the Blades gain promotion. Just trying to keep it "real."

You put World Class Player and Andy Johnson and Walcott all in the same sentence.

We have a few sayings out West here too. The ones that come to mind reading the post above involve watching what you step in.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

You put World Class Player and Andy Johnson and Walcott all in the same sentence.

We have a few sayings out West here too. The ones that come to mind reading the post above involve watching what you step in.

Tough crowd. How many goals does a 16 year old need to score in a man's league before the Fuhrer takes notice?

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Interesting discussion on this Atiba sidebar. mjoni's point raises the question of what leagues have in fact been springboards for Canadian players. Brennan had his cup of coffee in the EPL simply BECAUSE he was playing in what is now the CCC. Devos was a good ninety minutes away as well. Arguably a pretty good springboard to the EPL could be by "earning" your way in, precisely WITH a CCC team (same could be said for Serie B or Div 2 in Spain). But what other countries have been springboards for Canadians ? Radz came from Belgium and of course Stalteri and "our" De Guzman came through Germany. I think Scotland could be argued to have been a springboard for guys like Devos. Other than those few examples (which interestingly include the CCC) there are not many leagues that have really given an automatic boost to our Canadians' transfer prospects.

Scandinavian countries look good on paper for their history of supplying the big five,and especially the EPL, with gifted, game-ready talent. That doesn't necessarily mean that the same holds true for our boys, as I think our short history in the countries indicates. It could well be a final resting ground. Ask Mr. Clean.

You seem to imply that the goal is to make the EPL. The goal is to make one of the top 5 leagues. Playing for Copenhagen I would rate his chances of transfering to the EPL about equal to his chances if he was playing in the CCC. However, his chances of transferring to another top league are much higher in Copenhagen than in the CCC. I don't know what the Stalteri and DeGuzman examples prove either because they were already in a top league before transferring. It seems that it is a better path to try to work your way up in Germany than in England judging from the players we have had in both systems for reasons too varied to get into here. Given this I am not particularly crazy about our most talented young players transfering into the CCC because there are other leagues where the player development and transfer possibilities seem superior.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

I'll, just add that to my knowledge only 3 Canadians have so far played in the Danish Superliga, Charles Gbeke and Alen Marcina with no success for the relegated bottom team Herfølge and Marco Reda playing for mid-table AaB. However, Reda was injured alot and therefore never really became a regular and finally got a free transfer. So you cant really use any of them as an example of anything but bad luck and lack of talent..

Atiba Hutchinson is on the other hand regarded as a huge talent and the Danish league is with no doubt the main springboard for Scandinavian players moving to the top 7 biggest leagues (England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Holland, portugal)... e.g. Norway last year only had around 10 players playing for a top 7 league team, while Denmark had just around 50 players doing the same... Quite a difference.. and then Denmark is only a 'short walk' from Germany, with countless of foreign player Agents watching games in Denmark at all levels. Not to forget the Danish top player Agents... e.g. John Sivebaek, Søren Lerby and Aabrink (ProActive Management, representing Wayne Rooney, Gravesen and other big names)

http://www.transfermarkt.de/berater/spieler_des_beraters.php4?berater=225

Ther are also foreign Agents (from e.g. Italy and Brazil) actually living and working in Denmark and/or speaking Danish.

If you have a closer look at the German site transfermarkt.de :

http://www.transfermarkt.de/vereine/laender.php4

...you will also notice that Denmark is one of the aboslute top Countries when it comes to players they find interesting to list, and not in any way comparable to the other scandinavian countries, so to say that the past transfer history of Canadians playing in Sweden and Norway, makes it equally difficult for a Canadian to make Denmark as a springboard, just because Denmark is also a part of scandinavia, is wrong in my opinion ...

I hate to take a break from the "Comparison and Analysis of Scandinavian Transfer Market Values" thread, but here are some more rumours:

METROS ACQUIRE VET MIDFIELDER

BRIAN LEWIS

186 words

13 January 2006

New York Post

English

© 2006 N.Y.P. Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved.

In a clear sign the MetroStars are seeking production over potential, the club dealt 18-year-old defender Tim Ward to Columbus for 35-year-old midfielder Chris Henderson yesterday.

Ward played well as a roster-exempt rookie, but had hamstring woes and then didn't play a minute of the five games after Mo Johnston took over as coach.

Henderson, who had eight assists last season, was a teammate of both Johnston and Metros GM Alexi Lalas in Kansas City in 1999. The vet provides not only the work rate Johnston covets, but joins newly acquired former Dundee United midfielder Peter Canero, 24, in giving them the wing play they've lacked.

Dutch club Heerenveen is negotiating to buy 18-year-old defensive midfielder Michael Bradley. Among possible replacements are 26-year-old defensive midfielder Adrian Serioux (who played for Millwall and has seven international appearances for the Canadian national team) and fiery Piotr Swierczewski, who has played 70 games for Poland, including the 2002 World Cup. Johnston may also be targeting defender Marco Reda, Serioux' Canada teammate.

Atiba Hutchinson to FC copenhagen

At a press conference today, FCK presented two new players, the 24-yo Norwegian international (21 caps) Brede Hangeland on a 3½-year contract and the 22-yo Canadian international ( 18 caps, 2 goals)Atiba Hutchinson on a 4½-year contract. The new FCK manager Ståle Solbakken says that both players were his first choice, when looking for reinforcements. Also Portsmouth and Leeds were in the race to get Hangeland.

Hangeland get shirt/squad number 5 and Hutchinson, gets shirt/squad number 13, btw the same number Solbakken used to have when he was a midfield Star at FCK several years ago.

http://www.bolddk.com/nyt/?vis=52628

----

The the exact transfer fees have not been disclosed but are said to be €1.2 million for Hangeland and €1.1 million for Atiba Hutchinson (not including sign-on fees)..

• 2 weeks later...

Rocco Placentino may move up one level in Italy before the transfer market closes. Perugia, the former Serie A team (now in C1B) have expressed interest in Rocco. Gualdo responded that it would be difficult to give up such an important player. Perugia are currently fourth in Serie C1B, 10 points behind leaders Napoli, but in the thick of things for the playoffs.

http://www.gualdocalcio.it/

Archived